DIY resealing driveway. Best product?

zeitgeist57

After spending $600 3 years ago to seal my driveway, only to have it look like crap now...I want to smooth out my own asphalt sealer. I've seen this Airport-grade buckets of sealer at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Latex-ite-4-75-Gal-Airport-Grade-Driveway-Sealer-73066/100479155, and cheapy stuff elsewhere. Any recommendations on what to buy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just use the cheap stuff every couple years. Don't waste your money on the Rustoluem stuff. Neighbor put that stuff down on his drive way the same day I did 2 years ago and it looks the same as mine does now. Process is dead simple.

Replace it with a concrete driveway; very little to no maintenance

^^ this. I had ours done a few weeks ago and am so damn glad to be done with ass-fault.

Until it gets giant cracks in it and starts chunking apart :(

Not if it's done right. Just have it sealed before the first winter then every couple three years after to prevent salt from killing it or causing it to scale. The first winter is the most critical.

Mine is similar in shape, I'm going to cut out sections at a time to spread out the cost of concrete. I'll start at the large parking area, and work my way to the road in sections.

I'll be doing it myself, but the same can be done with contractors.

I ended up buying all the materials for $140 and just finished 90% of it. Will need a 6th barrel to get the edges of the back parking area (where Cleetus sleeps).

Gotta say I'm blown away. Prep work was time-consuming (always is for a good job!) but my neighbors were coming over to watch and everyone said what a great outcome. Really glad I did it, and I only wish I sealed it a year or so ago.

We will eventually get concrete ($14k quote!!!) but I'm happy this airport-grade sealer looks like it'll last a long time. :thumbup::thumbup:

I ended up buying all the materials for $140 and just finished 90% of it. Will need a 6th barrel to get the edges of the back parking area (where Cleetus sleeps).

Gotta say I'm blown away. Prep work was time-consuming (always is for a good job!) but my neighbors were coming over to watch and everyone said what a great outcome. Really glad I did it, and I only wish I sealed it a year or so ago.

We will eventually get concrete ($14k quote!!!) but I'm happy this airport-grade sealer looks like it'll last a long time. :thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats! Ours was about 20yrs old when it started to peel and go to heck. The best and honestly the best company quoted me $1,500 or roughly $3sq. ft. I ended up getting concrete for $2,700 or $5.40 sq. ft. Family business and the guy lives in Arlington area too. Did a great job.

The blacktop guy said to only seal it every 2-3yrs. Let it fully grey out / wear off before doing it again. We did ours every year and I think that's part of what caused it to begin going to hell.

The stuff I listed: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Latex-ite-4-75-Gal-Airport-Grade-Driveway-Sealer-73066/100479155

One of the Home Deep guys helped me out with the rubber squeegee and some of this rope that you fill gaps with and then heat with a torch: THAT took me the most time. I also bought a primer to "neutralize" a couple of oil spots, but I didn't bother with it...if the sealer fails on top of Cleetus' drippings, I'll just patch it or say screw it and seal it again later.

To Tim's point, you're actually supposed to let this stuff cure for a YEAR (warranty claim) and not seal over it for 2-3 years at least. If I stay with asphalt, I'll never pay someone to seal my driveway again. EASY job to do, provided you've got the time. This was a great DIY job for any homeowner with an asphalt driveway that hasn't started buckling yet.

I just came back from watching "Edge of Tomorrow" and checked the driveway. It's dry enough to walk on but I'm looking forward to tomorrow's sunny day to cure it fully. :)

My driveway is jacked up. I just can't prioritize a concrete drive right now and the $15K+ for it. Question is, is it even worth it for me to seal it and fill the cracks? 256' of driveway is a ton of prep.

I would. I didn't think the driveway was terribly bad when I've been there. Certainly salvageable for several years while you save.

I'd rather deal with the cracks than a shitty mess of flaking sealer like we had. I would take a leave blower to it and pull up all I could before getting it redone. Kinda wish I could have gotten it all off. Perhaps I could have if I scraped it. Then perhaps it would have had it's life extended even more. In your case Joe, some of those cracks up top were from the trees.