Lettuce talk about my Barbie car.

Cordell

So off the topic that I want to replace it with a Vette, I can't afford to just go trade it in for a Vette so I need to sell it first. Once I'm out of it I can pay some other things off, an easily buy a Vette in the next 1-1.5 year. Obviously I autocross the car, and wasn't planning on doing it anymore this year, but it has race pads on it, would you take those off? Seems like an obvious yes, but the wheels having been dusted with ridiculous brake dust look like shit so I plastidipped them so they wouldn't look as bad, would you get wheels? Seems like I might let that work out in negotiations.

Now let's say it doesn't sell before spring, I can't see myself not driving it, which means more autocross. Now I personally can't stand the finicky gearbox when racing, how bad would swapping in the more popular 5 speed hurt the value? One of the things most people bitch about in these cars is gearing, and the 5 speed definitely helps that. The 6 speed is notchy and causes you to shift it constantly.

Anyway, I wish someone would show interest, I'd be happy to get payoff and break even on the deal. Id be happy to help the new owner anyway I could. Throw in the extra diff, setup the car however they want, I don't care just so long as I break even.

I'm not that good at selling stuff so any tips or advice would be helpful. Does it even matter to people that Mazdaspeed Miatas are somewhat hard to get, they only made them for 2 years under 4000 of them worldwide, the only factory turbo Miata.

Is it listed on miata sites? Would imagine would be more popular to sell there.

I would be leery as a new buyer buying something with a swapped tranny. In there eyes its wow what did he do to break it (even know you didnt) or if you tell them the truth that its for racing well then they would think its been ragged tohell and back as a race car.

Keep it as it is and wait it out.

I'm going to agree with Paul. I would leave it as-is and try to find a buyer how it sits with the options to change stuff out they might not be interested in.

I've found when listing a car, you're wasting your time listing a bunch of details because people simply don't read. A quick run-down on the car and a good way to contact you should get things moving.

As much as I hate craigslist idiots, it's a good way to sell stuff, too.

A few things you can do to help the sale, is remove the plastidip, and pay for a pro detail inside and out. You already have a rare car, with low miles. Add excellent "showing" condition to that, and you should be able to get quality money out of it.

After you've tried to sell it for whatever threshold you setup as is, I'd think about returning it to stock form.

Good luck.

Put it back to stock.

If the only thing not stock about it are things like pads, etc, do you think he really needs to worry about it?

I think cleaning it up in general is a good idea. Plasti-dipped rims would probably turn me off on the whole car, if it were a random car I was going to look at. I'm not saying to have them professionally powder coated, but maybe try to clean and paint them yourself?

Put it back to stock.

Well as much as I wish it had the stock wheels, it didn't come with them. If you can even find stock wheels they are way to expensive. The ones I have found are damaged anyway, so that's cost prohibitive. Otherwise I'm leaning towards doing stock brake replacement, timing belt, and maybe finding some decent wheels.

Didn't you add a boost controller & FMIC and other small things?

They are more likely to stand out in my mind (especially when combined with race pads) to a perspective buyer than just pads alone.

If you are truly set on getting rid of it quickly, return to 100% stock or as close as you reasonably can and get it detailed as Aaron said.

If the biggest problem with the wheels is brake dust, talk to Tom. He got, or can get, some amazing wheel cleaner from his detailer. Cleaned my father in laws BMW wheels up like new and I don't think they had ever been cleaned. I could not believe it!