First Boat? 1989 Bayliner Capri

DavidBaustert

Going friday to look at my first "real boat". I own a late 80s norris craft bass boat with a 200 merc outboard, but I'm looking to get into something a little more family friendly. Found a 1989 Bayliner Capri with a rebuilt 5.0L ford small block. Anything to look out for on these? I've done some research online, and saw some stuff about questionable hulls? Any advice? Things to look for?

Just walk on it and check for soft spots? Does soft necessarily mean rotted?

if you can, get down where the motor mounts to the main beams and see what that area looks like. That was the first indicator for us that mine was a rotted mess.

I have also heard that Bayliner uses really small main beams in their boats so they are overall weaker structurally.

What is your budget for a boat and what do you primarily see you using it for ?

I don't really have a set budget, but ~$2000 for this one is appealing to me. Primarily, I'll be out on Indian Lake or St Marys or Ceasers Creek putting around, probably some tubing etc, but mostly relaxing.

Cheapest part of owning a boat is the purchase price. Would look at the stringers and transom for rot. Would check the gimble housing and drive for for overall condition as well.

I assume I'll only be able to see what structure is visible from the ski locker. Any suggestions on how to check the rest? How do you check the gimble bearing? Run the engine in gear and take it to extremes (full trim and full lock steering?)?

I saw you didn't buy it, but in general avoid those years of bayliners. More are rotten then not rotten...they were not made well. Also, avoid the OMC line of engines and drives. They closed up a while ago and parts are hard to come by and usually pretty expensive if you do find what you need.

I saw you didn't buy it, but in general avoid those years of bayliners. More are rotten then not rotten...they were not made well. Also, avoid the OMC line of engines and drives. They closed up a while ago and parts are hard to come by and usually pretty expensive if you do find what you need.

Good heads up. Thanks.