How bout that new Tesla P85D...

Putty

He mentioned they'd be starting a CPO program a short while back. Since current Model S' cannot be upgraded to a D, etc, it makes even more sense.

Exactly. They're going to make even more profit by taking current Model S cars and reselling them used.

Should make them much more affordable

Until you're more than a couple years into the car's life and the battery capacity is down to shitsville.

Will make a nice lawn ornament then.

Hence why Elon making the huge battery factory in Nevada and making future cars with easily swapable batteries. Who knows, maybe within 20 years we'll be able to power a car with a battery the size of a cell phone.

yes. but these early models will be 2 years of glory and then boat anchors.

And even then; swappable batteries - remember that the battery is the single most expensive part of the car. By far more expensive than all the electronics, the body, the engines....

Tesla really needs lease program. you DONT want to buy one of these used.

And even then; swappable batteries - remember that the battery is the single most expensive part of the car. By far more expensive than all the electronics, the body, the engines....

The way I heard, you wouldn't pay for the batteries when you swap. You might pay for the charge? Like a tesla "gas station."

Agreed, I wouldn't buy a current model. But leasing sounds like a good option.

New Model S cars have an infinite motor and battery warranty. Its yet to be seen if used/CPO gets the same warranty.

I see there's a lot of speculation in this thread. Actually a lot of errors. The batteries on all the vehicles have a eight year unlimited mile warranty. It stays with the car. How does that compare you your ICE car? I'm really not worried about the battery. My car is two years old, the only thing I put in it, is about 3 gallons of washer fluid, two sets of wiper blades and a set of tires. No oil, no belts, no tune ups, no plugs.....etc. every time I brought my BMW in for an oil change they always found an extra $600 of crap to fix. I don't even pay for electricity, as I go to the local supercharger twice a week, we can charge it for free. Takes less than 30 minutes. It's at a mall so I grab a cup or dinner while I wait......oh my phone pings when it is full. There will be a sub $50k car in 2016, in the mean time, the used Model S is now in the $70-80k range. Do the math. Yes, it is more expensive upfront.......but with almost zero maintenance, they become very affordable. It costs $7 to charge it full at home. That's like 2 gallons of gas for 270 miles. 270 miles on a charge is plenty, how many days does anyone actually drive more than that? And if you do, the GPS leads you right to all the local chargers. If you need to go farther and are worried.....take another car or rent one for that trip. As for the D......got it on order, only disappointed it did not include time travel. Edited by Sledhead36

Il own a tesla, in about 15-20 years :) like sled head said up front more expensive overall there is nothing that can compair on maintenance. How many oil leaks or coolant leaks or bad gaskets or leaking power steering do you see ?? Awesome cars

Sounds pretty good sled.

I still worry about cycling. I've no doubt the batteries shelve wonderfully. So as a 3rd or vacation car I think it'd be great. Sooner or later though people are going to start buying these as DDs and racking miles, and hence charge cycles. And nobody has solved the cycling decay problem yet.

Been working with batteries for the past 10 years and was PM on a couple recent battery tech projects for two local power co's. (part of it driven by Tesla's success ironically enough - they're looking to bite into the big oil co's cookie). So I'm living in that space atm.

However your mention of free replacement shuts me up. I like that alot.

What are the threshold terms on the battery replacement? Does it have to be catastrophic or complete failure? Do you have to be original owner? Does a % degradation in capacity qualify? I'm figuring they'd have to bake in some allowable decay (because it will happen) in the fine print or they'd be on the hook for every battery in every car they sold. Do they say something like "10% degradation per X thousand miles is acceptable performance and therefore doesn't qualify for replacement"?

I just wonder if there can't be a used market for these things like ICVs wherein 10-20 yr old well kept models go for cheap letting the blue collar crowd enjoy them some hot iron.

But who knows... Musk ain't no fool. He's researching battery tech like no tomorrow. So I agree in the future these problems will be solved.

I may have to get on one of these babies. The V is getting long in the tooth.

My car is two years old, the only thing I put in it, is about 3 gallons of washer fluid, two sets of wiper blades and a set of tires. No oil, no belts, no tune ups, no plugs.....etc. every time I brought my BMW in for an oil change they always found an extra $600 of crap to fix.

I see your point but in reality I've never had to put anything into a car that's only two years old either. Can't speak to a BMW and it's required maintenance.

I don't even pay for electricity, as I go to the local supercharger twice a week, we can charge it for free. Takes less than 30 minutes. It's at a mall so I grab a cup or dinner while I wait......oh my phone pings when it is full. There will be a sub $50k car in 2016, in the mean time, the used Model S is now in the $70-80k range. Do the math. Yes, it is more expensive upfront.......but with almost zero maintenance, they become very affordable.

I dont' agree with the very affordable comment. I have 60k on my Fusion that gets on average 21mpg. I track all my fuel costs on my company credit card and I've average about $190 mo in it's fuel costs. To date I've put really nothing in it except a tranny fail that Ford is known for and they did come back and cover for me (the company). One set of tires, brakes and oil changes that cost me $35 per. The first two years were free too.

In the end it boils down to Teslas are great cars but very high priced now but perhaps expected given the tech. and cars are so new. Trying to cost justify one will be a Urinary Olympic Event IMO and as an average buyer who doesn't see value in spending that much coin on transportation, it's my opinion that I'll take my savings up front vs over the use of the car.

Face it, even a 7yr old Tesla is going to be "old" and boring to the owner after that long so how long are they really going to keep it? They may have to keep it to extract the value vs other leading lines of cars. I'd rather buy a used something else or lease a new something else. IMO Tesla needs to get a good highly incentivized lease program and start putting out some volume.

Back to the P85....very cool and indeed a nice ride. I'd still rather suck gas and have a Hellcat Charger that produces a sound that better than sex.

I test drove an S 2 weeks ago. The low end is nice, but similar to the Prius I drove the week prior. I describe it as instant momentum, not thrust. Thrust is what I want. Its just odd really, and didn't do anything for me as a car enthusiast. I did not buy, and actually left thinking I would never buy. It became apparent to me that the big appeal to a Tesla is still exclusivity IMO. I am not enough of a douche to care about that. As far as the gas mileage goes, I'm not nerdy enough to drive a sports car that makes no sound. Maybe when I retire?

Even then I'd still get a NEW Prius and a Used 911, cut the mufflers off that, use the rest on hookers and blow.

All that > Tesla

I test drove an S 2 weeks ago. The low end is nice, but similar to the Prius I drove the week prior. I describe it as instant momentum, not thrust. Thrust is what I want. Its just odd really, and didn't do anything for me as a car enthusiast. I did not buy, and actually left thinking I would never buy. It became apparent to me that the big appeal to a Tesla is still exclusivity IMO. I am not enough of a douche to care about that. As far as the gas mileage goes, I'm not nerdy enough to drive a sports car that makes no sound. Maybe when I retire?

Even then I'd still get a NEW Prius and a Used 911, cut the mufflers off that, use the rest on hookers and blow.

All that > Tesla

Or look like a douche in a Prius while your 996 is spewing coolant everywhere ;)

Model S is awesome for what it is, just have to be open minded

Eh, they seem to be dead nuts reliable @ 700whp. I could live with that as a DD. :)

Ims issues and the coolant pipes that need the motor pulled to fix scare me, and the interior is garbage after you've been in a 997. If you're serious about a 996 though you can get one fairly cheap, good value for the money