First time picking up a camera

Farkas

Welp, an XSi fell into my hands for free and I decided I would start teaching myself to take some photos. My roommate used to shoot a ton of weddings and stuff so he had a bunch of pointers he could give me.

Learned a ton about lenses, f-stops, ISO, and shutter speed on my very first outing. I borrowed my roommates 85mm f1.8, which is closer to a 135 on my camera, and went to town. Already made my first apparent goof and wasn't shooting in RAW.. oh well. First time touching Lightroom as well. I'm looking to pick up a 50mm 1.8 if anyone has one they'd like to let go.

Enjoy

15311426839_e615727e8b_b.jpg

15475193746_ba16cbcdf3_b.jpg

15498329205_eb108c4b04_b.jpg

15311748847_89375aefcd_b.jpg

15498322925_dde56d7aba_b.jpg

15311413889_af3859f9b9_b.jpg

Glass makes a world of difference. That's a great lens and you took some great shots. Everything is completely composed properly, exposure is good, focal points are correct.

The only idea I can offer is on the 3/4 shots is to turn the wheel slightly to show off the pretty shoes.

I'm playing around this weekend with doing more low level and high level shots. Mix those in and really have fun.

Glass makes a world of difference. That's a great lens and you took some great shots. Everything is completely composed properly, exposure is good, focal points are correct.

The only idea I can offer is on the 3/4 shots is to turn the wheel slightly to show off the pretty shoes.

I'm playing around this weekend with doing more low level and high level shots. Mix those in and really have fun.

Yeah, I have a kit lens that's pretty much junk, and I knew that right away after my roommate let me borrow some of his glass. I ended up buying a 50 f1.8 today and I'm very excited to get some shots with it. I'll probably stick with this setup for a while and then once I grow out of the XSi, I'll step up to a full-frame 5D.

What is it about the pics that says 1970s to me? If the car wasn't "stanced" (or whatever you want to call it) I'd think these were straight out of my Mom's photoalblum.

Fit the car though, still like the red car better.

Thanks, Scott. The editing I did on the photos adds that "Polaroid" look, I guess you could call it. Some would say over-edited, but I think it looks pretty cool.

Yeah, I have a kit lens that's pretty much junk, and I knew that right away after my roommate let me borrow some of his glass. I ended up buying a 50 f1.8 today and I'm very excited to get some shots with it. I'll probably stick with this setup for a while and then once I grow out of the XSi, I'll step up to a full-frame 5D.

Thanks, Scott. The editing I did on the photos adds that "Polaroid" look, I guess you could call it. Some would say over-edited, but I think it looks pretty cool.

I really want a 5d mark iii, but my 70d is working well. You will like that 50mm, works great for static shots. Spend the money on a really nice tripod and head, trust me that's not an item to cheap out on.