Any Roadbike guys on here?

HotCarl

So I've been contemplating buying a road bike (maybe a mountain bike) for the past few months. I have NO IDEA what to look for. Any suggestions?

I would like something entry level / intermediate, but not off a walmart sales rack.

I'm 80/20 road bike vs mountain bike, I think i would get more use out of a road bike.

Would be used primarily for exercise and riding paths in the city.

Are there better deals and sales in the colder months b/c its not peak season for riding? If so should i wait a few weeks to make a purchase?

Any suggestions on where to shop? I'd prefer a local store rather than a large chain but whoever gives me the best deal is where I'll go.

Assuming there are different sizes of frames, do people get fitted or just whatever feels comfortable? (im 6ft and don't want to be on my tippy toes or hunched over either)

So far I have $350 saved in cash i could throw at it, but I could spend a bit more if i had to. A good friend just picked up a nice bike for $500 brand new, I would be willing to buy used if it was in good condition and a reputable brand.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

. I have NO IDEA what to look for. Any suggestions?

Suggestions? Stay off the road so u dont back up traffic. Ideas on what to look for? See the video below.

Stay safe dont be a jerkoff and back up traffic and hope you find something and you enjoy it. Have fun!!

Edited by Paul

It's like car shopping man, used market always has the better deals but you have to wade through a lot of garbage to get them.

I don't know if $350 even puts you in the ballpark for a good new road bike, I mean there are ok entry level ones from specialized at that price (bike source) but knowing me I would inevitably spend money upgrading the crankset and then have a really nice crank set on a shitty frame.

This is going to sound crazy but take a look at 1980's panasonics. They are an amazing quality for the money mostly because people see the same name that was on their VCR and think shitty licensing deal but in reality they were one of the few steel frame bikes that was Tour de France competitive in box stock config. Usually the hardware is top shelf campignolo or shimano stuff and the frame tube is ohio steel (yes they shipped us steel from ohio to japan, made bicycle frames, then shipped the bicycles back). They are 20-30 year old bicycles now so you want one that's maintained and not sitting in the back of the garage for 20 years. The best part is I rarely see them over $250 on craigslist. But admittedly I am a Panasonic fetishist (I own 3 including the sport dx my dad bought me in 1989).

At $350 there are a lot of great old bikes if you don't need to have the latest tech like carbon frames and ultralight wheels. 90's cannondales are the last of the US made ones and usually inexpensive as well. In 1994 I spent a summer biking down the coast of Maine on one and regret ever letting it go.

It's like anything, do your homework.

So I've been contemplating buying a road bike (maybe a mountain bike) for the past few months. I have NO IDEA what to look for. Any suggestions?

I would like something entry level / intermediate, but not off a walmart sales rack.

I'm 80/20 road bike vs mountain bike, I think i would get more use out of a road bike.

Would be used primarily for exercise and riding paths in the city.

Are there better deals and sales in the colder months b/c its not peak season for riding? If so should i wait a few weeks to make a purchase?

Any suggestions on where to shop? I'd prefer a local store rather than a large chain but whoever gives me the best deal is where I'll go.

Assuming there are different sizes of frames, do people get fitted or just whatever feels comfortable? (im 6ft and don't want to be on my tippy toes or hunched over either)

So far I have $350 saved in cash i could throw at it, but I could spend a bit more if i had to. A good friend just picked up a nice bike for $500 brand new, I would be willing to buy used if it was in good condition and a reputable brand.

1) Get a bike that fits - it has less to do with height and more to do with inseam. If you are average (at 6') you will likely need a 23" or 24" (yea, I'm old - we did them in inches "back in the day - roughly 58-61cm)

2) Older '60's-'80's road bikes CAN BE a bargain today. Nishiki, Fuji, Falcon, Raleigh, all built a full line of bikes from entry level on up to a very high quality

3) Look for frames that are chrome moly and preferably "double-butted" tubing. (Reynolds 531 was the big name, but many Japanese bikes had their own tubing "brand").

4) Alloy side pull brakes (Dura Ace, Campagnola are best in that era) though most will have an alloy "center pull" brake. Alloy rims and alloy quick release hubs F & R (fronts are very common). Alloy seat posts are typical on the higher end models.

Once Ridden bikes on Indianola sometimes has good deals (they had a beautiful used Falcon there a few weeks back) but you will still pay more than a CL bike. Also figure on spending a few bucks to get it serviced up (or do it yourself) - true the wheels, clean repack bearings, adjust brakes & deralleurs.

Even at $350, some of the vintage road bikes are now getting tougher to find/buy. You really just need to go visit several bike stores (new & used) listen and learn before you go drop your cash.

For $500, you can probably find a 3-4 year old Cannondale (CAAD8), Trek 1.1-1.2, Specialized Allez, with Tiagra or 105 components that would be a good starter bike.

Peformance isn't horrible, but theyre kinda like Walmart for bikes. They sell mainly lower brand stuff (Fuji, GT, Diamondback), but they're not like shit you get at walmart/target/dicks. None of those brands are bad, especially to get started. Upgrade later if you like it.

Also, I'm a roadie, that's where my vote is. I've done MTB, and it's a blast, BUT, you always have to go somewhere to do it. Road bike I can walk out my front door and just go. How tall are you? I'll look around a bit tomorrow and see if any friends are selling anything end of season

I got an 80's Raleigh for under $200 and had to put about $50 into it to get it road ready. I'd start looking at the older road bikes and if you get into it spend more money down the road.

Go into a store and get fitted so you know what to look for when buying.

it depends what you want but last winter I went through all the research and decided to get something slightly over $1000 range so it'd be fitted with good components to resell if I decided I didn't like it. Went with a cyclocross bike so I could handle some light offroad path riding, but it's not MTB. It has slightly knobby tires but would be easy to swap road tires on.

I got a Jamis Nova Race and it fits me well, it just took some getting used to since I grew up in New England and constantly riding MTBs. Enjoyed my buying experience at Baer Wheels.

EDIT: I guess I could add that all my buying/shopping decisions were guided by a friend of mine who has worked for Kenda and Continental, and is a psychotic biker; he's probably got a dozen bikes, each for a different purpose, and I'm pretty sure he'd live on 2 wheels if it were possible.

all depends on what you want to do. a good compromise is a cyclecross bike. basically a road bike with slightly bigger tires and more powerful brakes. no suspension. you can ride it on the road as well as light terrain---dirt, crushed gravel, grass, etc.

get a used bike and find out if you like it first. you probably need to spend upwards of $500 to get anything decent, even used.

all depends on what you want to do. a good compromise is a cyclecross bike. basically a road bike with slightly bigger tires and more powerful brakes. no suspension. you can ride it on the road as well as light terrain---dirt, crushed gravel, grass, etc.

get a used bike and find out if you like it first. you probably need to spend upwards of $500 to get anything decent, even used.

truth, see my above post. CX bike is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Performance is a good place to start and fitted. You'll get the best prices there versus buying new at a small shop because they are a volume dealer. That said, you're budget is going to get you the low end bikes. I would look used with your budget.

I just bought a mtb this year and while it is a lot of fun, there is also a lot of time used getting to and from the trail. Road biking is much more readily available.

i am disappoint. How you have changed CR, how you have changed.:nono:

Based on your original post a cyclocross bike does sound like it would fit the bill. Pop on down to your local bike shop or since you're in Dublin there are a cluster of shops off sawmill that could help you out. Whatever you choose just make sure you fit comfortably ( wrist, hands, neck, shoulders etc) & buy used. Alot of people sink major money into their first adult bike just to have it taking up space in the garage a few years later. This time of year is definitely a good time to buy. And dont be afraid of a bike thats 5-10 years old. I ride 1000-1500mi a year or so & i'm still rolling around on the same used bike I "splurged" on in college... I think it was new in 2002.

Go MTB. I would much rather have to drive to a trail then ride on the road. I ride my MTB five miles on the road to the local MTB trail regularly and I just cannot see how riding on the road would be fun for anyone. Maybe it's more fun with a group, but I doubt it.

I wouldn't go with the cyclocross bike. You won't be able to ride it seriously on the road with a group and you won't be able to go on any actual MTB trails. Better to just get an actual MTB and get an extra set of wheels with hybrid tires if you want to do some street riding.

As an avid mtb rider I completely disagree about road not being fun. A road bike will be much more versatile and readily available, not having to rely on trail conditions etc. Road riding provides a level of self-challenge that is similar to running. Cyclocross bikes have a very specific use and you can find other styles that are more suitable - i.e. an upright hybrid bike. IMO he should look into hybrids. Way different than a cross bike.

^^^i agree. I do quite a bit of each, and have just as much fun doing both. I have a two mile mt bike course across the street from me. I hit up a couple laps on that trail for explosive power training. And then use the road bike for a 25 mile constant, steady burn. Two totally different types of ride. Both are fun in their own way. Funny, I put up a huge fuss about a local bike club building the trail across the street---it's an 80 acre nature preserve. I didn't want the extra traffic in my neighborhood or the liability/irritation of people near my property. I never see anyone on the trail, and I use it nearly every week, sometimes a couple times a week

So since i made this bike I've decided to up my price to $500 (which was always doable i just wanted a "feel for the market"). I would prefer to go used, entry level roadbike. The only reason I choose road is because i can see myself using it far more often a dedicated mountain bike. And while cyclo-cross is interesting that may be something I get into in the future. I'm maybe a mile or two away from olentangy trail that runs through worthington and continues south.

Comfort level is key for me. From playing hockey I noticed things like using a shorter stick or skates that aren't as high/tall as I'm use to can cause lower back pain and discomfort. As cool as super fast road bikes are they don't look comfortable at all. So that's a priority, I want something that I will enjoy getting on and riding for miles and not dread the discomfort.

i'm on vacation next week so I'll probably shop around a bit and annoy some salesmen with endless question's before making my purchase.

Thanks for all the advice fella's, if there's anything else by all means post it up. I would rather make an informed decision than just go out and buy whats pretty and shiny.

^ not a bad deal as long as the OP is at least 6'2. I'm 5'11 and ride a 54 and 56.

Also OP, I know it doesnt "look" comfortable, but if you get a bike that fits you, its not. FWIW, I have a bulging disc in my back and find that it only bothers me if I dont get out and ride every few days. Its the physical activity I do that doesnt bother me at all. Even standing/walking is harder on my back than being in a riding position for 2-5 hours.

lol Anthony.

Strava is great, mainly to just give you information on your rides, routes, elevations, moving time corrections and average speeds. It is just a tool to use, and to share amongst riders. I am on there, I enjoy it, although I do not go "hunting" for segments like some do. I just ride, and sometimes its fun to look at afterwords.

Evan, I have meet you at Westerville before. You ride in the A ride I believe, I have the black and white Giant with Reynolds wheels. I am no pro, but collegiate level athlete according to my vo2 testing.

As for the OP and other posters; I think everyone has the right idea. That being running is the worst thing you could ever do to your body and ride a bike. Now the type of bike, or comfort depends on what your after.

MTB is a blast, there is no better exercise where you mentally block everything out, focus, and suffer. On the road, it is slightly different. You can get into a group ride, and talk and socialize on the bike, or get in groups were everyone trys to drop you, and you hang on for dear life.

My personal preference is a split of both, but I am more into riding the road now-a-days. Here is my reasoning.

On the road its just you and the bike and how far and how hard you want to go. Another plus is on your wrists and body as on road, there are no trees, mud, rocks, roots, bumps, ect that you get on the trails, which tend to beat you up over time. On the road you can step out your front door and normally just go out for a ride, thats nice. Comfort is acquired so to speak on the road bike. While most people see the tiny seat and think, NO WAY MY ASS FITS THAT. With proper fit and gear it can be comfortable to ride 100 miles at a time. You can setup almost all road bikes to seat you more upright as well, and or pick a frame design that is intended to be more comfortable (shorter top tube design). It is safer to put more training in on the road bike as well vs mtb. MTB being some anaerobic, and skillful, and tricky riding can in turn create more crashes, thats bad. On the road the only issue is Sophia and her cell phone texting and driving...So there are cons to both there.

As far as the mtb though, it is awesome. I started on the trails and have been likened more so to the road like Mike mentioned above. MTB riding is hard though, on your gear, and takes more maintenance. But the rewards are great, riding in the woods can be tranquil. Like I said when your riding in the trails with purpose you can only think about looking in front of you, not your shitty day at work, or any crap like that. It all goes out the window, because if you dont focus, and your riding a trail that is moderately challenging, you will crash.

Really if I were you, get a road bike. You can setup it up to be more upright if you're worried about comfort. Get some miles in, get comfortable on it. Find local "group rides" like in westerville, new albaney, dublin ect, these are great for training and enjoying other bike geeks. I do not think you will regret it.

Oh and there really isnt anything IMO harder then long hard rides. I have done all the 5k-10k's, half marathons, tri athealons, soccer, power lifting ect. Hard riding will essenitally destroy you, in a good way. Example, a modest 64 mile ride me and Mike did last saturday burned 3200 calories at and average speed of 19.4 mph, not crazy fast but good tempo. I can burn more calories in one ride then most humans should intake in a day.

Also side note, make sure you budget for lycra padded shorts, helmet, pedals, shoes, jersey. If you think your to cool to wear "tights"... think again, after the first ride where your ass cheeks are so chaffed from sliding around in the seat you will change your mind.

If anyone ever wants to ride, me and Mike ride quit a bit, PM and I will get you in my group email.