Any Roadbike guys on here?

HotCarl

Carl, just watch out riding with Evan's group. They like to ride through unsafe areas and get angry at safe drivers for their own agenda.

Stay away from New Albrony, some douchetard in a Fordcedes damn near ran me off the road last time. Had to get two tetanus shots! I'd highly recommend mountain biking, less crazies to run your ass over. Alum, caesar creek, vulture's knob, but you would prob have to drive there :(

:gabe: :fa: New Albrony :lolguy:

Oh and there really isnt anything IMO harder then long hard rides. I have done all the 5k-10k's, half marathons, tri athealons, soccer, power lifting ect. Hard riding will essenitally destroy you, in a good way. Example, a modest 64 mile ride me and Mike did last saturday burned 3200 calories at and average speed of 19.4 mph, not crazy fast but good tempo. I can burn more calories in one ride then most humans should intake in a day.

Also side note, make sure you budget for lycra padded shorts, helmet, pedals, shoes, jersey. If you think your to cool to wear "tights"... think again, after the first ride where your ass cheeks are so chaffed from sliding around in the seat you will change your mind.

Thanks for the great info brandon. I'm trying to get into hobbies that i can sustain for a long time and that are actually healthy for me (you mean drinking beer isn't healthy?). Turning 31 this week and the last 10 years of hockey have taken its toll, i hope to be one of those guys on the ice at 50-60 years old but im already feeling it in my knees. Hoping biking can be a bit easier on the joints in my old age.

That being said, i looked at some bikes over the weekend. Rode a Cannondale Quick 6 ( http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/fitness-urban/fitness/quick-sl-quick/quick-6 ) which was nice, a bit overpriced at the store i was at, it seemed more like a compromise. It wasn't really a dedicated road bike or a dedicated mountain bike but the saleman explained i could switch out the tires etc... but that was the only bike they had in my price range so I'm going to do some more shopping this week. I did like the fact that I could just put around the city with it, afterall im not looking for a dedicated super-fast race bike I want to enjoy just riding someplace instead of driving also.

As for the sweet lycra and tights, yeah not sure about that but we'll see.

Also when asking about the size of the bike i was riding the salesmen just said it was a "large" I thought they were sized in cm? Or is the general sizing of S M L just for entry level bikes?

Thanks for the great info brandon. I'm trying to get into hobbies that i can sustain for a long time and that are actually healthy for me (you mean drinking beer isn't healthy?). Turning 31 this week and the last 10 years of hockey have taken its toll, i hope to be one of those guys on the ice at 50-60 years old but im already feeling it in my knees. Hoping biking can be a bit easier on the joints in my old age.

That being said, i looked at some bikes over the weekend. Rode a Cannondale Quick 6 ( http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/fitness-urban/fitness/quick-sl-quick/quick-6 ) which was nice, a bit overpriced at the store i was at, it seemed more like a compromise. It wasn't really a dedicated road bike or a dedicated mountain bike but the saleman explained i could switch out the tires etc... but that was the only bike they had in my price range so I'm going to do some more shopping this week. I did like the fact that I could just put around the city with it, afterall im not looking for a dedicated super-fast race bike I want to enjoy just riding someplace instead of driving also.

As for the sweet lycra and tights, yeah not sure about that but we'll see.

Also when asking about the size of the bike i was riding the salesmen just said it was a "large" I thought they were sized in cm? Or is the general sizing of S M L just for entry level bikes?

That is exactly the kind of bike I had in mind for you, based on your comments. One thing to consider, and I don't want to dissuade you, cycling is not necessarily good for your knees. For those that ride hard/for a long time it is the number one complaint.

I second Brandon's comment about lycra. It's a process, everyone that get's into cycling goes through it. Might as well skip the awkward phase of wearing jeans and a BMX helmet.

As for sizing standards, it varies. Most mt bikes are s/m/l, but there are some brands of road bikes that size the same way - Giant for instance. They are the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world..

That is exactly the kind of bike I had in mind for you, based on your comments. One thing to consider, and I don't want to dissuade you, cycling is not necessarily good for your knees. For those that ride hard/for a long time it is the number one complaint.

I second Brandon's comment about lycra. It's a process, everyone that get's into cycling goes through it. Might as well skip the awkward phase of wearing jeans and a BMX helmet.

As for sizing standards, it varies. Most mt bikes are s/m/l, but there are some brands of road bikes that size the same way - Giant for instance. They are the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world..

Really? i would've thought since there's no impact in biking like there is with running/jogging it would be a bit easier. I suppose nothing like swimming though.

Anyway, I wouldn't wear jeans more of workout clothes of some sort. Those tights seem like they would be a bit 'unflattering' on a chubby guy like me but in the end i don't care whatever is most comfortable during and after is what i'll choose.

Funny, because I have no joint issues from cycling for 4 years now but i cant run/jog for shit because its too high impact.

Yes.

Think about running v. cycling as a long term investment.

Ever see runners running at 60+? Sure. Ever See a runner running at 60+ that doesn't look miserable, awful cadence, odd posture, ect? Not really, and that is because their joints have all quit on them from being abused their whole life.

Now there are cyclists that are in there 60s' still going on 100K rides at 19 mph averages. They hop of the bike and walk normal, because they saved their joints from the stress's of running.

Funny, because I have no joint issues from cycling for 4 years now but i cant run/jog for shit because its too high impact.

Oh I can't run either. It's just instant fatigue for me. I was talking about recumbents. After riding one for the summer, I can't see a good reason to go back to a traditional bike as my primary.

I got my bike for a steal was $2500 new I picked it up used for $500. Friend of mine has a mobile bike repair setup. If you want I can give you his info and he can find you a bike he still does do some bike sales (used to own a shop up in Polaris).

I got my bike for a steal was $2500 new I picked it up used for $500. Friend of mine has a mobile bike repair setup. If you want I can give you his info and he can find you a bike he still does do some bike sales (used to own a shop up in Polaris).

What is his name, I think I know who this is.

some of my best patients are former runners. they are all thin.

biking is much easier on your joints, compared to running. all this is considering you use moderation. bike for 100 miles at a time?? yes, your knees may hurt. bike 15-20 miles at a time?? no problem.