College Football Thread v6.0

bicranium

Cant wait to watch Miss St. and Alabama battle it out this Saturday.

I hope Miss State curbstomps Alabama, but I fear Bama is going to win. When the latter happens, Bama will become #2 and Miss State will only drop to like #6 - conveniently parked right in front of Ohio State.

The hope is that Miss State blasts Alabama so that we can say Alabama was overrated and toss them from the top 10.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Miss State curbstomps Alabama, but I fear Bama is going to win. When the latter happens, Bama will become #2 and Miss State will only drop to like #6 - conveniently parked right in front of Ohio State.

The hope is that Miss State blasts Alabama so that we can say Alabama was overrated and toss them from the top 10.

I'm 100% with you.

I am a Bama fan this week, I want Bama to win, Ole Miss to beat Miss St. Then you can say bye bye to Miss St.

Next we need Auburn to beat Bama, then Bama has 2 losses, bye bye SEC!!! As I said in another post, it would be really hard for the committee to explain to the other power 4 conferences who have a undefeated or 1 loss conference champion, how a 2 loss SEC team is better than them.

I am a Bama fan this week, I want Bama to win, Ole Miss to beat Miss St. Then you can say bye bye to Miss St.

Next we need Auburn to beat Bama, then Bama has 2 losses, bye bye SEC!!! As I said in another post, it would be really hard for the committee to explain to the other power 4 conferences who have a undefeated or 1 loss conference champion, how a 2 loss SEC team is better than them.

Or if bama loses to both and they are a 3 loss team :nod:

I think Wilson missing action is a blessing in disguise, as much as I hate to root against a kid he pisses me off. All I read and heard during his recruitment was how explosive he was and how we stole him from Oregon. Flash forward 2 years and he has done absolutely nothing to show me that he is what I was told he was.
I agree with this statement 100%. All I see Wilson doing is making poor decisions, fumbling the ball and getting stupid penalties called against him, he hasn't showed Buckeye nation anything he was hyped up to be.

That's asking for a lot. I think it'd be simpler to just have Bama lose on Saturday. One SEC team isn't necessarily bad, especially if that team (theoretically, Mississippi State) ran the table.

Nonetheless, I'd be perfectly happy with your solution too.

FSU, Oregon/ASU/BigXII, tOSU (assuming Nebraska wins out to give us another top 10 win in the CCG, AND we win convincingly)/BigXII, Mississippi State/Bama/BigXII.

I think the Big XII and the Pac-12 are in more of a clusterfuck for their slot(s) than we are, tbh. We're a household brand with a fanbase that travels far and wide. Kinda hard to say the same about ASU/TCU/Baylor. Also, some jimmies are gonna be rustled if TCU gets the spot over Baylor (assuming they both win out, which they should at this point), despite losing to Baylor.

Rambling.

On the Braxton/Barrett subject

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11853865/ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-urban-meyer-less-committed-braxton-miller-2015

I think if there is a 1 loss or 0 loss SEC champion you can all but write OSU off, unless one of the other power 4 conferences suffer a major upset. You almost have to assume Florida State is winning out unless Florida can pull another upset out of their asses. So theres 2 out of 4 spots taken already. That leaves Pac12, Big12 and Big10. Lets see what each have working for them and against them shall we.

Pac12: Top 10 matchup of Oregon vs Arizona State in conference championship game would be huge.

Oregon has a victory over Michigan St in a simlar fashion to us plus they play flashy football. They also have 2 other victories over top 25 schools at the time of their game.

Arizona State has 4 victories over teams ranked in the top 25 at the time of their game.

Big12: No conference championship game, might come back to hurt them.

Baylor: Defeated TCU and then destroyed Oklahoma in Norman. Plus they still have to play KSU who will be another top 25 team. Loss to West Virginia is a bad one on paper now.

TCU: 4 victories over teams ranked in the top 25 at the time of their game. Loss to Baylor, gonna be hard to explain how they are better than a team they lost to should they both win out.

Big 10: A top 10 matchup of OSU/Nebraska in conference championship game would be huge as well.

Ohio State: Loss to Va Tech is still killing them. Win against Michigan St helps, if Nebraska is top 10 a win against them would be huge.

Nebraska: Only loss on the season is to Michigan St by 5 at MSU. Beating a top 10 OSU team would help their case.

The only thing that may help the B10 champion is the fact that the B12 champion didn't have to play in a championship game. Not to mention you have to think beating a top 5-10 team in the last game to remain a 1 loss team and champion is far more impressive than a team sitting at home watching the games. It honestly just depends on what the committee puts value in.

If Alabama wins, then there's a good chance they become #1. They'd certainly have the best overall resume of everyone not named Florida State, and you could even make a case of them being ranked over Florida State by virtue of an eyeball test. (Florida State has looked fairly pedestrian all season long.) And what happens if Florida State loses and Alabama wins? Then you have a nightmare scenario in which Miss State only falls to like #4 or #5, Alabama is at #1. That means the SEC will be knocking on the door with 2 teams in the playoff - Bama (presuming they beat Auburn) and winner of Miss State/Ole Miss game.

Don't get me wrong - I like your scenario, but I think it might be asking too much (like airwg said).

That's asking for a lot. I think it'd be simpler to just have Bama lose on Saturday. One SEC team isn't necessarily bad, especially if that team (theoretically, Mississippi State) ran the table.

Nonetheless, I'd be perfectly happy with your solution too.

FSU, Oregon/ASU/BigXII, tOSU (assuming Nebraska wins out to give us another top 10 win in the CCG, AND we win convincingly)/BigXII, Mississippi State/Bama/BigXII.

I think the Big XII and the Pac-12 are in more of a clusterfuck for their slot(s) than we are, tbh. We're a household brand with a fanbase that travels far and wide. Kinda hard to say the same about ASU/TCU/Baylor. Also, some jimmies are gonna be rustled if TCU gets the spot over Baylor (assuming they both win out, which they should at this point), despite losing to Baylor.

Rambling.

I agree. I also think Ohio State is "peaking" at the right time. We have a month to stay front and center in the collective consciousness. If Ohio State continues to win convincingly - especially on the big stage of B10 championship game - then everyone will be clamoring for them to be one of the four picks, regardless of how things play out right now. Ohio State will be the poster child for the "eyeball test" criterion that the committee has said they will consider. Everyone will be saying, "Imma let you finish Florida State, but let me first say that Ohio State is playing the best football right now."

Of course, none of this means dick if Ohio State happens to shit the bed from here on out.

Tilley, never got your take on here about what you think on the Miller/Barrett Saga.

what say you?

If I had to make a call today, then I take Barrett as my QB and don't think twice about it.

If Barrett continues to play as well as he has from here on out, then I don't think there's any way that Meyer can justifiably sit him for a lesser QB in Miller. Barrett has shown himself to be superior to Miller in everything with the exception of explosive running ability, and, quite frankly, I think that's actually a liability for the team in the long run. I think Ohio State gets too one-dimensional with Miller at QB (which is because he's such a phenomenal athlete, so it's difficult not to game-plan around him continuously). It's almost like Miller becomes a talent black-hole when he's on the field; all of the other weapons lose their luster when he's around because he monopolizes so many of the plays. The loss of Miller has been, in my opinion, the classic example of addition by subtraction.

I really like Miller. Nothing against the guy. I hope he has an ultra successful career in whatever he does. But I think - quite simply - Barrett is the better QB. Thus, in my mind, the choice is simple: you go with the better QB.

I agree with this statement 100%. All I see Wilson doing is making poor decisions, fumbling the ball and getting stupid penalties called against him, he hasn't showed Buckeye nation anything he was hyped up to be.

they made him out to be the next percy harvin. every time he receives the ball, we were told he could run it back all the way. i don't recall him having done that yet.

If I had to make a call today, then I take Barrett as my QB and don't think twice about it.

If Barrett continues to play as well as he has from here on out, then I don't think there's any way that Meyer can justifiably sit him for a lesser QB in Miller. Barrett has shown himself to be superior to Miller in everything with the exception of explosive running ability, and, quite frankly, I think that's actually a liability for the team in the long run. I think Ohio State gets too one-dimensional with Miller at QB (which is because he's such a phenomenal athlete, so it's difficult not to game-plan around him continuously). It's almost like Miller becomes a talent black-hole when he's on the field; all of the other weapons lose their luster when he's around because he monopolizes so many of the plays. The loss of Miller has been, in my opinion, the classic example of addition by subtraction.

I really like Miller. Nothing against the guy. I hope he has an ultra successful career in whatever he does. But I think - quite simply - Barrett is the better QB. Thus, in my mind, the choice is simple: you go with the better QB.

i would primarily use barrett. i would use miller as a halfback who can throw the ball. imagine him taking a direct snap wildcat style, yet throwing the ball. or catching a screen pass and running with it, or even throwing it. i always thought he was a better running back, than passer. this way, he doesn't have to show the nfl recruiters that his shoulder would never hold up as a passer in the nfl (and it won't).

On the Braxton/Barrett subject

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11853865/ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-urban-meyer-less-committed-braxton-miller-2015

I think if there is a 1 loss or 0 loss SEC champion you can all but write OSU off, unless one of the other power 4 conferences suffer a major upset. You almost have to assume Florida State is winning out unless Florida can pull another upset out of their asses. So theres 2 out of 4 spots taken already. That leaves Pac12, Big12 and Big10. Lets see what each have working for them and against them shall we.

Pac12: Top 10 matchup of Oregon vs Arizona State in conference championship game would be huge.

Oregon has a victory over Michigan St in a simlar fashion to us plus they play flashy football. They also have 2 other victories over top 25 schools at the time of their game.

Arizona State has 4 victories over teams ranked in the top 25 at the time of their game.

Big12: No conference championship game, might come back to hurt them.

Baylor: Defeated TCU and then destroyed Oklahoma in Norman. Plus they still have to play KSU who will be another top 25 team. Loss to West Virginia is a bad one on paper now.

TCU: 4 victories over teams ranked in the top 25 at the time of their game. Loss to Baylor, gonna be hard to explain how they are better than a team they lost to should they both win out.

Big 10: A top 10 matchup of OSU/Nebraska in conference championship game would be huge as well.

Ohio State: Loss to Va Tech is still killing them. Win against Michigan St helps, if Nebraska is top 10 a win against them would be huge.

Nebraska: Only loss on the season is to Michigan St by 5 at MSU. Beating a top 10 OSU team would help their case.

The only thing that may help the B10 champion is the fact that the B12 champion didn't have to play in a championship game. Not to mention you have to think beating a top 5-10 team in the last game to remain a 1 loss team and champion is far more impressive than a team sitting at home watching the games. It honestly just depends on what the committee puts value in.

I like this breakdown. A few random thoughts to piggy-back on it:

- the B12 has a tendency to implode as the season progresses. I think it's because they don't bother playing defense so by the season's end any team B12 not named Kansas is capable of beating any other B12 team. Watch, Texas will smoke Baylor and some random team will beat TCU.

- I think either Oregon or Arizona State is going to the playoff. Certainly, I hope the Pac cannibalizes itself (see B12), but my fear is that both these teams remain strong by the time they meet in the championship game. The winner would be a virtual lock for the playoff, IMHO.

- after Oregon/Arizona State winner, that leaves just one spot, provided the SEC West champion gets in (by virtue of winning the SEC CG, I would think), no other SEC West teams are lurking around, and Florida State wins out. Thus, we really need the B12 to go all B12 and fuck themselves over.

Here's my final four (you read it here first, fellas):

1. Alabama (I think they beat Miss State and Auburn and Mizzou)

2. Arizona State (I think they beat Arizona and Oregon)

3. Ohio State (I think they beat everyone, including Nebraska)

4. TCU (I think they beat everyone else and Baylor loses another game)

i would primarily use barrett. i would use miller as a halfback who can throw the ball. imagine him taking a direct snap wildcat style, yet throwing the ball. or catching a screen pass and running with it, or even throwing it. i always thought he was a better running back, than passer. this way, he doesn't have to show the nfl recruiters that his shoulder would never hold up as a passer in the nfl (and it won't).

I just came.

Wow, so you have Florida St not making the playoff? Does that mean you see them losing during the regular season or maybe to a team like Duke in the CCG? Btw, the NCAA is investigating Winston once again, this time for points shaving against Louisville. How much does this play into the committees decision? Also, is it just me or is there absolutely no Heisman hype this season? Every year by this time you have 3-5 guys who you constantly hear in regards to winning that stupid award. This year, I haven't heard anyones name outside of Mariotta and the qb from Miss St.

Also, fun fact about OSU's loss to Va Tech: "Teams are 1-7 the week after facing Navy this year"- Urban Meyer