College Football Thread v6.0

bicranium

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am i the only one who thinks JTB wont be able to handle the pressure of a national championship game?

It's a valid concern given his being a freshman but he's a natural leader. He took the team into East Lansing at night and he had the offense doing pretty much whatever they wanted. He overcame his knee sprain in Happy Valley at night to lead the team to victory in overtime against what may be the best defense in the country. He's had some big moments this year on top of the already huge task of stepping into Braxton Miller's shoes just a couple weeks before the season started and all he's done is break records. I really don't worry about him handling pressure at this point.

I'm more confident with Barrett in a big game than I am with Miller...Hell, I can't think of another quarterback I'd rather have in the past 10 years for Ohio State that I'd rather put in a big game. Don't even say Troy Smith, because we all know how that turned out. The only QB I can say that I might rather have would be Pryor in a big game scenario.

I'm more confident with Barrett in a big game than I am with Miller...Hell, I can't think of another quarterback I'd rather have in the past 10 years for Ohio State that I'd rather put in a big game. Don't even say Troy Smith, because we all know how that turned out. The only QB I can say that I might rather have would be Pryor in a big game scenario.

Same here. It would be Smith if not for the fiasco in the desert. I always thought Pryor was pretty clutch. I was watching his Ohio State highlights last night on YouTube: I forgot just how awful of a passer he was and just how outrageously awesome as a runner he was.

thoroughly surprised that Herbstreit put OSU as #4 in his opinion as top teams in CFB. He is typically a hater.

Reading some articles there is a huge sigh of relief that Bama, an SEC team beat miss st. So that they could catapult them to #1.

I would take Joe Germaine, but that is outside the 10 year window.

I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I heart Joe Germaine, but I wouldn't call him clutch.

He only beat Michigan once, IIRC. I think he got his ass handed to him by Florida State in the 98 Sugar Bowl (which was played after the 1997 season). Then there's the 1998 Michigan State game - losing that game is pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.

Yes, the win over Arizona State in the Rose Bowl is one of my fondest memories of Ohio State. Perhaps second only to the NC game against Miami. However, beyond that, I can't remember him coming up big in a big game. There was the win against Texas AM in the bowl game (Sugar, I think?) after the 1998 season, but that doesn't come to mind as a "big" game. And, even if I conceded that it was, I still point to that Michigan State game in 1998.

Am I forgetting something? (Honest question.)

No way...look at their stats. Add in Barretts ability to run. Barrett > Germaine

Dude, speaking ONLY of ability to play well in big games. There is no question in my mind that Barrett will be, if not already is, a better QB than Germain.

Tilley, I hear you on those, but iirc Germaine didn't exactly play poorly in many of those games...in the MSU game in particular, our D couldn't figure out how to stop Plexiglass Burress.

Now that I think of it, and even considering as few physical tools as he had, maybe Krenzel is the best QB we've had in a while in clutch situations.

Muschamp said today in his press conference...

"Don't let the next guy come in here and tell you there aren't any players."

Hmm... that's exactly what you did when you went 7-6 your first year with Urban's players and then proceeded to go 11-2 your second year with still mostly Urban's players. I hope the next coach at Florida goes in there and says the last coach was a fucking potato.

Dude, speaking ONLY of ability to play well in big games. There is no question in my mind that Barrett will be, if not already is, a better QB than Germain.

Tilley, I hear you on those, but iirc Germaine didn't exactly play poorly in many of those games...in the MSU game in particular, our D couldn't figure out how to stop Plexiglass Burress.

Now that I think of it, and even considering as few physical tools as he had, maybe Krenzel is the best QB we've had in a while in clutch situations.

There was nothing the defense could have done in that game, the way I remember it. Rather, they just kept throwing the ball up in the air and Plaxico kept coming down with it. No real way of defending that sort of shit. That being conceded, the MSU game is still a black mark on Germaine's resume for me.

I hadn't thought of Krenzel, but, you know what, I think you might be on to something. He won all of his bowl games, IIRC (2002 NC, 2003 Fiesta where we beat Kansas State) and he was undefeated against Michigan (right?). The only big game I can remember him losing was the night game at Wisconsin in 2003 that ended our win streak (and that was a close game and I can't really fault us for losing it).

Krenzel was 24-3 as a starter. Lost to Wisky and scUM in 2003, both ranked teams. No losses in 2002, and since he only started a couple of games in 2001 (Bellisari was the regular starter at that point), I actually can't remember which one he started and lost in.

I remember not having cable at the time (poor 19 year old living on my own) and listening to the Wisky game on the radio. My gf at the time, who is now my wife got woken up by me yelling at the radio because they were losing.

Looking back at the 03 season, it's crazy to think that OSU played 6 ranked teams during the regular season. Now a days, we're lucky to play 1-2 haha.

#24 NC State

#23 Wisky

#9 Iowa

#14 Michigan State

#11 Purdue (WTF haha)

#5 Michigan

When did the Big10 become so shitty?!

Krenzel was 24-3 as a starter. Lost to Wisky and scUM in 2003, both ranked teams. No losses in 2002, and since he only started a couple of games in 2001 (Bellisari was the regular starter at that point), I actually can't remember which one he started and lost in.

Believe it was the Bowl Game vs. South Carolina in 02 (01 season)

Mullen started against Illinois, Krenzel finished and started the rest of the year.

Bellisari DUI burnouts! might have been the best thing to happen for Ohio State.

Outback Bowl. Bellisorry came in and threw for over 300 yards in a half

I remember not having cable at the time (poor 19 year old living on my own) and listening to the Wisky game on the radio. My gf at the time, who is now my wife got woken up by me yelling at the radio because they were losing.

Looking back at the 03 season, it's crazy to think that OSU played 6 ranked teams during the regular season. Now a days, we're lucky to play 1-2 haha.

#24 NC State

#23 Wisky

#9 Iowa

#14 Michigan State

#11 Purdue (WTF haha)

#5 Michigan

When did the Big10 become so shitty?!

When idiots like Kirk Ferentz thought it was a good idea to stop recruiting talent and the state of Florida. Outside of the garbage, like Iowa, the B1G is back on the rise

Outside of Ohio State and Michigan State, which current team is better than top 15? I would like to think that schools like Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan could come back. However, Wisconsin doesn't believe in forward passing (minus the Russell year), Penn State is suffering due to sanctions, Nebraska needs to fire Pelini and Michigan is a complete dumpster fire right now. No one else in the B10 has a pulse year in and year out.

Wisconsin has losses this year to 4 loss LSU and 6 loss Northwestern

Nebraska has losses to Wisconsin and Michigan State

Penn State is going to end up a likely 7 win team, beginning of the year I thought they had the chance to go 10-2

Michigan is horrible so I don't even have to comment further

Pelini was supposed to be great as a defensive coach, much like Muschamp. Maybe both of them should just be defensive coordinators. Michigan needs to hit a homerun with their head coaching hire. If you don't think Michigan being great again is good for the B10 and Ohio State than you are crazy. I love beating Michigan as much as the next guy, but it's even sweeter when they are actually good.

Outside of Ohio State and Michigan State, which current team is better than top 15? I would like to think that schools like Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan could come back. However, Wisconsin doesn't believe in forward passing (minus the Russell year), Penn State is suffering due to sanctions, Nebraska needs to fire Pelini and Michigan is a complete dumpster fire right now. No one else in the B10 has a pulse year in and year out.

Wisconsin has losses this year to 4 loss LSU and 6 loss Northwestern

Nebraska has losses to Wisconsin and Michigan State

Penn State is going to end up a likely 7 win team, beginning of the year I thought they had the chance to go 10-2

Michigan is horrible so I don't even have to comment further

Wisconsin would be a top 15 team if they were in the SEC. They have two quality losses, 1 against mighty LSU, who has 4 quality losses, and 1 against NW, who just beat a ND, who has 2 quality losses against FSU and ASU. Because the quality of losing matters in the SEC.