Alabama

Oregon

Miss state

Fl State

TCU

Ohio State

Baylor

UCLA

I think as long as FSU is undefeated the committee won't drop them lower than #3. They don't want to make the 1 vs 4 more intriguing that the final.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think as long as FSU is undefeated the committee won't drop them lower than #3. They don't want to make the 1 vs 4 more intriguing that the final.

Bama would stomp a mudhole in FSU. The only thing "intriguing" about that matchup would be "How many points will Saban drop on Jimbo?"

Bama would stomp a mudhole in FSU. The only thing "intriguing" about that matchup would be "How many points will Saban drop on Jimbo?"

I don't disagree on the stomping, but #1 vs. and undefeated/reigning champions #4. Kinda makes #2 vs. #3 not as exciting, and NC game not as exciting after that stomping.

Just makes me think of '07? when OSU#1 vs. UM#2, championship game didn't seem as exciting and OSU came out flat (besides Ginn's kick off return) and out coached.

The championship game took place in January of 2007.

It was for the 2006 season though. I refer to non-championship bowl games for the year in which they're played (ie. the 2013 Orange Bowl vs. Clemson, 2009 Fiesta Bowl vs. Texas) but title games I use the year for the season they're determining the champion of (ie. the 2002 National Championship game vs. Miami).

I don't disagree on the stomping, but #1 vs. and undefeated/reigning champions #4. Kinda makes #2 vs. #3 not as exciting, and NC game not as exciting after that stomping.

Just makes me think of '07? when OSU#1 vs. UM#2, championship game didn't seem as exciting and OSU came out flat (besides Ginn's kick off return) and out coached.

If the #2/#3 game was Oregon/OSU, that wouldn't be intriguing to you? Jesus, that might be a basketball game. Score wise, at least.

The committee has actually done a really good job of putting itself in a defensible position regardless of how the season plays out.

Take, for instance, the situation involving Ohio State, TCU, and Baylor for the #4 slot.

-If any of those three lose, they automatically take themselves out of consideration by virtue of their loss. So, time in on the committee's side. They can just allow attrition by loss to do their dirty work.

-Let's say none of them lose. The committee has a couple of contingencies at its disposal:

a) Ohio State looks really good and TCU/Baylor look not as good. Committee moves Ohio State over both of them. Committee can use Rationale 1: "Sorry TCU/Baylor, you don't play in a championship game. We value those. Tell your commissioner to get your shit straightened out and come talk to me when you're ready to play football into December."

b) All three look good. Committee can use Rationale 1 as above and still justify moving Ohio State up. Or, committee can use Rationale 2: "Sorry, Ohio State, but there was a reason we had you ranked behind TCU/Baylor for long stretches. Also, you can't really whine when you lost at home to an unranked, fairly terrible opponent."

If the #2/#3 game was Oregon/OSU, that wouldn't be intriguing to you? Jesus, that might be a basketball game. Score wise, at least.

to me yes, to the rest of the nation, maybe not.

Plus it would be hard to give OSU#3 and FSU#4 when OSU lost to an ACC team.

Also, history repeats itself?

In 1998, the first year of the BCS, Ohio State was widely regarded as one of the best teams. Many thought they deserved to be in the inaugural BCS championship game, but were left out. Their doom? Losing at home to a fairly awful team (Michigan State).

This year, the first year of the playoff, many are considering Ohio State to be playing as well as anyone in the country. However, will they be left out of playoff because of a home loss to a fairly awful team?

Note: Florida State was beat by an SEC team in first BCS championship game. This year Florida State could very well face an SEC team in playoff.

^seems like forever since Tennessee has been relevant

Right? When I was younger, it seemed like the East was always decided by the winner of Florida and Tennessee (and it always seemed like Florida got the better of them). I remember Spurrier trolling Tennessee by saying you couldn't spell "Citrus" (as in the Citrus Bowl") without "UT."

Reflections on this past Saturday:

- Jalin Marshall is the new hotness. Really like how he had such a dominant come-back performance. Josh said he could be something special, and I agree. He's the type of guy that can take a game over with his skill. I really hope we continue to make him a focal point of the offense going forward.

- Our defense is going to get us killed. Seriously, shit needs to be better. We almost lost to an Indiana team that might not beat Pickerington North.

- Barrett was a longshot for the Heisman going into yesterday, and now I think he's pretty much out of consideration. Those INT's pretty much kill his chances when compared to Mariotta (who has like 2 INT's for the entire year). Barrett needed to pad his stats yesterday, and didn't. If the QB competition was less tough this year - say, if Mariotta wasn't doing as well - then Barrett would still be a viable candidate. I think he gets an invite this year, but doesn't win it. Next year though...

- Note, Barrett could put himself back into the thick of the race if (a) he goes absolutely bonkers the last two games and (b) Mariotta implodes at some point in his next two games. Unlikely to happen, but still a possibility, IMO.

- Ole Miss should be tossed out of the rankings. Seriously, GTFO of here with that shit. Zach's spot on: these fucking charlatans from the SEC have had their 15 minutes of fame and can exit stage left.

- Of course, Arkansas will be ranked like #19 in next poll, LOL.

- Ole Miss getting throttled helps Ohio State. If Miss State beats them, everyone will be like, "Oh well." If they lose to them, well, GTFO. Either way, Ohio State's playoff chances are helped with Ole Miss' ineptitude.

- I am absolutely convinced Florida State will lose one of its last two games before the playoff starts. Of course, Florida State will continue to troll me and the rest of CFB and win both of those games by a combined 3 points.

- UCLA is going to beat Oregon in Pac12 championship game. Write that down.

- speaking of UCLA, I love it when they and USC play each other and both wear the home jerseys. Seriously, that is some of the best looking stuff on a field, period.

Agree but wanted to add one thing. Views expressed in my response do not reflect those initially broadcast by Tilley.

I'd be furious if I was FSU and running undefeated and hanging on to 3rd place by the skin on my teeth. The wins have been marginal, and ugly. But alas, still the only undefeated team. They should be without a doubt #1. But then the undefeated TCU's and Boise's of the future will have that claim also.

I think that alone shows the playoff committee's dysfunction.

Agree but wanted to add one thing. Views expressed in my response do not reflect those initially broadcast by Tilley.

I'd be furious if I was FSU and running undefeated and hanging on to 3rd place by the skin on my teeth. The wins have been marginal, and ugly. But alas, still the only undefeated team. They should be without a doubt #1. But then the undefeated TCU's and Boise's of the future will have that claim also.

I think that alone shows the playoff committee's dysfunction.

If I am mounting an argument for why FSU deserves to be #1, then I play up the fact that the defending national champions (which they are) and those highly ranked (which they are) always get everyone's best shot. For crappy ACC teams, playing FSU is their bowl game. So, you could make the rational argument that FSU winning ugly might be because they are having to fight off teams that are throwing everything they can muster against them.

93' Holiday Bowl against BYU. I looked to see if there was more and had to laugh, dude was 3-8 in bowl games.

Honestly, I've tried my best to repress those years. You know why Ohio State fans regard the Rose Bowl win over Arizona State so highly in our lore? Because it was one of the few fucking big games we ever won under Cooper. So much potential, so much disappointment. How we didn't win like 2+ national championships with Cooper I'll never know. Wait, yes I do: Michigan.

To his credit, at least Cooper smacked Notre Dame around twice. Of course, Notre Dame was on its way out around that point and pretty much everyone has smacked them around since.