Black Friday 2014???

Putty

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, my plan was to do the Amazon stick (ordered 1) on my bedroom TV for Hulu/Netflix and run Hulu/Netflix on my Xbox One downstairs in my living room. 2 TV's definitely makes it easier, but I am getting tired of paying $70 a month for DirectTV to watch ESPN, HGTV and Food Network. Otherwise, all the local channels are good to go.

Hulu+Netflix=~$20 per month compared to $80 I'm paying now with DTV and Netflix (don't currently have Hulu)

We cut the cable cord a few months ago and it's worked out great.

If I ever want to watch a live sporting event that isn't on ABC, NBC or Fox (as you can get all of those in HD with a simple antennae), I just go find a sports bar (which is a great excuse to go to a sports bar, BTW).

This may sound weird, but I actually like watching ESPN more now through the Roku than I did when I had cable. ESPN has an app you can access through Roku (and it's free), and they have a bunch of clips on there. I just go there to catch all the highlights of stuff I'm interested in (like CFB), and the nice thing about it is there are no commercials, it's just the clips, and there isn't 4087 hours of idiots like Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless arguing and blabbing and just wasting airwaves.

Cable is dying. They'll have to switch to an a la carte model eventually, I bet. The streaming services will be cable's death, as now people can essentially go a la carte for most things they want.

We cut the cable cord a few months ago and it's worked out great.

If I ever want to watch a live sporting event that isn't on ABC, NBC or Fox (as you can get all of those in HD with a simple antennae), I just go find a sports bar (which is a great excuse to go to a sports bar, BTW).

This may sound weird, but I actually like watching ESPN more now through the Roku than I did when I had cable. ESPN has an app you can access through Roku (and it's free), and they have a bunch of clips on there. I just go there to catch all the highlights of stuff I'm interested in (like CFB), and the nice thing about it is there are no commercials, it's just the clips, and there isn't 4087 hours of idiots like Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless arguing and blabbing and just wasting airwaves.

Cable is dying. They'll have to switch to an a la carte model eventually, I bet. The streaming services will be cable's death, as now people can essentially go a la carte for most things they want.

Just pulled the trigger on 2 Roku3's off of woot.com just a bit ago :cool: Time to cut the evil Comcast cord.

I have U-Verse!

Putty, so did I. I called them up, told them to cancel my cable and just keep my internet. That was no issue, and it reduced my bill from like $180/month (which was what I was paying for internet + cable) with them to like $25/month (for just the internet).

The Roku is this little device that hooks up to your TV. It runs on your Wi-Fi (or you can just plug it into your receiver with an Ethernet cable). The Roku allows you to connect to the internet and stream stuff through different apps, like Netflix and Hulu. It's super easy to hook-up. There are 3 versions of the Roku - Roku 1, 2, and 3. The 3 is the most expensive (I think it was like $150 or something?). IIRC, all the Roku's come with the same main apps, like Netflix, ESPN, Hulu, Amazon, etc. I think the main difference is the streaming quality, which is the best on the Roku 3.

You have heard about "smart" TVs? The Smart TVs are just TVs that have something like Roku built into them. In my opinion, they are unnecessary. I'd rather save my money and pass on a "smart" TV and just get a Roku (or a similar streaming device) instead. The Roku is your gateway to getting streaming services on the Internet. Hell, I go to YouTube through my Roku all the time - it's pretty awesome.

So, after I ditched cable, I got Netflix (for like $10/month) and Hulu (for like $8/month). Now, my total bill is ~$50/month and I still watch all the same stuff that I watched before I got rid of U-Verse (because essentially I never watched 99% of shit on cable anyway).

Just wanted to toss in hitting up http://www.antennaweb.org/ and using it to guide you with buying a HD antenna and pointing it. Really helps ease cutting the cord when the local stations look better than they did over cable.

First thing i'll be getting once roku3's come to my house this week.

BTW, did you guys upgrade your wireless routers or were they able to run streaming pretty well.

I didn't have to upgrade and mine has streamed fine, no issues whatsoever. This includes streaming on the Roku while at the same time two kids are streaming vids on their iPads and the wife is on her phone also using bandwidth. So, multiple devices and still no problems.

BTW, did you guys upgrade your wireless routers or were they able to run streaming pretty well.

If you have any decent quality stuff you are streaming I would upgrade to an N router.

I just did a $20 TPLink router and the speed of my Plex streaming increased along with the quality of the media through my ChromeCast.

We'll see how the Fire Stick works with it. (not scheduled till next month. blah) Only bought it so I can have a remote. The plex app works fine on my Android but sometimes you just want a remote.

On a side note.

If any of you guys aren't set on LED 60's, Samsung has a 60" Plasma for $699 (starting next week)

Probably a better quality tv than the cheap LED's. imo.

Putty, so did I. I called them up, told them to cancel my cable and just keep my internet. That was no issue, and it reduced my bill from like $180/month (which was what I was paying for internet + cable) with them to like $25/month (for just the internet).

The Roku is this little device that hooks up to your TV. It runs on your Wi-Fi (or you can just plug it into your receiver with an Ethernet cable). The Roku allows you to connect to the internet and stream stuff through different apps, like Netflix and Hulu. It's super easy to hook-up. There are 3 versions of the Roku - Roku 1, 2, and 3. The 3 is the most expensive (I think it was like $150 or something?). IIRC, all the Roku's come with the same main apps, like Netflix, ESPN, Hulu, Amazon, etc. I think the main difference is the streaming quality, which is the best on the Roku 3.

You have heard about "smart" TVs? The Smart TVs are just TVs that have something like Roku built into them. In my opinion, they are unnecessary. I'd rather save my money and pass on a "smart" TV and just get a Roku (or a similar streaming device) instead. The Roku is your gateway to getting streaming services on the Internet. Hell, I go to YouTube through my Roku all the time - it's pretty awesome.

So, after I ditched cable, I got Netflix (for like $10/month) and Hulu (for like $8/month). Now, my total bill is ~$50/month and I still watch all the same stuff that I watched before I got rid of U-Verse (because essentially I never watched 99% of shit on cable anyway).

Excellent info. I may pull trigger on something like this. These high ass cable bills piss me off. Thanks!!

Only problem I have is when i built my house I have cables exiting wall in one area where my receiver and stuff is. Then my TV sits above the fireplace and plays NO sound. I'd have to figure a way to get sound back through my speakers not using a cable box.

Excellent info. I may pull trigger on something like this. These high ass cable bills piss me off. Thanks!!

Only problem I have is when i built my house I have cables exiting wall in one area where my receiver and stuff is. Then my TV sits above the fireplace and plays NO sound. I'd have to figure a way to get sound back through my speakers not using a cable box.

Probably need to upgrade to a receiver that offers HDMI switching.

Roku HDMI > Receiver HDMI In > Receiver HDMI Out >TV

Probably need to upgrade to a receiver that offers HDMI switching.

Roku HDMI > Receiver HDMI In > Receiver HDMI Out >TV

I'll look into those. HDMI switching...got it.

i have 2 fire sticks on the way as well

Two coming here as well.

If you have any decent quality stuff you are streaming I would upgrade to an N router.

I just did a $20 TPLink router and the speed of my Plex streaming increased along with the quality of the media through my ChromeCast.

We'll see how the Fire Stick works with it. (not scheduled till next month. blah) Only bought it so I can have a remote. The plex app works fine on my Android but sometimes you just want a remote.

On a side note.

If any of you guys aren't set on LED 60's, Samsung has a 60" Plasma for $699 (starting next week)

Probably a better quality tv than the cheap LED's. imo.

Damn, my fire stick wont be here till dec 17th.

Also, those looking at led vs plasma; whats your glare/light situation. Plasmas are great but have a glass screen and can show glares really bad.