Uber Drivers Columbus

Supplicium

So I have been driving for Uber in my spare time for a couple months now. They started a referral program so I thought I would share my code in case anyone is looking for extra income.

After you sign up all you have to do is get a peer-2-peer transportation license with the city of Columbus, background check and a car maintenance check up / report ~ 80-100$ total.

Without driving too much during "surge pricing" i'm pulling in $1000 every 33-35 hours online. I have some friends making double that, basically its all about how hard you want to hustle.

It is pretty fun, makes for some interesting stories and decent side cash for the best flexibility possible when it comes to a job.

any questions let me know.

Edited by MrMeanGreen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is completely not worth it......

Yea so after gas, taxes, vehicle depreciation from mileage, and wear/tear what is he ACTUALLY making? Half that?

Plus if you get into an accident ....

Do you guys not realize a lot of people do it just for something to do? I know of 2 retired people that do it just for something to do that isn't sitting around the house. If they walk away from it breaking even or earning something they see it as worth it. Not to mention the experiences.

TL;DR

-Walking away $200 richer for driving around some drunks to some people is worth it. If you need money you'll do most anything.

Do you guys not realize a lot of people do it just for something to do? I know of 2 retired people that do it just for something to do that isn't sitting around the house. If they walk away from it breaking even or earning something they see it as worth it. Not to mention the experiences.

TL;DR

-Walking away $200 richer for driving around some drunks to some people is worth it. If you need money you'll do most anything.

nobody is saying do/don't be an uber driver. what people don't realize is that when you have drivers saying they make X, that doesn't factor in a ton of costs that aren't really visible up front.

Walking away $200 richer

again, are these numbers thrown out there what was made AFTER overhead costs are factored in?

I am honestly just asking. I know people are making money. I am interested in what the costs are involved.

nobody is saying do/don't be an uber driver. what people don't realize is that when you have drivers saying they make X, that doesn't factor in a ton of costs that aren't really visible up front.

again, are these numbers thrown out there what was made AFTER overhead costs are factored in?

I am honestly just asking. I know people are making money. I am interested in what the costs are involved.

That was a made up number after everything is paid and accounted for based on $400 in earnings.

Yeah my dad does it to have a little extra money. He has fucked up ankles so he doesn't walk very well plus he's got to be 70. He says he only hangs out in one area and waits for fares. I told him he would make a killing if he would go uptown on the weekends but he said nobody's puking in his car.

Fuck it! He's not getting rich off of it but then again nothing he has ever done got him rich.

I was looking at doing it. What are the requirements for p2p license?

http://uberohio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/CBUS_P2P_License_Guide.pdf

http://uberohio.com/cities/columbus/p2p/

Do they help with explaining the taxes that will be associated with this income? Otherwise I fear their will be a lot of butt hurt people when they realize they owe a few g's in taxes at the end of the year.

No they do not explain anything about them, I am following this guide I found online:

"You will need to file for taxes (1040SE) regardless of your Uber salary. This will go under self employment income, subject to self employment taxes (social security and medicare)

You will get a 1099-K if you received over $20k in Uber fares (your Uber salary) and given over 200 rides.

A 1099 would make your life easier as you just use this form to fill out your taxes. If you do not receive one, you will need to calculate your Uber salary. Use your Uber salary to fill out 1040SE.

Tax Deductions

Generally, it is easiest to deduct these items:

Mileage on your car . (This is in place of actual car expeditures, such as car maintenance, repairs, and gas)

Mobile Phone fees (note: it is recommended you get another mobile phone with data just for Lyft, Uber and Sidecar so you can deduct the entire phone bill, or you will need to itemize how much for personal use or business purposes)

Cost of things you give to your passengers (for example: water, gum, coffee, cookies (or supplies to make them))"

:lolguy: If you are giving rides across town with free coffee and cookies, I'm sold.

Ive used everything but the coffee, although Uber will be delivering Starbucks soon.

Spotify users will be able to link to my stereo and play their personal playlist when you get in. They just signed a deal and integrated spotify into the Uber app.

I also offer up my iPad with access to my ATT Uverse / SiriusXM for longer trips.

http://uberohio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/CBUS_P2P_License_Guide.pdf

http://uberohio.com/cities/columbus/p2p/

No they do not explain anything about them, I am following this guide I found online:

"You will need to file for taxes (1040SE) regardless of your Uber salary. This will go under self employment income, subject to self employment taxes (social security and medicare)

You will get a 1099-K if you received over $20k in Uber fares (your Uber salary) and given over 200 rides.

A 1099 would make your life easier as you just use this form to fill out your taxes. If you do not receive one, you will need to calculate your Uber salary. Use your Uber salary to fill out 1040SE.

Tax Deductions

Generally, it is easiest to deduct these items:

Mileage on your car . (This is in place of actual car expeditures, such as car maintenance, repairs, and gas)

Mobile Phone fees (note: it is recommended you get another mobile phone with data just for Lyft, Uber and Sidecar so you can deduct the entire phone bill, or you will need to itemize how much for personal use or business purposes)

Cost of things you give to your passengers (for example: water, gum, coffee, cookies (or supplies to make them))"

Anything that will outright prevent you from getting a p2p? Like a speeding ticket, lets say 51 in a 20 for example?

Anything that will outright prevent you from getting a p2p? Like a speeding ticket, lets say 51 in a 20 for example?

nope you will be fine. Aslong as you dont have a ton of driving violations or drug/assault felonies. I got a 65 in 35 ticket about 6 months before I signed up.

Just used Uber last night to pick up my car from the mechanic.

Talked to the driver a little bit. He is a semi-retired guy. He does Lyft and Uber using two different cell phones. Does it about 30-35 hours a week and clears $500 probably before expenses. He preferred to work during the day and if he did nights, he would stop at midnight as to not deal with really drunk drunks.

Yesterday, for example, he said he was non-stop from 8am-8pm. He said it was probably the cold weather that helped him get riders.

Just used Uber last night to pick up my car from the mechanic.

Talked to the driver a little bit. He is a semi-retired guy. He does Lyft and Uber using two different cell phones. Does it about 30-35 hours a week and clears $500 probably before expenses. He preferred to work during the day and if he did nights, he would stop at midnight as to not deal with really drunk drunks.

Yesterday, for example, he said he was non-stop from 8am-8pm. He said it was probably the cold weather that helped him get riders.

$500 before any expenses, that's working for free. If you're retired and have to resort to working basically for free in order to do something, well you're doing things wrong.

$500 before any expenses, that's working for free. If you're retired and have to resort to working basically for free in order to do something, well you're doing things wrong.

He called it his fun money, I'm assuming he isn't hurting for cash. It would be a fun retirement or part time job.