Uber Drivers Columbus

Supplicium

$500 before any expenses, that's working for free. If you're retired and have to resort to working basically for free in order to do something, well you're doing things wrong.

Fuck that's LOSING money if compared to even a minimum wage job.

I can believe Ben moved to San fran to do this :confused:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just used Uber last night to pick up my car from the mechanic.

Talked to the driver a little bit. He is a semi-retired guy. He does Lyft and Uber using two different cell phones. Does it about 30-35 hours a week and clears $500 probably before expenses. He preferred to work during the day and if he did nights, he would stop at midnight as to not deal with really drunk drunks.

Yesterday, for example, he said he was non-stop from 8am-8pm. He said it was probably the cold weather that helped him get riders.

On our anniversary we had a similar story. The driver did it for extra money and said he's much happier with uber than when he drove for yellowcabs. He seems to be making some fair money too.

Fuck that's LOSING money if compared to even a minimum wage job.

I can believe Ben moved to San fran to do this :confused:

Moving to become a Lyft/Uber driver would be an all time low for someone, rather hear my kid say he was moving to Cali to become a musician

hmmmm i imagine you cant really do it with a coupe lol. wouldnt be too bad to do when i have nothing else going on.

You not only have to have 4door but it has to be no older than 10 years old. Doesn't matter if you have a 2002 S500 Benzo that's in mint condition.

My dad had to get rid of his 2002 Acura TL that had 56k on it and fucking clean and ended up with a 2012 pos Accord so he could work for Uber. So he went from a car that was paid for to a car note. He must be losing his fucking mind in his old age.

• 3 weeks later...

Promocode: andrewd352

good for free ride up to 30$

Thanks for the free ride man!! Got the Uber XL for 6 people and took it from fountain square in Indy to Lucas Oil stadium Saturday. Worked great and the driver was super nice. Forgot about the tip being cash only and we didn't have any cash on us. Felt bad about that :(

Thanks for the free ride man!! Got the Uber XL for 6 people and took it from fountain square in Indy to Lucas Oil stadium Saturday. Worked great and the driver was super nice. Forgot about the tip being cash only and we didn't have any cash on us. Felt bad about that :(

You arent supposed to tip them. Its "included" in the price.

You are one cheap son of a bitch....

There are plently of things your typically not supposed to tip, but if someone made the experience for you why not?

Why advertise that the tip is included if that's not really the case? They signed up with the assumption that the tips were included. Why should they expect more?

Why not tip someone if they did a good job. In sure the company "tips" them close to nothing especially on cheap fares. ( can u imagine the tip on a 20$ fare? Few cents to them in sure)

Also tips are taxed too im sure.

Also im sure they dont expect it but hey why not if they were pleasant.

Its ok jeffro

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea if the promo codes will work tomorrow during surge pricing? Sounds like its going to get crazy expensive.

I already used mine, but might have the misses sign up so we can take advantage of it.

For reference: http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/29/technology/uber-new-years-eve-2015/

Last year, Twitter user @Uber_Surge retweeted receipts from riders impacted by the surge. Prices ranged from a 4.85 mile ride in Pennsylvania that cost $265 to a 59.13 mile ride in Texas that totaled $731.75.

Any idea if the promo codes will work tomorrow during surge pricing? Sounds like its going to get crazy expensive.

I already used mine, but might have the misses sign up so we can take advantage of it.

For reference: http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/29/technology/uber-new-years-eve-2015/

Yes, the promo code is

STOP BEING A YUPPIE AND TAXI A DAMN TAXI

• 8 months later...

Bringing this back from the dead...

Uber looking for 10,000 more drivers in Columbus. I'm sure that will affect payout...

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/09/23/uber-doubling-up-in-ohio-with-push-for-10-000-more.html

Edited by zeitgeist57
I'll "admin" you all up in yer face!!!

Bringing this back from the dead...

Uber looking for 10,000 more drivers in Columbus. I'm sure that will affect payout...

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...3&t=1443033805

here is a working link, "admin"

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/09/23/uber-doubling-up-in-ohio-with-push-for-10-000-more.html

So I had this thought the other day.....

I know there have been some interesting uber rides recently like people giving rides in exotic sports cars and such - is there anyway someone can use uber to do classic car rides or wedding hires?

I heard recently about two different weddings where the parties used uber to get their wedding party to and from the event and that got me thinking....say you had something like an old rolls or jaguar, could you use uber as a way of getting bookings for people's events like weddings, etc?

I know Uber was supposed to be doing something like Luxe for specialty cars which is how you get around the year and door restrictions but never heard if they rolled it out or not.

just thinking out loud here - now que the endless stream of CR wonks who are going to tell me it's a bad idea even though they have never tried it.

So I had this thought the other day.....

I know there have been some interesting uber rides recently like people giving rides in exotic sports cars and such - is there anyway someone can use uber to do classic car rides or wedding hires?

I heard recently about two different weddings where the parties used uber to get their wedding party to and from the event and that got me thinking....say you had something like an old rolls or jaguar, could you use uber as a way of getting bookings for people's events like weddings, etc?

I know Uber was supposed to be doing something like Luxe for specialty cars which is how you get around the year and door restrictions but never heard if they rolled it out or not.

just thinking out loud here - now que the endless stream of CR wonks who are going to tell me it's a bad idea even though they have never tried it.

If the car is Uber approved, you can setup deals outside of the Uber system, schedule a pickup then use the uber system when you pick them up to cover insurance and billing. I do this for friends or people I have met through Uber for Airport service. I drop my little brother off every Monday at 5am at the airport who lives with me, he loads up Uber that way IBM is paying me but Uber gets 20%.

Edited by MrMeanGreen

If the car is Uber approved,

How do you find out if a car can be uber approved? In NY it's easy - they all have to be "livery" cars so 2011 or newer if getting new tags or 2009 and newer if operating on existing livery tags. P2P in ohio doesn't seem to have any vehicle requirements other than a 3rd party safery inspection and I couldn't find anything about UBER's requirements on their site. Do you have a link? Can you talk about what the approval process was like?

you can setup deals outside of the Uber system, schedule a pickup then use the uber system when you pick them up to cover insurance and billing. I do this for friends or people I have met through Uber for Airport service. I drop my little brother off every Monday at 5am at the airport who lives with me, he loads up Uber that way IBM is paying me but Uber gets 20%.

See that is the rub because I was thinking about using UBER as a lead generator for the ride, not just the payment and processing. If it was setting up before hand I could just get the P2P license and not have to pay uber any money at all but then it becomes a full time job lead generating.

Thanks for the info though.

How do you find out if a car can be uber approved? In NY it's easy - they all have to be "livery" cars so 2011 or newer if getting new tags or 2009 and newer if operating on existing livery tags. P2P in ohio doesn't seem to have any vehicle requirements other than a 3rd party safery inspection and I couldn't find anything about UBER's requirements on their site. Do you have a link? Can you talk about what the approval process was like?

See that is the rub because I was thinking about using UBER as a lead generator for the ride, not just the payment and processing. If it was setting up before hand I could just get the P2P license and not have to pay uber any money at all but then it becomes a full time job lead generating.

Thanks for the info though.

http://drive.uber.com/oh/vehicles/ -- oHIO specific

Basically if your car fits the list, you go to a authorized uber mechanic (i think i went to an NTB, list of places is on website) They do a simple glance over and sign a paper. You fillout your personal info with Uber they run a backround check, once you are cleared you come turn in your paper the mechanic signed. They give you a log in, download the app and you are off to the races.

Your idea should work you can create your own company and use the p2p license or you can start a company with a fleet of cars and hire drivers that all use uber and funnel money to yourself and then you can pay the drivers what you arrange.

I find people needing rides on craiglist or ill hand out biz cards to uber customers and they will hit me up on the side.

If you w2 or 1099 (whatever they give you) more than 10k for being an UBER driver all year, I'll paypal you $100.

Still seems like a waste of time/effort/money to me.

its not for everyone... 10k would be so easy to clear in a year not sure why hate on it. it obviously works

its not for everyone... 10k would be so easy to clear in a year not sure why hate on it. it obviously works

Your right. Its was an easy, early retirement for the creator.

It works for the consumer.

It seems to be as lucrative as flipping burgers for the drivers.

Honestly, if you enjoy it more power too you. But, you say 10k "would be easy" to clear in a year, which suggests you have not seen that kind of income from it. I just don't understand why anyone would compromise their time, or the wear and tear on their car for less than that? Even on a part time basis.