Uber Drivers Columbus

Supplicium

Your right. Its was an easy, early retirement for the creator.

It works for the consumer.

It seems to be as lucrative as flipping burgers for the drivers.

Honestly, if you enjoy it more power too you. But, you say 10k "would be easy" to clear in a year, which suggests you have not seen that kind of income from it. I just don't understand why anyone would compromise their time, or the wear and tear on their car for less than that? Even on a part time basis.

Everyone's situation is different. I work 50 hours M-F that pays me enough to retire early but thats not good enough for me. So I do Uber and other stuff on the side to add to my investments or for extra spending money.

Here was my Saturday morning, I woke up went to SBUX for coffee, I flipped on Uber and I said if I get a ride by time I get my coffee I will work for an hour. The results:

http://i60.tinypic.com/25hlfrc.jpg

Pretty sure no burger flipper pulled in close to 55 in an hour or lets call it 30 for gas,tax and wear also with the option to start and stop at anypoint

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to start this week, I just had my vehicle inspected now I have to stop down and turn all of my paperwork into Columbus for my peer to peer license. I am surprised more car folks do not do this in colder months since there really isn't much going on. I work full time 50 hours a week and am planning on working Thursday and Saturday nights.

I've recently lost a lot of respect/trust for uber. They say on their website they go back on your driving record 7 years, but what they don't mention is they hire people with less than a year of driving experiance, period. Case in point I was recently picked up by a guy fresh off the boat from Somalia ( he'd been in this country for less than a year). He was unfamiliar with the City and was speeding through several major construction areas ( at one point I had to tell him to slow down because the area was heavily policed).

Pretty shitty that Immigrants with less than a year experience driving can get hired over me due to the fact I have a more extensive driving record.

I've recently lost a lot of respect/trust for uber. They say on their website they go back on your driving record 7 years, but what they don't mention is they hire people with less than a year of driving experiance, period. Case in point I was recently picked up by a guy fresh off the boat from Somalia ( he'd been in this country for less than a year). He was unfamiliar with the City and was speeding through several major construction areas ( at one point I had to tell him to slow down because the area was heavily policed).

Pretty shitty that Immigrants with less than a year experience driving can get hired over me due to the fact I have a more extensive driving record.

Racist.

In all seriousness, I totally agree with this statement. My last Uber driver was also straight off the boat, barely spoke English and had NO knowledge of the city. I took a ride to the bar and home...no upcharges or anything, and my return fare was double my trip there with this fine young driver as he jumped on and off the freeway. While I was trying to give him directions, he only stated he followed his GPS and that was all he would do.

I was beyond annoyed and have yet to receive a response from Uber.

I'll use them again because they are far more convenient and typically less expensive than a cab but I will be paying more attention to who I ride with.

-Marc

I am looking forward to start this week, I just had my vehicle inspected now I have to stop down and turn all of my paperwork into Columbus for my peer to peer license. I am surprised more car folks do not do this in colder months since there really isn't much going on. I work full time 50 hours a week and am planning on working Thursday and Saturday nights.

Good luck.

IMO, taking online classes to further your education in pursuit of a better paying career may be a better long-term option with this time commitment. but, thats just me.

My second to last ride cost me $107 for a "2 mile" trip. It was longer than 2 miles. The driver forgot to stop the ride and went home for the night. It said I was in the car for 7 hours. Took about week before the claim was settled. My only bad experience so far, but now I know to remind the driver to end the ride.

Ive had good experiences for the most part. Only bad is drivers not wanting to do a short fare and cancelling after accepting. I guess id debate doing the same as well but some money is better than none. I usually spring for an uber select when availible as the cost difference is negligible for the length of trips i usually take and the drivers are usually nicer.

Racist.

In all seriousness, I totally agree with this statement. My last Uber driver was also straight off the boat, barely spoke English and had NO knowledge of the city. I took a ride to the bar and home...no upcharges or anything, and my return fare was double my trip there with this fine young driver as he jumped on and off the freeway. While I was trying to give him directions, he only stated he followed his GPS and that was all he would do.

I was beyond annoyed and have yet to receive a response from Uber.

I'll use them again because they are far more convenient and typically less expensive than a cab but I will be paying more attention to who I ride with.

-Marc

My Somali driver tried to get off at 23 to take me up to Polaris :dumb:. I gave him a polite, but emphatic "NO!" and directed him twoards 71.

Man... I really had good experiences the two or three times i have used it in the past. Now, im a little concerned to try it again.

3/4 of my Uber experiances have been A+, however, and I'm really not trying to be racist here, most every time ive hitched a ride with an African immigrant has been semi problimatic. Mainly due to language barriers and them not knowing where in the hell to go in the city. That said they are almost always nice and try their best to be courteous.

I've never used uber but if you request a ride and they show up to get you and your not happy with the person/car/whatever, can you just say I'll pass and not be charged or no?

AFAIK they charge you a nominal fee for canceling, $3.00 or something.

Cant say much for driving but I've been a customer for a few weeks now. Live in grandview and an uber to arena district is 7$ , can't say much for the morality of the company but rideshares in general have to be one of the best inventions of the past decade.

However i always watch for surge pricing, last saturday night it was 3.7 times the rate, fuck that shit. I have read some horror stories of drunks being way over charged, drivers think they can get away with it and the refund process taking forever etc... Thankfully I have always had a positive experience.

As for the tip, when I signed up it asked how much i would want to tip on each trip, i chose 20% which is a solid tip, I never saw any reason to give more than that.

Uber needs to restrict the drivers to just normal people that speak English and know the city they are driving in.

It's now become just another taxi service. Most smell, can't speak English and the cars are filthy.

Agree. I've not had too much of a problem but am very vocal on reviews and feedback when it's not good. We don't need the same shit we're getting rid of just with a different name.

Take me places