Best way? Sending money to avoid scams?

Diamonds

So, I agreed to purchase a firearms from somebody who listed a gun on gunbroker. I gave him an offer way below his asking price and he took it (personally, it was listed too high).

I asked him to FB friend me, and then write my name on a piece of paper and take a picture of it next to the gun and he did exactly that. Sounds good right?

I still am worried (maybe for nothing) as the deal just seems too spectacular for this firearm. Though, I am convinced that he is who he is and that he does own the gun!

He doesn't want to do paypal because it's against their rules.

What is the best way to pay him and still have assurance that I could fight it if he were to not send me the gun?

I'm thinking Credit card via western union?

Thoughts?

You can avoid any possibility of a scam by sending him the money for shipping, and having your FFL hold the money. The FFL then either sends the money or the gun back to the guy upon your inspection. That's how it has worked for years. Never buy from someone who refuses to do that.

Were you searching the KS guns listing or did this ad make its way to the Ohio listings?

I know youre not talking about craigslist, but the same methodology applies:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

More specifically:

Recognizing scams

Most scams attempts involve one or more of the following:

Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.

Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item." Poor grammar/spelling.

Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, paypal, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."

Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction.

Examples of Scams

1. Someone claims your transaction is guaranteed, that a buyer/seller is officially certified, OR that a third party of any kind will handle or provide protection for a payment:

These claims are fraudulent, as transaction are between users only.

The scammer will often send an official looking (but fake) email that appears to come from craigslist or another third party, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, or pretending to handle payments.

2. Distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check:

You receive an email or text (examples below) offering to buy your item, pay for your services in advance, or rent your apartment, sight unseen and without meeting you in person.

A cashier's check is offered for your sale item as a deposit for an apartment or for your services.

Value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item—scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service.

Banks will cash fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, sometimes including criminal prosecution.

Scams often pretend to involve a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate, etc.).

3. Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:

Deal often seems too good to be true, price is too low, or rent is below market, etc.

Scam "bait" items include apartments, laptops, TVs, cell phones, tickets, other high value items.

Scammer may (falsely) claim a confirmation code from you is needed before he can withdraw your money.

Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, UK, Netherlands—but could be anywhere.

Rental may be local, but owner is "travelling" or "relocating" and needs you to wire money abroad.

Scammer may pretend to be unable to speak by phone (scammers prefer to operate by text/email).

4. Distant person offers to send you a cashier's check or money order and then have you wire money:

This is ALWAYS a scam in our experience—the cashier's check is FAKE.

Sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not.

Scammer often asks for your name, address, etc. for printing on the fake check.

Deal often seems too good to be true.

5. Distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service:

Most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT and operated by scammers.

For more info, do a google search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud."

6. Distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which they will ship goods:

He says he trusts you with the partial payment.

He may say he has already shipped the goods.

Deal often sounds too good to be true.

7. Foreign company offers you a job receiving payments from customers, then wiring funds:

Foreign company may claim it is unable to receive payments from its customers directly.

You are typically offered a percentage of payments received.

This kind of "position" may be posted as a job, or offered to you via email.

Were you searching the KS guns listing or did this ad make its way to the Ohio listings?

I know youre not talking about craigslist, but the same methodology applies:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

I was searching guns based on caliber on Gunbroker. His ad came up. I saw no one had bid and made him a fair (but on the lower end) offer. He haggled a little bit and then we met in the middle.

I just feel like "the kill" was too easy.

That being said, he did comply with everything I asked him (FB friending and sending a pic of my name next to the gun on a sheet of paper) and he does have 38 feedback on gunbroker. I am 98% sure that I am not being scammed. I am just wondering the best way to assure I can recoup my money if it turned out to be a scam.

You can avoid any possibility of a scam by sending him the money for shipping, and having your FFL hold the money. The FFL then either sends the money or the gun back to the guy upon your inspection. That's how it has worked for years. Never buy from someone who refuses to do that.

Why do I get the feeling that you are ignoring the proper way to do this because you are planning on comitting a felony and not using an FFL?

^^^ are you talking to me? Do you think if go around an FFL? Really? Not a chance. I'm simply talking about payment.

And then the way to do this is...

You send the seller the shipping cost

You give YOUR FFL the payment.

The seller sends the firearm to your FFL.

You inspect the weapon.

Your FFL either releases payment to the seller or sends the firearm back if you reject it

This is STANDARD procedure and is the only way you should ever buy a firearm through correspondence.

You inspect the weapon.

Your FFL either releases payment to the seller or sends the firearm back if you reject it

This is STANDARD procedure and is the only way you should ever buy a firearm through correspondence.

This ^

There really is no "safe" way to transfer funds online. The seller is probably paranoid of using PayPal because the ability for buyers to scam is too easy and most other options leave you little to no protection as a buyer. USPS money orders are pretty decent at protection as a buyer but I'm not sure how well that would play out if used for purchasing a firearm.

You inspect the weapon.

Is there any service like this for other transactions-say car parts?

Is there any service like this for other transactions-say car parts?

There are plenty of online escrow services. Firearms have to go through an FFL so its easier to get the seller to agree to it

Firearms have to go through an FFL

You sure about that? A coworker recently Fed-Ex'd his .40 to S&W for a warranty repair, and they Fed-Ex'd it back. Fed-Ex was at S&W's request, and all he had to do was make sure it was unloaded and notify the person at the Fed-Ex counter that he was shipping a firearm.

You sure about that? A coworker recently Fed-Ex'd his .40 to S&W for a warranty repair, and they Fed-Ex'd it back. Fed-Ex was at S&W's request, and all he had to do was make sure it was unloaded and notify the person at the Fed-Ex counter that he was shipping a firearm.

you can only do this way if its going to the manufacturer.

Correct, I did the same with a gun I had that needed repair.

LJ, I am still baffled that you would think I was hinting at circumventing an FFL...

Its because your receiving FFL should have offered to escrow the funds off the bat. Thats just part of the job as an ffl that does outside purchases