Columbus Police Helicopters- help?

mrs.cos

As a helicopter pilot, I second there is probably some chicks tanning outside and they are enjoying the show!

I also doubt that their helicopters do not have enough power to hover... They are probably 206's and Columbus is not that high of elevation.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a 365hp turbine that powers the "thrust" - propelling them forward. They also have the rotor which is used for lift. It doesn't have enough power to keep them lifted in a hover - they will slowly drop. The thrust is needed to provide the downforce for the lift. It's not like they drop like a sack of potatoes.... Maybe like a foot a second in hover mode.

I'm sure there's more physics/engineering involved.

Also, on a full tank there is about a maximum weight capacity of three people. They had to burn off fuel before me and the GF went for a flight. Buzzed around the 'shoe and Quaker steak on bike night. I might be able to find/post some pics.

It's more fun in the spring, when crime happens. Chasing cars/bikes etc.

One instance - there was a home invasion on the west side, and a neighbor went to go fight a suspect. We were over head as they were wrestling in the back yard, and couldn't hear the officers approach and stun the shit out of them. Funny to watch a guy spasm and collapse