HVAC Professional? Come on in! (needs some help, please)

bmwohio

Just moved into a newly built house in August. Furnace is a Bryant 925TA.

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/7E924E76-0A11-463F-90EE-41DBA5541AD7_zpspxdfdrz5.jpg

Went to change the filter today and found this:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/FF6F7565-7AC9-4510-9E68-C3B015E80375_zpso77w694v.jpg

However, there was a replacement filter that came with the unit that has been sitting next to it that I just put in that looks like this (it actually fits the space):

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/DB266E46-B351-455F-8DA0-2CCADF145A95_zpspw6l3bil.jpg

So here's my question.......

I am guessing that the smaller filter will cost less, but is it enough for the unit, or was that just a 'temp' filter until I start using the larger ones.

I am looking for the best filter system as I have pretty sensitive allergies, a dog, a 3 year old and will have a new born in the house in April so the house needs to be as free and clear of dust and crap as possible.

Will both filters do the same thing, or is the bigger filter actually better?

TIA for any help/advice on the matter......

My guess is that someone just didn't want to spend the $$$ on the 5", the 1" isn't necessarily "temporary", just a cheapo. You can go out and buy that same size in a better filter if you choose.

The 5" filter has much deeper pleats of course, therefore much more filter surface area and will last much longer. The filter media is probably similar, but again varies based on how much you want to spend.

Ours uses a similar large filter.

Dig around online, I found a decent prince on them but the shipping was fairly high. I solved that by just buying 6 at once which didn't increase the shipping much.

I check it every season, usually only need to change it after about a year.

OK, so I'm fine spending the coin on the larger filter if that is what is needed. Just wasn't sure if the smaller one was rigged up like that because it's an acceptable alternative.

Are any of you speaking from experience (as in, it's your trade) in the field or just guessing?

I am looking for the best filter system as I have pretty sensitive allergies, a dog, a 3 year old and will have a new born in the house in April so the house needs to be as free and clear of dust and crap as possible.

Will both filters do the same thing, or is the bigger filter actually better?

TIA for any help/advice on the matter......

I'm not an HVAC pro but it seems to me if this was a car air filter which one would you want to provide maximum protection for the engine.

You can darn near see through the single layer filters so they can get enough airflow. The filtration media on the bigger filters is much finer since they have a much larger surface area because of the folds to achieve the same flow rates with.

It's called a media filter and is far superior to a 1" filter, however needs changed less but costs significantly more. I suggest you buy a couple somewhere online as these are probably $35+ at a place like lowes but could likely be found for half or less Online.

The 1" is not something that is jerry-rigged if that's one of your questions. Often Newer/nicer furnaces will have slots, one for the 1" one for the 4 or 5". Obviously as others have mentioned the 5" is superior, it provides more surface area and is less restrictive to the air flow to the blower. I also have bad allergies and what not and buy a decent 5". You will want to buy online and buying a box or 2 is normally easiest (2-3 filters in a box commonly) Most stores like Lowe's etc don't carry enough 4/5" options in stock so it's likely you won't find your size. Also, the correct size it being a tight seal is key to this all so no air can pass around the filter with the door closed.

We have dogs that shed a lot and my furnace is in a closet in the garage. Over the Winters I admit I don't like changing the filter because it's cold and I have to take the entire thing apart to do it. Anyways, my fan motor recently went out from having to work harder over the years to pull air through a filthy filter. It cost me $273.. if you add labor into that it's most likely over $500 (a friend and I did it ourselves).

So yes, using good filters (and changing them regularly) is worth it. Randomly waking up one day to a frozen house absolutely sucks.

OK, so I'm fine spending the coin on the larger filter if that is what is needed. Just wasn't sure if the smaller one was rigged up like that because it's an acceptable alternative.

Are any of you speaking from experience (as in, it's your trade) in the field or just guessing?

Kale,

The 5" Filter will just basically be more surface area, so you "shouldn't" need to change as often. The efficiency of a Merv 11 5" versus a Merv 11 1" filter should be the same, in a perfect world.

Depending on the filter, you could lead to more pressure drop across the fan and decrease total airflow throughout the house. But you'd really have to look at the specs of both filters and compare the two.

I work commercial HVAC, so can't really say if that's an accepted standard. But if I was to guess that was all that was needed to meet the code and permit for residency.

It's called a media filter and is far superior to a 1" filter, however needs changed less but costs significantly more. I suggest you buy a couple somewhere online as these are probably $35+ at a place like lowes but could likely be found for half or less Online.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'll probably stick with the 5" filters.

^^ I have the same furnace. Buy them online. I hit Amazon and buy 3 packs of them, even Bryant's OEM ones, for far less than local. They even have Carbon ones that will remove any odors, etc. I tend to pop it in around the holidays when the wife is cooking and smelling up the place with food and sometimes burnt food ;)

I feel bad for whoever has to swap your furnace out next. That gray sealant shit can suck to deal with

I know guys that swear by it, but I've never been a fan. Reminds me of the old asbestos joint days. Metal tape for me.

Hate to say it, but this just shows your lack of HVAC knowledge.....The

GREY JUNK" is what professionals who take their time use in residential and the STANDARD in commercial....But continue using that lazy ass metal tape....Its just fine too.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys....

I have another issue I would like your feedback on......

We had a whole home humidifier (Aprilaire 600) installed back in late October, and we have had a lot of static shock and I have gotten 4 nosebleeds in the past 2 weeks (I haven't had a nose bleed in years)

I went down to check the percentage and then started to look at the unit itself and it looks like they installed the unit backwards!!??

Based on the instructions that were left behind, it appears so...can someone confirm this, please.....From my deductive reasoning, it looks like the air is being humidified, and then sent through the furnace where it is just getting all the moisture evaporated out of it?!

Here are pics of install...It looks like they put the unit on the 'return' side instead of the supply side?!

It was installed by Classic Air.

tl;dr - Is Whole Home Humidifier installed backwards(judging from pictures), before I raise hell with Classic Air

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/81FFB983-5A66-43C7-951C-F76DA071378D_zpsysrednsq.jpg

Wider shot showing the supply side vent in the basement in the foreground

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/E6264D0C-D193-4BB9-8852-41AA23F1B57F_zpso4wmatfi.jpg

Instructions I was referencing

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/036ED9E8-09E6-4FD9-9D9A-1AA452459463_zpsxnekqndf.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/AFEB9CC5-F392-4AE4-B89F-579117C1895C_zpspfmno5qz.jpg