Project "Mini Mother Thumper"

Dr. Apex

When I purchased my ST I noticed pretty quick that the factory stereo is pretty anemic, all the speakers are located in the doors so the system lacks any depth and I knew I wanted to add a sub system. Being a small car I wanted a compact setup but still wanted it to have depth and hit hard. A ported setup requires more space, a sealed box lacks depth on a smaller sub so I decided to go with a Passive radiator setup, small package with big oomph.

I picked up an Alumapro Alchemy MX 10" sub, Earthquake SLAPS M10 radiator, and went with an Arc Audio XXD 2080 class D amp to power it. It's not a lot of power but it doesn't need a lot. I build the box myself out of birch, I could have made it smaller but my skill set is limited in this dept. so the box ended up measuring 12"x12"x9", about .7cu/ft roughly. I used a Stinger wiring kit and some binding posts to make for easy removal for track duty.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/MrAutoX/IMG_0760.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/MrAutoX/IMG_0759.jpg

I have a lot of tuning to do with the amp, stereo, and radiator weights but so far it sounds good and has a depth no sealed box can match.:fuckyeah:

I <3 Brian.

Ben, glad you helped get a little bass back in your life. Birch wood is a material that I hadn't heard about for a speakerbox.

Most people use Baltic birch if not using mdf. The wood he used isn't Baltic birch. People can make boxes out of anything, doesn't mean it is correct.

I <3 Brian.

Ben, glad you helped get a little bass back in your life. Birch wood is a material that I hadn't heard about for a speakerbox.

People still do, but unless your much of an audiophile or just own a car with a great factory stereo like many do these days you won't notice. I really enjoy jamming to some tunes when I go on a cruise etc... so the door speakers weren't going to cut it.

Most people use Baltic birch if not using mdf. The wood he used isn't Baltic birch. People can make boxes out of anything, doesn't mean it is correct.

Yep, not the really good stuff but imo better than mdf and helped stay under budget.

How is the passive radiator working out for you in such a small box?

Good so far, I ran one of those frequency things through it and it has some serious low range for such a small setup which is what I'm going for. I probably could have made the box smaller but the radiator has over 2in of excursion so I needed to leave about 1in between it and the magnet of the sub and my skills with wood working tools are limited, I think I did well for my 1st attempt.

Some of you do realize that just because you or your closest friend no longer do something doesn't mean everyone else has stopped, as well. :p

Not worried, it's not a common thing anymore with many cars having great factory systems and what not. My car has all the inputs and touch screen etc... but lacked anywhere the power and depth even my Mustangs system and I consider myself a bit of an audiophile.

My inspiration for this naturally comes from home theater where passive radiators are commonplace. My landlord has a 15" Sunfire sub setup for his home theater, the box is barely 1.5cu/ft and shakes the whole damn house like I've never seen, though he is pushing 2000 watts from the subs amp alone and his Sunfire receiver adds another 200 watts to the mix.

Haha! I did the same thing with an old Kicker 10" sub and amp when I bought the MS3. Bose system is nice but lacked any real bass. Pops in and out with ease. Adds a great amount of bass without kiddie thumping the plate and back hatch. The newer sound systems are much nicer. The 13 speaker surround set up in the Fusion sounds amazing and has tons of clean bass.

i've been looking on craigslist for a cheap sub to toss into my jeep. The sound system in that thing severely lacks due to the sound bar and dash speakers. Unfortunately I haven't found anything cheap enough.

I don't know what your budget is but I have only $400 in this setup. Though the biggest help came in picking up the sub for $25 off my landlord who'd bought it a couple years ago and never used it, was still in its original packaging. Sub $25, Radiator $99, Amp $160, box $14, cables $50, binding posts/incidentals $20.

My dad used to call guys that do this "Mr. womp-womp" and "chumbawumba's". I used to think he was just an old fuddy-duddy. Now, turning 28, I get pretty annoyed being stuck at a light next to a Mr. Womp-womp.

Mine is barely audible outside the car and nothing vibrates........yet.

I actually have 12" subs and a couple amps already, but space in my jeep is so rare that I want a smaller sub. I'm hoping to find a single box with a 8 or 10, truck sized for $20 or so. I'd rock a 12 if I can find one in a small enough box but most seem to be fairly big.

Whats the heatsink do? Never heard of a subwoofer heatsink... Or at least looking at your pics it looks like theres two subs, but im assuming one is the heatsink?

It's a "Passive radiator". Basically a subwoofer but without a magnet or voice coil. It allows much more movement of the sub than a sealed box but you can keep the box much smaller than a ported setup. It has weights on it that can be added/removed to adjust the resistance to tune it like you would using different port lengths. It's merits are big, deeper sound from an otherwise smaller setup and no port noise as its sealed.

Not familiar with them.

A guy on the Fiesta forum has an in with a newer company called "Ampere Audio" that looks to be pretty nice stuff, I contacted him to see about getting in on some of their stuff as they're pushing some prototypes for no cost, might be worth it.

Some of you do realize that just because you or your closest friend no longer do something doesn't mean everyone else has stopped, as well. :p

Right, I get that... But didn't it go like this...

Equip your car with JL or Rockford Fosgate subs when you are 16 (to get chicks)

THEN

Equip your car with Rimz, body kit, and spoiler when you are 18 (to get chicks)

THEN

Equip your car with an AEM intake and an exhaust when you are 20 (people always left out header)

THEN

Buy a car with a turbo, or turbo your car, or add nitrous when you are 22 (Still trying to get chicks)

And at the end of all this... the chicks you wanted you may have gotten... but you might still be with that chick and your needs as an adult (who has progressed with their level of sophistication) are getting older/wiser and your girl never caught up? I saw that happen to a lot of people.... stuck with a girl who still smokes weed, loves tattoos, and listens to dubstep....

TLDR? Buying a sub is a gateway to dating/marrying a chick who will cheat on you with someone who has more tattoos than you.

TLDR? Buying a sub is a gateway to dating/marrying a chick who will cheat on you with someone who has more tattoos than you.

Hmm, I only did the stereo shit, skipped the rest. (JL and Fosgate are shit imho) My wife and I have been together over 20 years and everyone has more tattoos than I do, since I think they are stupid.

Right, I get that... But didn't it go like this...

Equip your car with JL or Rockford Fosgate subs when you are 16 (to get chicks)

THEN

Equip your car with Rimz, body kit, and spoiler when you are 18 (to get chicks)

THEN

Equip your car with an AEM intake and an exhaust when you are 20 (people always left out header)

THEN

Buy a car with a turbo, or turbo your car, or add nitrous when you are 22 (Still trying to get chicks)

And at the end of all this... the chicks you wanted you may have gotten... but you might still be with that chick and your needs as an adult (who has progressed with their level of sophistication) are getting older/wiser and your girl never caught up? I saw that happen to a lot of people.... stuck with a girl who still smokes weed, loves tattoos, and listens to dubstep....

wt... hahaha