Fort Lauderdale/South Florida. What to do?

Nickey4271647545519

Will be traveling to Fort Lauderale for vacation in March. Will be there for a week. Wondered what you all would suggest doing while down there?

Only things I have planned is a trip to key west for a day, and doing something along the gulf coast (naples-ish area) for a day.

Both drives are going to be hefty, round-trip, from Fort Lauderdale in 1 day...

In March the water may be too cold to go swimming, but great fishing. Great restaurants as well. Are you going around a weekend?

I'm prepared for both drives

I'll be staying Sunday to Sunday.

I'm from there. What are your interests?

Outdoors, history, and good food. I'm pretty open to hear anything that's worth doing there though.

Since you will be in laudy I would go to Los Olas blvd. Rocco's Tacos is by far the best Mexican and turns into a good night life spot. Their food is incredible.

Hit up A1A in lauderdale for cool and touristy places to eat and its on the beach. Lulu's bait shack is a must.

Quarterdeck or Duffy's are local chains that have good food and even better happy hours. Sometimes 3 for 1's.

The hard rock is local and well if you want to gamble is a killer spot. Hit up Palm beach kennel club if you want a good and true poker room.

Cheetahs and scarlet are titty bars you must experience.

I would skip south beach unless you never been. Be prepared for lots of homos and flamboyant ones at that. Nikki beach is much better.

Clevelander hotel in south beach is a great place to party at night. Across the block is mangos. Best salsa club and good drinks and plenty of Latin women.

Head up north a couple exits to del ray beach for good beaches and great local spots. Bostons is the place to go during the day for day drinking and beaches. It's about 20 mins.

Lastly head over to Wellington Florida and go watch polo. Season opened today. If you have never seen it it is quit exciting. Plus it's the place to be. Dress better ten. Nice. Free champagne and ice cream during half time.

If you must fish go to the gulf. Much better fishing and its grouper season. Stone crabs are in right now be sure to get those to.

That's about all I got right now. If you need anything else let me know

Oh yeah and tons of golf courses. Give me a budget and I'll point you to the best course.

Not really looking to golf while I'm there. However spots on fishing and renting tackle would be awesome.

Where in Fort Lauderdale you staying ?

I'll actually be staying in Weston.

Spend more time in key west and on the Naples side if you want fishing. South Florida from Palm beach to Miami is about hookers blow booze day drinking and clubs. If you must fish head up to boynton beach. They have day fishing trips. While you are there old key lime house is an excellent place to sit on the water and eat and drink to live music.

Since you don't really drink i would say to skip Key West, its mostly bars and touristy shit. Other keys have WAY better beaches and provide awesome wildlife experiences.

Go here for key lime pie:

Bob Roth's New River Groves

5660 Griffin Road

Davie, Florida 33314

(954) 581-8630

newrivergroves.com‎

Go here for a lobster roll:

15th Street Fisheries

1900 Southeast 15th Street

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316

(954) 763-2777

gofisheries.com‎

If you go to South Beach, go here for Crab:

Joe's Stone Crabmore info‎

11 Washington Avenue

Miami Beach, Florida 33139

(305) 673-0365

joesstonecrab.com‎

Definitely recommend Las Olas for the night life if you want to party.

Since you will be in laudy I would go to Los Olas blvd. Rocco's Tacos is by far the best Mexican and turns into a good night life spot. Their food is incredible.

Hit up A1A in lauderdale for cool and touristy places to eat and its on the beach. Lulu's bait shack is a must.

Quarterdeck or Duffy's are local chains that have good food and even better happy hours. Sometimes 3 for 1's.

The hard rock is local and well if you want to gamble is a killer spot. Hit up Palm beach kennel club if you want a good and true poker room.

Cheetahs and scarlet are titty bars you must experience.

I would skip south beach unless you never been. Be prepared for lots of homos and flamboyant ones at that. Nikki beach is much better.

Clevelander hotel in south beach is a great place to party at night. Across the block is mangos. Best salsa club and good drinks and plenty of Latin women.

Head up north a couple exits to del ray beach for good beaches and great local spots. Bostons is the place to go during the day for day drinking and beaches. It's about 20 mins.

Lastly head over to Wellington Florida and go watch polo. Season opened today. If you have never seen it it is quit exciting. Plus it's the place to be. Dress better ten. Nice. Free champagne and ice cream during half time.

If you must fish go to the gulf. Much better fishing and its grouper season. Stone crabs are in right now be sure to get those to.

That's about all I got right now. If you need anything else let me know

Spend more time in key west and on the Naples side if you want fishing. South Florida from Palm beach to Miami is about hookers blow booze day drinking and clubs. If you must fish head up to boynton beach. They have day fishing trips. While you are there old key lime house is an excellent place to sit on the water and eat and drink to live music.

Since you don't really drink i would say to skip Key West, its mostly bars and touristy shit. Other keys have WAY better beaches and provide awesome wildlife experiences.

Go here for key lime pie:

Bob Roth's New River Groves

5660 Griffin Road

Davie, Florida 33314

(954) 581-8630

newrivergroves.com‎

Go here for a lobster roll:

15th Street Fisheries

1900 Southeast 15th Street

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316

(954) 763-2777

gofisheries.com‎

If you go to South Beach, go here for Crab:

Joe's Stone Crabmore info‎

11 Washington Avenue

Miami Beach, Florida 33139

(305) 673-0365

joesstonecrab.com‎

Definitely recommend Las Olas for the night life if you want to party.

Some good stuff to use right there. Thanks guys!

The only thing I have to add to this is:

I have a buddy from Florida and he has said on numerous occasions that Rocco's Taco's is the real deal. Sounds like something you should try!

Yeah their food is outta this world

My wife's family is in the area so we spend a decent amount of time down there. Check out rentals on VRBO or Home Away vs. a hotel if it's not too late to change your arrangements. You'd be surprised how much house or condo you can rent for what you'd pay to stay in a hotel. We usually rent either a house in Lauderdale Lakes or a condo on south beach when we visit.

Rocco's Taco's is the real deal...might as well make that mandatory. My favorite Cuban is actually in south beach at a place called Purto Sagua...and for south beach it's really reasonably priced.

One of my favorite touristy things to do is drive down A1A to see what there is to see. Her mom is in West Palm and while it takes awhile I usually jump on A1A one day and drive all the way from West Palm down to South Beach. IF you stopped at all of the interesting little places along the way it could be an all day adventure but can also be done in less than 2 hours if you keep moving.

I love south beach and even though it may not be your speed it's worth checking out just to say you've done it. Everything from south point park to the Lincoln "mall" and everything interesting along the way.

We got married in the Keys (Islamorada) but I agree they were really over rated for us and the drive to get there is long, boring and not as beautiful as you'd think...couple of the bridges are pretty cool though. Like South Beach, if you are traveling in that area and have the time to check out Key West you have to at least go to say you've done it.

Only things I have planned is a trip to key west for a day,

Biggest mistake-its way too far for a one day trip. Stay a few-if your looking to relax you may never leave!

Also if your already in town, you can pick up a 3 day 2 night, or even a 2 day one night cruise to the Bahamas from Lauderdale for basically free. Just call the port-the boats already leaving and they want to entice people to spend money so they will let anyone on LOL