College Football Thread version 9.0

DaddyBuiltRacing

Back to the news paper talk for a minute, I found this on 11warriors

"I was at the Dispatch office yesterday, in the ruckus, getting some copies. The Dispatch guy told me that the Sunday paper this coming Sunday, will be the "stadium edition."

My local paper has a special edition paper out today. I am about to head down and grab one, ill let you know what it looks like. I was lucky to pick up a dispatch from Krogers yesterday, they had a ton of them. I should've grabbed several

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone catch the shots fired by Tyvis Powell?

"The track meet wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The practice was more challenging"

I caught Tyvis Powell getting his ass burnt on Oregons long TD throw, he should probably keep his mouth shut. As big as he comes up with INT's late in games, he gets smoked the rest of the game all game long. Dude is always out of place on plays, takes terrible angles and over all isn't a very good safety. I like the kid based on following his recruitment, he seems like a hard worker and absolutely loves being a Buckeye. Hell he was quoted after the Indiana game to the affect of "Coach Ash told me I had to get an interception this week if I wanted to be the starter next week". Basically to me that comes off as Ash isn't really sold on him 100% either. I just think his backup is either worse or just not physically ready to compete.

anyone catch the shots fired by Tyvis Powell?

"The track meet wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The practice was more challenging"

Right after the game, he took a shot at the hurry up, saying "It isn't "all that"".

Bosa had a different quote. According to him, it was "No joke".

Tyvis, I think, is just "that" dude. Personally, I think every team needs a few of those dudes.

Year end review in Blue

Predictions:

AAC - No good teams here, Cincinnati is my pick but whoever wins the conference has least 3 losses

Three way tie with Memphis (10-3), Cincy (9-4) & UCF (9-4) All three were 9-3 going in to the bowls games.

ACC - Florida St. v. Virginia Tech = FSU Blow out in Championship Game

I was half right, and we all know what happened to VT. I picked the wrong Tech and should have stuck with the triple option.

Big 12 - Baylor, Oklahoma is over rated, has 3 losses, maybe 4

ONE TRUE CHAMPIONS!!! Baylor was correct, half correct if you count TCU as co-champion :dumb: And Oklahoma finished 8-5, 8-4 in the reg. season. I don't drink the Stoops kool-aid, just if I can learn not to drink the Spurrier kool-aid.

Big Ten - MSU v. Iowa = MSU winners

Happily wrong on this one! MSU was the second best team in the Big Ten and I also drank the Frentz kool-aid.

Conference USA - Western Ky v. La Tech = La Tech

It was Marshall vs. La. Tech with the Thundering Herd coming out on top.

MAC - Toledo v. BG = BG wins a shoot out

So Close. NIU beat Toledo by 3 for their only conference loss and giving us a NIU vs. BG Mac Championship. NIU then trounced B.G.

MWC - Fresno St. v. Boise St. = Fresno St.

Got this one right! but then Fresno St. (6-6) lost to Boise St. in the MWC championship, was still allowed to go to a bowl and lost to Rice and finished with a 6-8 record. :no:

Pac 12 - Oregon vs. Arizona St = Oregon

It came down to ASU vs. Zona to play Oregon and Zona won. Then Oregon got revenge in a 51-13 beat down.

SEC - South Carolina v. Bama = South Carolina w/ 2 losses

I drank the Ole Ball Coaches kool-aid and I'm ashamed of it. That other school located in Columbia played Bama, but not very well.

Sun Belt - Troy

Georgia Southern went 8-0 in conference, 9-3 but couldn't go bowling because this was their transition year.

Playoff

1. FSU v. 4. MSU & 2. South Carolina v. 3. Baylor

1. FSU v. 3. Baylor = Famous Jamies steals the show, and some more crab legs

FSU was the only team of the 4 I got right.

Pac 12 gets left out because Oregon will have 2 losses just like South Carolina but SEC. Big 12 Champions left out.

Independents:

Army 4-8 Right on the money

BYU 7-5 8-5 with their bowl loss, pretty close

Navy 6-6 8-5 with their bowl win,

Notre Dame 8-4 Finished 8-5 with their bowl win over LSU

Randoms:

Army finally beats Navy, Air Force wins the Commander-in-Chiefs trophy

Nave beat Army, Air Force won the CiC

BG puts a scare into Wisconsin on Sept. 20 for a half, maybe 3 quarters

Fresno St. Beats USC or Nebraska, or both

Both of these did not happen.

So, thinking about "the track meet", it seems to me that Oregon DIDN'T play as fast as I had seen them go in prior games. They DEFINITELY slowed down as we got deeper into the game. Anyone else notice that?

Doesn't help when your offense is on the sideline. Ohio State did exactly what others should have done against Oregon, run the ball. If you keep Oregon on the sideline they can't score. Also putting them in 3rd and long situations really helped Ohio State. Think about this, if Oregons WR doesn't drop the wide open pass on 3rd down, that's a TD. If their running back doesn't get stuffed at the 1, that's a TD. If Apple doesn't shove Oregon's TE out of the back of the endzone, that's a TD. Three touchdowns taken away that turned into a punt, turnover on downs and a field goal. Basically 21 points turned into 3 points.

Time of possession, Oregon: 22minutes, Ohio State: 37. Ohio State essentially had the ball an entire quarter more than Oregon did haha

Doesn't help when your offense is on the sideline. Ohio State did exactly what others should have done against Oregon, run the ball. If you keep Oregon on the sideline they can't score. Also putting them in 3rd and long situations really helped Ohio State. Think about this, if Oregons WR doesn't drop the wide open pass on 3rd down, that's a TD. If their running back doesn't get stuffed at the 1, that's a TD. If Apple doesn't shove Oregon's TE out of the back of the endzone, that's a TD. Three touchdowns taken away that turned into a punt, turnover on downs and a field goal. Basically 21 points turned into 3 points.

Time of possession, Oregon: 22minutes, Ohio State: 37. Ohio State essentially had the ball an entire quarter more than Oregon did haha

1 of those was a mistake, the other two were good plays by the D. Is this the same D that got straight put to death by Clemson last year? Crazy.

Year end review in Blue

Predictions:

AAC - No good teams here, Cincinnati is my pick but whoever wins the conference has least 3 losses

Three way tie with Memphis (10-3), Cincy (9-4) & UCF (9-4) All three were 9-3 going in to the bowls games.

ACC - Florida St. v. Virginia Tech = FSU Blow out in Championship Game

I was half right, and we all know what happened to VT. I picked the wrong Tech and should have stuck with the triple option.

Big 12 - Baylor, Oklahoma is over rated, has 3 losses, maybe 4

ONE TRUE CHAMPIONS!!! Baylor was correct, half correct if you count TCU as co-champion :dumb: And Oklahoma finished 8-5, 8-4 in the reg. season. I don't drink the Stoops kool-aid, just if I can learn not to drink the Spurrier kool-aid.

Big Ten - MSU v. Iowa = MSU winners

Happily wrong on this one! MSU was the second best team in the Big Ten and I also drank the Frentz kool-aid.

Conference USA - Western Ky v. La Tech = La Tech

It was Marshall vs. La. Tech with the Thundering Herd coming out on top.

MAC - Toledo v. BG = BG wins a shoot out

So Close. NIU beat Toledo by 3 for their only conference loss and giving us a NIU vs. BG Mac Championship. NIU then trounced B.G.

MWC - Fresno St. v. Boise St. = Fresno St.

Got this one right! but then Fresno St. (6-6) lost to Boise St. in the MWC championship, was still allowed to go to a bowl and lost to Rice and finished with a 6-8 record. :no:

Pac 12 - Oregon vs. Arizona St = Oregon

It came down to ASU vs. Zona to play Oregon and Zona won. Then Oregon got revenge in a 51-13 beat down.

SEC - South Carolina v. Bama = South Carolina w/ 2 losses

I drank the Ole Ball Coaches kool-aid and I'm ashamed of it. That other school located in Columbia played Bama, but not very well.

Sun Belt - Troy

Georgia Southern went 8-0 in conference, 9-3 but couldn't go bowling because this was their transition year.

Playoff

1. FSU v. 4. MSU & 2. South Carolina v. 3. Baylor

1. FSU v. 3. Baylor = Famous Jamies steals the show, and some more crab legs

FSU was the only team of the 4 I got right.

Pac 12 gets left out because Oregon will have 2 losses just like South Carolina but SEC. Big 12 Champions left out.

Independents:

Army 4-8 Right on the money

BYU 7-5 8-5 with their bowl loss, pretty close

Navy 6-6 8-5 with their bowl win,

Notre Dame 8-4 Finished 8-5 with their bowl win over LSU

Randoms:

Army finally beats Navy, Air Force wins the Commander-in-Chiefs trophy

Nave beat Army, Air Force won the CiC

BG puts a scare into Wisconsin on Sept. 20 for a half, maybe 3 quarters

Fresno St. Beats USC or Nebraska, or both

Both of these did not happen.

Not bad at all, my man. Props - especially for calling yourself out on where you were wrong.

I totally drank that Boomer Sooner Kool-Aid. NEVER AGAIN

I can't remember who else I picked to do well (or if I even went on record with any predictions). Like Josh said, if you can give us the page, maybe we can go back and look.

1 of those was a mistake, the other two were good plays by the D. Is this the same D that got straight put to death by Clemson last year? Crazy.

No they were def good plays by the defense, just saying if those 3 plays had turned out differently, this game would have as well.

Defenses rarely get the amount of credit they should. So many times "mistakes" and miscues are attributed to ineptitude on the part of the offense, like it's something the offense did wrong as opposed to something the defense did right. Well, I think neither offenses nor defenses exist and a vacuum, and that defenses are capable of "creating" mistakes on the offensive side of the ball.

BTW, I just had this conversation on an elevator here at my work:

I step on elevator. There are two other guys. Both older.

Random Guy 1 just blurts out: "Those dropped passes were a little disappointing from the football team."

Me: "What football team?"

Random Guy 1: "Ohio State."

Me: "What game are you talking about?"

Random Guy 1: "Against Oregon."

Me: "I'm not following what you're saying. How much better did you want us to do?"

Random Guy 2 chimes in at this point: "I'm not complaining about anything."

Random Guy 1 switches it up and goes to another equally weird line of dialogue: "I sure felt bad for some of those Oregon receivers."

Me and Random Guy 2 in unison: "I didn't."

Doors to elevator open, I make a break for it. Not shitting you, I hear Random Guy 1 say: "Yeah, we disrupted their passes using radio frequencies, but don't tell anyone."

I hurry off, trying to put as much distance between me and awkward/mentally ill Random Guy 1 as possible.

Some gems from previous threads:

I am excited to see what JT can do, I honestly think this will make the team better as they will not be able to rely on Braxtons legs to win them games. I feel the running backs are really gonna have to step it up and there is no shortage of talent there.

''For Braxton to have a chance at it, he's gonna have to 1. Stay healthy for an entire season 2. Go undefeated and 3. Put up insane numbers, I'm talking 35 passing and 10+ rushing TD's

I really don't think they want a second 2 time winner, so I don't expect Winston to win it again. I think it'll be the kid from Oregon (Mariotta) honestly as they will put up huge numbers and have a shot at being undefeated (if they can finally beat Stanford)."

I think before the year is over with Samuel will be the starting running back. He looked the best out of all who were used last week. I think for the first 4 weeks, we'll see a lot of guys back there until someone steps up and takes the role over. To me the 3 most explosive looking players on offense were Wilson, Marshall and Samuel.

Haha I was wrong there about the starting running back situation.

BTW, I just had this conversation on an elevator here at my work:

I step on elevator. There are two other guys. Both older.

Random Guy 1 just blurts out: "Those dropped passes were a little disappointing from the football team."

Me: "What football team?"

Random Guy 1: "Ohio State."

Me: "What game are you talking about?"

Random Guy 1: "Against Oregon."

Me: "I'm not following what you're saying. How much better did you want us to do?"

Random Guy 2 chimes in at this point: "I'm not complaining about anything."

Random Guy 1 switches it up and goes to another equally weird line of dialogue: "I sure felt bad for some of those Oregon receivers."

Me and Random Guy 2 in unison: "I didn't."

Doors to elevator open, I make a break for it. Not shitting you, I hear Random Guy 1 say: "Yeah, we disrupted their passes using radio frequencies, but don't tell anyone."

I hurry off, trying to put as much distance between me and awkward/mentally ill Random Guy 1 as possible.

LOL. Invisible laser beams.

Not bad at all, my man. Props - especially for calling yourself out on where you were wrong.

I totally drank that Boomer Sooner Kool-Aid. NEVER AGAIN

I can't remember who else I picked to do well (or if I even went on record with any predictions). Like Josh said, if you can give us the page, maybe we can go back and look.

Humble pie is the best solution to get rid of the Spurrier kool-aid after taste.

Here's my original post. Page 6 of v. 5 I can't remember if any one else did a comprehensive list like I did.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118980&page=6

Conference champion predictions

ACC: FSU

SEC: Georgia

B10: Ohio State (homer vision), if not OSU then Iowa

Pac10: UCLA

Big12: Baylor

Playoffs: FSU vs Baylor, Georgia vs OSU (probably put the Pac12 champ here in real life)

NC: FSU

2 out of 4, nearly had 3 out of 4, wrong national champion though.

As much as I despise this thought, I think the SEC is a lock to have 2 teams in. One will be the winner of the SEC West - so LSU, Bama, or Auburn. If the winner of the SEC West also wins SEC CG, then the loser from the East gets in as the second playoff team. If the winner of the SEC West doesn't win SEC CG, they still get in by virtue of winning the West division.

I like your MSU and FSU picks for the playoffs. I think it'll be Oklahoma, not Baylor, for the Big 12 representative, though I don't think the Big 12 gets in the playoff. Instead, I think it'll be a Pac 12 team like Oregon or UCLA. The Pac 12's strength of schedule is shaping up to be ridiculous.

Good call haha

Ohio State's defense was definitely able to dictate Oregon's tempo. Oregon is what you call a "schedule" team. They have certain situations that they are able to operate out of. If they come out and get 8 yards on the first play, they turn up the tempo. 10 yards on the 2nd play, turn up the tempo more, etc etc, until BOOM big play.

By keeping them behind schedule, they weren't able to create chaos and run tempo. They were forced to try to drop back pass and lay off of play action. TOP is a big help, but not letting them gash you on first down was probably the biggest factor.