New favorite car electronics item

Mojoe

Yup, this is a very simple thing. However, if it has wires, I tend to have an issue with it. I wanted to hard wire my radar detector into the new Subaru. This isn't a hard task for most, but very dreaded for me. I was suppose to have a friend join me, who knows this stuff very well. Again, it is not hard, but I always feel like I'm going to fry my car or the device. I hate finding power and was not aware of this little gem that made me feel a lot better about connecting things.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/Fusewire_zps349a7e44.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002BGELQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1421023748&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41XuJzoZHWL&ref=plSrch

Simple find your ground. Then, plug into the fuse panel in the appropriate power needed. Be sure you note if the fuse point is a power on when the car is on, or something that may draw power all the time. Now, if I can stop breaking the plastic clips.

Edited by Mojoe

Can be any amp fuse. Pic just shows those. I installed with a 10amp for the device and the current 10amp in the other slot for the spot I plugged into.

Fyi, I just ordered 10 of these. I'm going to hard wire my Garmin, but will have extra if someone needs one.

Nice. Never seen these before. Thanks.

EDIT: People still use radar detectors? Man, I haven't had one in about a decade.

They do a lot more now that they have GPS in them. I have the Passport 9500Xi. All red light cameras are marked, you can mark known spots cops sit, or other things you might want to mark. Also, updating to the network can sync what your detector has picked up, and you get info from other detectors that have sync'd. I'm going to West Virginia this week, so it will be handy to have info from the network for the trip. Granted, I'm a 72mph cruise guy. But, I like to have it as a tool.

They do a lot more now that they have GPS in them. I have the Passport 9500Xi. All red light cameras are marked, you can mark known spots cops sit, or other things you might want to mark. Also, updating to the network can sync what your detector has picked up, and you get info from other detectors that have sync'd. I'm going to West Virginia this week, so it will be handy to have info from the network for the trip. Granted, I'm a 72mph cruise guy. But, I like to have it as a tool.

Has anyone integrated a touch screen stand alone GPS & one of these radar detectors together? It seems like they would have a lot of overlapping tech in them and it would be a better device than either could be on it's own.

Has anyone integrated a touch screen stand alone GPS & one of these radar detectors together? It seems like they would have a lot of overlapping tech in them and it would be a better device than either could be on it's own.

Not that I have seen. That would be awesome though. Right now I'm wrapped up $800 to have what I want, how I want in the car. That's three year old gear pricing.

See Joe at least you are smart enough about it to tap into an appropriate place with a fuse rather then scab off something else or connect it to the battery. This stuff is just becoming even more important the more advanced they continue to make vehicles.

See Joe at least you are smart enough about it to tap into an appropriate place with a fuse rather then scab off something else or connect it to the battery. This stuff is just becoming even more important the more advanced they continue to make vehicles.

That is why I was alway worried about messing with this stuff. I didn't know what did what, well enough to not mess it up. This kind of makes it fail safe, and was a clean install. This $4 piece was worth $20 to me for ease of use and safe install.