Columbus Shooting Range Suggestions

bmwohio

I tried to go to LEPD once, two months after their scheduled open date. i walked right in and the guy looked at me like I was crazy and said, "well we're not open!" .... excuse me, how could I be so mistaken by the fact that your opening was suppose to be two months ago and the front door to your GUN SHOP WAS OPEN AS WELL.

Regardless, I have yet to try their range so i will give them another shot no doubt (no pun intended). As for firearms prices, they are pretty much the only firearms retailer in that area of the city so i wouldn't be surprised if they taxed their items a bit more.

yeah if you like paying ass loads to shoot. They only permit "special" ammo to be fired in their range. Oh and its like $23/box of 20rnds of 556

I didn't know this and now probably will never go. Bad enough most of these places have issues with steel ammo...now they want their own stuff. No way...Places need to think about that shit when they aren't the only game in town.

LEPD is close to me - I shoot there about once or twice a month. Carry in my own targets and ammo (yes they check for steel cases) and shoot two to a lane for an hour for $20 as mentioned. They are nice enough but are also strict enough that I've not run into any "problem children" screwing around on the range.

As to the store - ammo prices are high. I did purchase a couple of used guns for a decent deal (they will negotiate on used stuff a bit). New stuff didn't seem crazy expensive...but you could find a lower price if you looked.

LEPD is a joke...

1. I went in there when they first open and they told me I had to be a member in order to shoot my own 556 ammo when I was there. They then proceeded to tell me if I was a nonmember I had to buy the frangible ammo. And now it looks like no one is allowed to shoot regular 556 ammo there.

2. I took my mac 11 there to shoot it one day as it shoots 9 mm and they told me to limit it to a two round burst when firing it in full auto. How are you supposed to enjoy a machine gun and only shooting two rounds per trigger pull?

3. Their prices suck. They want 800 For a NPAP AK pistol that costs 4xx.xx online.

4. When I walk in the gun shop itself all I see are sales people who look at me like a sucker who they are trying to sell an overpriced gun. I swear, those people come off as greedy non-industry idiots.

Wow...surprised to see this! That is the complete opposite of my experience there! I went about 2 months ago and had no issues.

Sorry to hear it bud!

-Marc

Wow...surprised to see this! That is the complete opposite of my experience there! I went about 2 months ago and had no issues.

Sorry to hear it bud!

-Marc

I've go every other week, take my own ammo and targets. Good range and I've never had issues with anyone there. I don't get in an go full auto with my weapons nor would I. It's an indoor range not Shootfest 2008 (Only old school guys remember that) outside where that kind of room can be utilized. I've shot a few weapons full auto and that was at OVO and they were fine with it. I utilize indoor ranges to test ammo, powder and minor handgun equipment.

Has anyone been to the new Vances range on Alum Creek?

I know the guy in charge of it I just don't like to shoot indoors if I can avoid it.

I haven't personally been but I hear they are super anal about everything. Theres a difference between being safe and just being annoying and I've heard a few people say that they are super annoying about the range.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback, it seems like this was a good, healthy discussion to have for everyone's sake.

So, Kyle wasn't able to make it out, but I was able to recruit two other friends and one of them is a member at BlackWing (only 25 mins from my house too), so we ended up going there. With the weather being as nice as it was, you can imagine the place was pretty busy.

There was about an hour wait for the rifle/pistol range, so we took the time to go out and shoot some clay's while we waited. I was able to fire off about 25-30 shells on 2 different 12 ga shotguns.

Keep in mind, I have not shot any type of weapon in about 20 years...so don't laugh too much.

Shotguns:

Browning BPS 28" barrel

Magpul modified Remington 870

Out of the 25-30 shots I think I hit about 5-7 clays.

This morning my wife said "What did you do to yourself?" Apparently, I was not holding the shotgun tight enough against my body, however, it felt like I was.....Is this normal for a n00b?

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/A081F9EB-64CE-4094-BBD8-986271B0EF8C_zpsljw4hffk.jpg

By the time we were done with our tokens, our pager thing went off and it was time for the pistol range.

Pistols I shot were:

Walther PPQ M1 w/Streamlight TLR-4

Walther PPS w/Meprolight night sights

Glock 17 Gen 4 with medium backstrap w/Streamlight TLR-2 HL

Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 ACP

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm

I shot all of them, and I tried the laser sights too. Was not a fan of the laser sights and felt like I was more accurate with just aiming myself.

My favorite to shoot out of all of them was definitely the Walther PPQ. It just felt good in my hands and I could repeat a decent shot group mag after mag (for a beginner anyway).

Here's two of my best. This if from about 10 ft away firing about 1-2 seconds in between shots.

Again, 20 years since I've fired a weapon, so don't bash me too hard.

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/DA69EE2E-8C73-4393-88F8-91CB388A9303_zpszg2erbow.jpg

I'm just the upper target here, not the 'A' 'B' target....

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/bmwohio/ECB77CD6-507F-4D5F-85A5-AEEE921D7268_zpsjpi7cenh.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. BTW, I really liked Blackwing Shooting Center...the place was very clean, they got people in and out of the ranges pretty quickly, and the staff was very nice (I asked lots of questions at the sale counter).

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. BTW, I really liked Blackwing Shooting Center...the place was very clean, they got people in and out of the ranges pretty quickly, and the staff was very nice (I asked lots of questions at the sale counter).

I bought an AR there a few years ago. Extremely helpful and didn't work off commission so there was no rush. The employee on the range seemed like a grumpy old man though lol.

If you are shooting a shotgun yeah it is going to leave lovemarks. That is nothing to worry about. My shoulder looks a lot worse after 100 rounds of birdshot and handfuls of slugs. Shit is really fun though. I don't feel I have spent enough time at a range until I leave feeling like I was in a fight :)