ticket for failure to yield to a stop sign

PRD2BDF

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes. OHP? CPD?

OHP outside of Zanesville.

Seriously.....reamed you out.....last thing a cop is going to do is lecture me. I'd have a fun time with that one.

100% legit. I remember exactly what he said too. "Maybe you east coasters drive like this, but here in my state Mr. Pennsylvania, we have respect for the law! Who do you think you are passing me like that? Maybe there was a reason I was driving slow. I just knew you were going to pass me too!"

Op, how do officers communicate with you?

I've been pulled over maybe 15 times? Only one actually wrote everything down as soon as I informed him I was Deaf. The rest are inconsiderate pricks that won't write anything down. I'm forced to lipread the best I can.

OHP outside of Zanesville.

100% legit. I remember exactly what he said too. "Maybe you east coasters drive like this, but here in my state Mr. Pennsylvania, we have respect for the law! Who do you think you are passing me like that? Maybe there was a reason I was driving slow. I just knew you were going to pass me too!"

Sounds like a prick. Some points that come to mind that would likely get my car tossed:

we have respect for the law

So how exactly did I disrespect the law?

Who do you think you are passing me like that

Describe for me what exactly you my by "that"

Maybe there was a reason I was driving slow

If there was a reason that would impact others that I should have been aware of, how exactly were you notifying those around you of the danger?

I just knew you were going to pass me too!

Could it be because you were going 64mph?

Sounds like a prick. Some points that come to mind that would likely get my car tossed:

If there was a reason that would impact others that I should have been aware of, how exactly were you notifying those around you of the danger?

I've had run-ins with officers over the years that have been very professional, and I have respect for most LEOs, but he just thought he could be a big man by trying to scare a 22 year old kid with out of town tags. I just let him get his rocks off, signed the ticket and drove off without saying one word.

One of my favorites is when asked "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

You respond "You pulled me over, why don't YOU tell me." That was a 2 hour traffic stop for me, I think I pissed off the 4 foot midget prick.

I've been pulled over maybe 15 times? Only one actually wrote everything down as soon as I informed him I was Deaf. The rest are inconsiderate pricks that won't write anything down. I'm forced to lipread the best I can.

If you keep saying "what?", do they eventually get it?

One of my favorites is when asked "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

You respond "You pulled me over, why don't YOU tell me." That was a 2 hour traffic stop for me, I think I pissed off the 4 foot midget prick.

I've had that asked before. My response is most always "please do share the details" as I had over my license and insurance card. Any extensive time delay that's found unwarranted for a typical stop would be just begging the prosecutor to kick the ticket to a simple fine to avoid drama over such a Urinary Olympic Event.

I had a hot-shot cop back in 06 pull me over and "throw the book at me" in terms of a 95mph in a 55mph reckless op, blah blah. He challenged me to show up in court when I simply refused to answer questions or play the game with his BS attempts to be a bully as he raged on the side of 670. LOL. Got it kicked to a 2pt speed violation with minimal court costs. Spent more time in the parking garage than in front of the prosecutor.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Op, how do officers communicate with you?

Two words: JONATHAN LAMBERTON

Oh...and Grant's just bitter because he got pulled over in his Saturn for "Operating a clown car without a valid circus license".

Here's a picture of Grant prepping his SL1 the first time he drove it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/Evosky/hightower_zps9d25485d.jpg

You actually did say you broke the law, as you said, I didn't stop for 3 full seconds, that, is breaking the law. I am with you, it sucks, but, there are a lot of guys out there who use these stops as fishing expeditions.

I have been stopped for window tint, license plate issues, loud exhaust etc....., every time it's the same shit, I know why I got stopped, they are looking for alcohol violations, drug use, warrants....

I have also gotten speed camera tickets, my opinion, I own it, I pay the fine, I should know better, but we all do stupid shit.

get out of here with your logic...

flashing red and blue lights to begin with :)

:lol:

I didntnsay I broke the law. I said I did a full stop but it wasnt for the required three seconds. I am not complaining, I am just asking if there is any way I could get the ticket to turn into a non-moving violation so that it doesn't show up on my insurance.

Does OH law state 3sec? Here in TX, I couldn't find anything stating 3 sec. Just says complete stop, which puts things at the officer's discretion, which is absolute BS.

Does OH law state 3sec? Here in TX, I couldn't find anything stating 3 sec. Just says complete stop, which puts things at the officer's discretion, which is absolute BS.

I've never heard anything about a 3 second stop in my life. Come to a complete stop, if no traffic to yield right of way to, then you go.

4511.43 Right-of-way rule at through highways, stop signs, yield signs.

(A) Except when directed to proceed by a law enforcement officer, every driver of a vehicle or trackless trolley approaching a stop sign shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After having stopped, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways.

(B) The driver of a vehicle or trackless trolley approaching a yield sign shall slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if required for safety to stop, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After slowing or stopping, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle or trackless trolley in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time the driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways. Whenever a driver is involved in a collision with a vehicle or trackless trolley in the intersection or junction of roadways, after driving past a yield sign without stopping, the collision shall be prima-facie evidence of the driver's failure to yield the right-of-way.

© Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Regarding these tickets, I regualarly stop at a sign behind someone who is well over the actual stooping point. As I am technically where you should stop I tend to leave directed following the car in front of me. Can I be ticketed for this? I am stopped where I should be, I check for other cars.

Yep, that is what I did and got ticketed.

I got ticketed for this shit last summer on my motorscooter, except I was 100% in compliance with making a legal stop behind the line for more than 3 seconds, foot down and all. I asked the officer right then and there if he got it on camera and got his badge number and cruiser number. Plead not guilty and showed up prepared to fight it only for the cop not to show, lol. I would have just paid it and not cared tbh (I'll view it as paying for all the times I didn't get a ticket and should have) but I was on my motorcycle temps at the time and had zero points and wanted to keep it that way.

So you admit to breaking the law and still complain about a ticket?

The law is the law regardless of how much traffic is out.

"There wasn't much traffic out officer so I thought I could drink and drive"

"Not much traffic out tonight officer, so I figured a few street races wouldn't hurt"

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=553&pictureid=5404

I'm not bitter. These threads just crack me up when people try to get out of shit when they know they done fucked up.

your responses crack me up just because of this uber sense of "responsibility" and little to no understanding as to how big of a scam the police really run with these laws. There are certain laws which are protective of the populace and serve a legitimate need, and then there are laws which while they have a general "good for the community" interpretation are abused by Law enforcement for the purposes of filling their coffers rather than administering justice.

As pointed out by LT1 Rick - It's a complete stop which is pretty subjective and within the officer's discretion. That's pretty loose considering that most courts give too much credence to officers testimony due to experience (it's kind of cyclical really - the more tickets written the more they are trusted even if none of those tickets lead to an actual conviction, what a garbage notion).

Also officers have within their discretion to issue warnings. If the OP rolled the stop sign and almost caused an accident, then by all means the citation is probably just. but if it was a clear intersection, and no potential for accident what's the harm in a warning over an actual ticket? well the harm is to the state/county/city's checkbook not really anybody on the road. Remember, officers know exactly how much of an inconvenience a ticket is and they use that to their advantage. Take away that advantage by appearing and requesting resources for accommodation and it becomes easier to negotiate the issue.

OP, I say fight it and when you appear please request a disability accommodation (if you sign, request a translator even if you can speak to the judge normally) and explain to whomever (depending on the court it will either be a prosecutor to negotiate or the judge) that the officer did not properly communicate with you and you don't understand the charge. chances are they won't feel this one is worth fighting for them and give you something.

Remember, penny ante bullcrap like this is seldom about the law or justice - it's just a strategy game of who can inconvenience who and how much can be pulled out of your pocket.

By the way, in case anyone wants to know where the 3 second stop rule comes from the generic national Driver's ed guides that schools use to teach you how to drive. It's pretty dated thinking in that they recommend 3 seconds is how long it will take you to assess the situation and then operate your vehicle properly as a new driver - from an era when manual brakes and manual steering were a common thing (and used cars might still have a manual timing advance).

Well......technically, yes. But I still do stupid shit and get stopped. I will say I have never played the "professional courtesy" card, if I get a ticket, it's because I own it.

I truly don't understand this post. You are on a public forum, claiming to be some type of leo, yet admitting that you do "stupid s---" on the same roads you probably enforce. Thanks for not claiming the "I'm a cop too" get out of jail free card, but come on, its not like you don't know the laws. Tell me you work in a jail...

Tom