Starting a new project....big vintage speedster

Jon1647545566

A while back, I posted about my ideas of stuffing big V8s into little vintage british cars which is going to have to wait because recently an opportunity(?) presented itself that I couldn't resist my brain from amusing itself with. I have always liked the vintage (1900-1932) roadsters, modifieds, and speedsters. Problem is, I'm a big dude and people of that era were not. So going the traditional route of a Model A or T would have been difficult without wearing the car like a suit. The idea has never left my head and has been especially attractive since I no longer ride motorcycles. Being out in the wind would be nice. So I have been pouring over google images looking at big speedsters, you know, auburn, Packard, cord, duessy, and earlier ones like American LaFrance conversions and things of that nature just letting the mind wonder. I recently sold off my '64 chevy to pay some bills, so fun money is at an all time low.

Then I came across this '32 Chevy 1-ton truck chassis for cheap. This is kicking off the project. I have left over parts from old projects and I intend to use what I can to create something that looks the part. Plans are Chevy I6, 4spd trans, GM 10 or 12 bolt rearend. I will have to hand made the body. The chassis has a 131" wheelbase that is similar to the large late 20's luxury coach built speedsters.

The wheels are another issue that I am going to have to get past. The wheels on this chassis are the right diameter for what I am going for, but they are lock-ring wheels that I would prefer not to use, plus they are ugly. My challenge is now finding an affordable, attractive wheel with large diameter but thin width. This will likely be the toughest part of the build.

Still have some parts to collect. I would rather find a 292 w/ SM-465 trans than use my 194 w/ Muncie, so I am keeping my eyes open for that. Looking for some sort of decent looking fuel tank (anybody have an old 20-30gal air compressor tank?). I will need to locate a rearend also. I have a lead, but haven't bit on it yet.

Chassis is at my buddy's house and is coming home this weekend to start getting stripped. Wish me luck on this one, I'm going to need it. I'm hoping this one doesn't blow up on the launch pad. I will try to update as I can.

My pile o' parts:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/hotrodderguy/big%20roadster/20150207_121347_zpscpqlwzev.jpg

Inspiration:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h266/rustic_2006/1917alf38.jpg

http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/1919-American-La-France-La-Bestioni-Rolling-Thunder-Speedster.jpg

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/snow_1-jpg.1873113/

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/t6_dG3kzTZ0/hqdefault.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to need a straight 12 ...

If I could afford one... I would. Diesel power would be interesting as well, but I don't know a whole lot about diesel. Have also kicked around the idea of an old GM straight 8, but they are tough to find in good condition and cost a mint to rebuild. If I can track down a 292 and a SM465 w/ granny gear, I think the combo should have enough torque and gearing for my needs.

The engine will be shoved back a good bit behind the front X-member. I will be using the front x-member to support my old ford industrial power unit grille and a radiator. Front frame horns will be exposed for the right look. Might add a spreader bar, but at this point that is minutia.

Edited by Jon

Two in line 6s

Yeah, gave that some thought too. Wouldn't be too tough to do, a coupler and mid-mount plate should be about the toughest part and getting the timing right and the crank alignments. Maybe twin 250's. Have to break out the tape measure and do some figurin' when I get a chance.

you and I seem to think a lot alike.

If you are interested, I have a pontiac OHC six and a turbine 3 speed automatic trans I have been saving for a similar project. It was a 66,000 mile engine when I pulled it, and I pulled it because it has a noisy cam follower. When I was shopping for cam followers I managed to find a rebuilt 68 OHC six for less money and stab that in instead. Way more unique than a chevy I6. It's been out of the car for about 5 years, covered on a stand in the back of my father's attached garage.

Another engine to consider, if you don't already own the chevy is the jagaur inline 6. Often called the british small block chevy because of longevity and parts availability. you can probably pick up an 80's running 6 cyl XJ6 rusty parts car and then you get the whole drive train including the jag rear, which you can mock up into a period looking faux dedion racing rear end. This is the engine that gave ferrari fits because of how well designed it is and it also has the unique feature (for inline sixes anyway) of having the intake and the exhaust on opposite sides. This means your handcrafted bodywork can have an intake scoop on one side of the hood and an exposed exhaust header (like a P-51 mustang) out the other side. Just something to think about.

you and I seem to think a lot alike.

If you are interested, I have a pontiac OHC six and a turbine 3 speed automatic trans I have been saving for a similar project. It was a 66,000 mile engine when I pulled it, and I pulled it because it has a noisy cam follower. When I was shopping for cam followers I managed to find a rebuilt 68 OHC six for less money and stab that in instead. Way more unique than a chevy I6. It's been out of the car for about 5 years, covered on a stand in the back of my father's attached garage.

Another engine to consider, if you don't already own the chevy is the jagaur inline 6. Often called the british small block chevy because of longevity and parts availability. you can probably pick up an 80's running 6 cyl XJ6 rusty parts car and then you get the whole drive train including the jag rear, which you can mock up into a period looking faux dedion racing rear end. This is the engine that gave ferrari fits because of how well designed it is and it also has the unique feature (for inline sixes anyway) of having the intake and the exhaust on opposite sides. This means your handcrafted bodywork can have an intake scoop on one side of the hood and an exposed exhaust header (like a P-51 mustang) out the other side. Just something to think about.

I like the jag idea..... what kind of torque did they have? I think I am going to need the torque that a big inline 6 can provide to get this thing moving. I know some jags accepted chevy bellhousings (Or at least used TH400 transmissions) also, would this be one of them? Mostly likely I will be limited to what falls in my lap for cheap. If you asked me my budget I'd show you my shoe string. haha

I as well like where this project is heading. I have an old air compressor you can have for the tank if you like. It is only 10-15 gallons (no markings) and I need the regulator, but the rest is yours if you want it.

Might be able to stretch it a bit if I split it and add a little sheet metal. I'd be interested in seeing it. Thanks.

I like the jag idea..... what kind of torque did they have? I think I am going to need the torque that a big inline 6 can provide to get this thing moving. I know some jags accepted chevy bellhousings (Or at least used TH400 transmissions) also, would this be one of them? Mostly likely I will be limited to what falls in my lap for cheap. If you asked me my budget I'd show you my shoe string. haha

Depends on the size and generation of the jag engine.

1949-1992 XK inline 6:

This is the old line jag engine and really the only one that you want and will be cheap out of this line is the 4.2L which was used until 1987 in the XJ6.

In XKE trim it made 265 hp and 283 ft lbs. To get it to make that number from an XJ6 engine usually requires a cam, triple side draft carbs, and an exhaust. In racing trim these engines made 400 hp and an equal amount of torque in the 1950s.

1983 -1994 AJ6: These are the replacement inlines, not as much parts support but better engines stock. these should also have the chevy bolt pattern transmissions.

The Big 4.0L six from 1989 to 1994 made stock 289 Ft Lbs of torque (and 245 HP). There is a "Sports" version as well from that era that made 250 hp and 278 ft lbs.

the 3.6L makes about 240 ft lbs and is the earlier engine going back to 1983. Not ideal but probably the cheapest and still useable.

The 3.2 and 2.9 make about 220 ft lbs but you'll want to stay away from those.

I would look for a pre 1987 XJ6 or 6cyl XJS parts car that runs. I cruise CL for jags often and while there are none on there now, by mid summer there should be 1 or 2 rust but running wrecks. The nicest pre 1987 XJ6 on there now is $2000 for a running driving no issue car with a rebuilt engine with 43,000 on it.

Depends on the size and generation of the jag engine.

1949-1992 XK inline 6:

This is the old line jag engine and really the only one that you want and will be cheap out of this line is the 4.2L which was used until 1987 in the XJ6.

In XKE trim it made 265 hp and 283 ft lbs. To get it to make that number from an XJ6 engine usually requires a cam, triple side draft carbs, and an exhaust. In racing trim these engines made 400 hp and an equal amount of torque in the 1950s.

1983 -1994 AJ6: These are the replacement inlines, not as much parts support but better engines stock. these should also have the chevy bolt pattern transmissions.

The Big 4.0L six from 1989 to 1994 made stock 289 Ft Lbs of torque (and 245 HP). There is a "Sports" version as well from that era that made 250 hp and 278 ft lbs.

the 3.6L makes about 240 ft lbs and is the earlier engine going back to 1983. Not ideal but probably the cheapest and still useable.

The 3.2 and 2.9 make about 220 ft lbs but you'll want to stay away from those.

I would look for a pre 1987 XJ6 or 6cyl XJS parts car that runs. I cruise CL for jags often and while there are none on there now, by mid summer there should be 1 or 2 rust but running wrecks. The nicest pre 1987 XJ6 on there now is $2000 for a running driving no issue car with a rebuilt engine with 43,000 on it.

Interesting. Thanks. Will have to do a little lookin' around.

I think I may have somebody coming to relieve me of the stake bed tonight... fingers crossed. then I can get some better measurements and start doing some planning.

Detroit Diesel 4-53T. Turbocharged and Supercharged two-stroke diesel that runs forever and can be repaired with a sledgehammer. The 6V53 (V6, 53ci per cylinder) or 6V71 (V6, 71ci per cylinder) would be too big for that narrow framerail chassis.

You don't need to understand diesels to put one of these in that chassis and roar down the road. :)

Clay, that 2 stroke diesel, requires the "supercharger" to even run. In NA form, a 2 stroke diesel won't run. It can't move air fast enough on it's own to operate. The supercharger, on that, will only produce about 3.5PSI peak, but it's enough to get it going, until the turbo spools up!