Best Car for $4k

AudiOn19s

I'd say early model Lexus, they will run for fucking ever with hardly any maintenance. (I've had my current SC for 3 years, 240,000+ and the only thing under the hood I've touched is the alternator) but man if she needs anything done to it they (Florida Mechanics) are going to take her to the cleaners.

Question: what is most important to her? Just having a car to get from A-B? or Having a car with properly functioning everything (windows, AC, Radio etc). If she just needs to get from A-B a 90's Toyota/Lexus should fit the bill, but could become problematic if she wants little nit-picky stuff replaced/fixed.

Tell me more about what to look for in a focus?

A Zetec or a Duratec. The 2.0 SPI single-cam 4-cylinders are unreliable.

The 2.0 Zetec is olllld tech, cast-iron, very reliable - but has a timing belt that needs to be serviced every 90,000 miles or so (although it's not an interference engine, so it's not a deal-breaker). The all-aluminum 2.0 and 2.3 Duratec use a timing chain instead, and are probably the better choice of the two.

Every Focus from 2005-on used a Duratec, so unless you are looking at a 2000-2004 model, it won't even be a factor.

Yes it was the Zetec engine, I was trying to remember which she had. Duratecs seem to be reliable when maintained, but you can say that for most engines.

My 2002 Focus was the biggest piece of shit i ever owned.

Agreed they are turds on wheels, but it worked for point A to B

Late 90's Buicks. Excellent gas mileage, just enough power, comfortable enough for a drive to the moon and back, and super reliable. They're all over craigslist for $1500-$3000

Does that apply to the Riveria? because if it does, I've got some CL searching to do....

Just did a search and found 3 for right about $4k. My high school gf's dad had one and one weekend they went out of town and we "stole" his car for some hooning. Then we got back to her house and fucked in her parents' bed. She had small tits with huge nipples.

Late 90's Buicks. Excellent gas mileage, just enough power, comfortable enough for a drive to the moon and back, and super reliable. They're all over craigslist for $1500-$3000

QFT

Considering the demographic of Florida, I would expect there to be a gajillion of them that had been kept very well maintained by the dealer for their geriatric owners. Around here, most of them that I see are on the 4th owner and have some problems. Look for a 3800 Series II motor N/A. The paint sun damages easily, so it shouldn't be hard to spot the garage-kept ones. I've seen some in good shape for sale for $1500.

I would think nearly the same could be said for the Panther platform cars, but they don't get as good mpg and are more of a tank to park.

Hondas take abuse after abuse and seem to keep on ticking. Little to no maintenance and they go like a tank, easy to maintain, cheap parts what else can you ask for in a cheap car. My vote would be a crv. Even if the motor blows they still have more than double their scrap value to buyers it seems. I cant believe guys suggesting lexus simy because I have found places dont like workingbon something they arent familiar with or they charge 3x's what it should cost because of name, parts are more expensive. For money and descriotion of mil how can you beat a honda.

Brian and Doc are right on the money. Pretty much any Buick, or 3800-powered GM car. Cheap, reliable, practical. I've owned three W-bodies (two GTPs and a Regal GS) with the L67 (supercharged 3800) and they were awesome daily drivers. Much more comfortable and more power than any Civic or Corolla.

If you want something even bigger, I'd recommend an LT1 B-body (Caprice, Roadmaster, etc) or a 4.6L Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car.

Sounds like you should buy her a bus pass or maybe a taxi card...

Been down that road before...I'm not winning that battle. Last time we got her a car it was my money and I was pissed about the fact she didn't take care of it so I took it away which was a less than popular decision with my wife.

This time around it's her dime, I'm just trying to help her spend it as effectively as possible.