Photo and Video Cloud Server Type Thing?

wagner

So I need to build a cloud server or some other type of storage device to keep my photos and videos on. I have no idea where to begin with this or if there is something out there already.

I have external hard drives now, I'm just worried about those failing and want to build something that is stable and backed up.

Any ideas or suggestions? I need it to be stable and reliable more than anything. Being able to expand it would be great too. I have a desktop that Orion built for me, I just don't remember if I can stick more HDs in it.

TlDr; I need to store lots of photos and videos in a stable and reliable way, tell me what I need.

You could get something like this to put your drives in. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122130&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSPRONASDISK-_-22-122-130-_-Product

Hook it up to your network, set up port forwarding (Decent info here: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121080&highlight=forwarding) then connect to it using filezilla or your favorite FTP client. You may want to evaluate your internet connection before you do this. Most home internet connections have terrible upload speeds.

Also, its just a server, not a cloud. (pet peeve of mine)

Do what I did before I went off the deep end with storage. Antec case, raid card (optional, as ZFS may be a better option) cheap microcenter amd cpu/mobo bundle, and a bunch of 2tb HDD. This is what it looked like before I moved all my shit to a rack and became an unreasonable human.

http://i.imgur.com/I1w5B14.jpg

For the price of some of the easy nas options that only fit 2-4 HDD, you can build something that can fit 10 or so. Great if you want added redundancy.

Do what I did before I went off the deep end with storage. Antec case, raid card (optional, as ZFS may be a better option) cheap microcenter amd cpu/mobo bundle, and a bunch of 2tb HDD. This is what it looked like before I moved all my shit to a rack and became an unreasonable human.

http://i.imgur.com/I1w5B14.jpg

For the price of some of the easy nas options that only fit 2-4 HDD, you can build something that can fit 10 or so. Great if you want added redundancy.

How much to build this and if I pay you in beer can you help me set it up?

I use a WD My Cloud RAID set up and have all my items backed up to a virtual cloud as well.

That is what I want to do, a hardware and cloud backup (mostly for my big files). I use SmugMug to put up my edited stuff now only.

That is what I want to do, a hardware and cloud backup (mostly for my big files). I use SmugMug to put up my edited stuff now only.

When you say "cloud" do you mean hosted and stored by someone else or actually stored in your house on a backup appliance?

The latter isn't a cloud based storage system. Its just a server with access from the outside. Ryans setup would work for this. You could even buy a cheap domain name and point to it if you wanted.

When you say "cloud" do you mean hosted and stored by someone else or actually stored in your house on a backup appliance?

The latter isn't a cloud based storage system. Its just a server with access from the outside. Ryans setup would work for this. You could even buy a cheap domain name and point to it if you wanted.

Cloud, as in someone else is storing it as well and they act as an extra layer of redundancy.

I want to build a server in my own home as well to keep things on.