1 dead at Disney

Mallard

I'm curious about how this happened. There is some speculation that they were running the course clockwise and in that direction there was an open guardrail end that could easily collect a car where as if they were running the course counterclockwise even if they hit the guardrail they wouldn't have hit the end.

Real bummer.

I did the Richard Petty Driving Experience (NASCAR) at Didney back in 2007. Small track, we obviously went counter-clockwise making a bunch of left turns which the track is designed for.

Jalopnik's got an aerial view of the Lambo, and it looked like it slid the passenger's door into the edge of the guardrail at a 45* angle. :no: Very sad indeed.

http://jalopnik.com/lambo-crash-at-disney-world-track-kills-passenger-1697421901

Stuff like this sucks. Maybe they should put cages in these cars, so that if they get an inexperienced driver losing it they stand a better chance.

I don't think a cage would have saved him sliding sideways into the pointy end of a barrier not meant for cars traveling that direction.

I don't think a cage would have saved him sliding sideways into the pointy end of a barrier not meant for cars traveling that direction.

+1, this is why they design courses to run certain directions. There are courses that can run both directions but they do not have barriers that point an open end toward or parallel to a road surface.

Agreed. Looks to me like maybe he got confused and thought he was supposed to take the turn-off? Otherwise, I can't figure how you lose it like that on the straight...

how they could not have some type of water barrier or impact zone or something at the end of that rail is beyond me.

http://elderlee.ehclients.com/images/landing/Impact_Attenuators.jpg

Hindsight is 20/20, but it all goes back to:

1)track was designed and budgeted for a certain type of racing.

2)Inexperienced driver and the decision to go the wrong way on said track.

If someone did a "Driving Experience" at Tuttle Mall and died from hitting an obstacle, everyone would wonder what could've been done differently. Still doesn't change that people took risks.

If someone did a "Driving Experience" at Tuttle Mall and died from hitting an obstacle, everyone would wonder what could've been done differently. Still doesn't change that people took risks.

I see what you did there.....he he he

Here is the thing that irks me - The track was obviously designed by someone who knew the basics of track design and safety and laid it out to run in only one direction. Judging from the comments I am seeing on this regarding people's personal experience it was run in the safe direction for a while and then someone decided to run one type of car in the safe direction and another type of car in the opposite direction. Clearly whomever made that decision was not familiar with safety or track design and may have been done (and this is just me speculating) to help increase the maintenance intervals of the surface. Disney is not a racing company, they are a theme park and they kind of fell down on the specialized safety concerns that go into managing any kind of racing surface.

The only good news to come out of this is that work around the campfire is that the attraction is going to close for good and become a parking lot.