Need New Front Windshield for my car...

Diamonds

Lexus LS460

Got a rock chip in my window in January. Called Safelite to repair and they did repair it.

3 months later there is a 12 inch crack now.

Anyone know if a good cheap place to get a new windshield?

Thanks!

Bob

I'm going to ask the obvious, especially since I just sat in a local business seminar where the CFO was talking about customer service being #1... Isn't there a warranty on their work?

I had a crack in my old minivan's windshield and an aftermarket windshield through Safelite beat out Gerber and someone else I called by a significant amount. That's where I would still go unless you want to pay top dollar for OEM repairs.

I'm pretty sure Safelite will credit the cost paid for the repair toward the replacement. Be careful about where you get it done, not all aftermarket glass is made the same. I've heard of some of the cheaper aftermarket windshields having visible waves or other flaws that the average person might not notice, but would drive a car guy nuts.

I've not dealt with them, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about "First Glass".

Safelite uses OEM rejections and Chinese manufacturers. A good friend of mine is an attorney in the automotive realm and recommends not using them. On my last car I installed a Pilkington windshield. It was perfect.

Safelite uses OEM rejections and Chinese manufacturers. A good friend of mine is an attorney in the automotive realm and recommends not using them. On my last car I installed a Pilkington windshield. It was perfect.

No they don't.

Source - I work there.

We make our own glass, buy from Pilkington, PPG, Mygrant, etc if we don't have something, and they do the same with us, and we can get OEM glass from the dealer if requested, but it's $$$

The work is warrantied and if a chip turns into a crack, they'll credit the repair cost to a new windshield (ie, if you pay $100 for a repair that later fails and a new WS is $190, you pay $90).

No they don't.

Source - I work there.

We make our own glass, buy from Pilkington, PPG, Mygrant, etc if we don't have something, and they do the same with us, and we can get OEM glass from the dealer if requested, but it's $$$

The work is warrantied and if a chip turns into a crack, they'll credit the repair cost to a new windshield (ie, if you pay $100 for a repair that later fails and a new WS is $190, you pay $90).

You do NOT use Chinese glass, such as XYG, YYG, or YHG? Or are you saying that Safelite would never use glass that doesn't meet the standards of the car manufacturers?

Not sure where this really come from.

Safelite orders probably 2-4 windshields from us, OEM, each week.

No they don't.

Source - I work there.

what if I didn't pay a dime because they said that nationwide covered the repair cost?

what if I didn't pay a dime because they said that nationwide covered the repair cost?

It should still be whatever Nationwide paid at the contracted price. They're not going to charge you the full price just because you didn't pay anything out of pocket.

You do NOT use Chinese glass, such as XYG, YYG, or YHG? Or are you saying that Safelite would never use glass that doesn't meet the standards of the car manufacturers?

My comment was more towards your "OEM rejects" piece. We do not stock OEM glass, and if we need to get it, it's through the dealership and the same piece you can go in and buy.

I believe Xinyi (XYG) is one of many suppliers that we use...but the way you said it came off as if Chinese glass and OEM rejects are the only thing that is used...YYG/YHG I have never heard of. All the glass is at least OEE (original equipment equivalent).

You could have had us put in Pilkington glass. We could've ordered it :)

It should still be whatever Nationwide paid at the contracted price. They're not going to charge you the full price just because you didn't pay anything out of pocket.

I talked to Safelite last Thursday and they said someone would need to call me to talk prices on a new window. Do you know how soon they will call?

I talked to Safelite last Thursday and they said someone would need to call me to talk prices on a new window. Do you know how soon they will call?

No clue man. That's all handled through the sales department/call center...I just handle the A/R for our wholesale side.