Would you buy a modded car?

caseyctsv

I've had some poor experiences with previously modded cars, so make sure you know the platform well and what it will take if you purchase it and need to resolve issues.

2006 Subaru Legacy GT (highly modded the wrong way) - Fuck that thing. We traded it back in four months later and it popped the engine soon after.

1987 Buick Grand National (highly modded the right way, almost) - Ran great until I popped a head gasket. PITA to repair, sold it back to the previous owner (<3 Jeff), he popped it a few days later. Turned out the guy he bought it from blew the engine and rebuilt it with NA parts.

1995 Ford Mustang Cobra (mildly modded with all bolt-ons) - This thing was a nightmare when we bought it electrically. After many hours of labor, it's almost back to normal as it should have been. I have the harness for that final step and it should be 100% by fall.

2000 Pontiac Trans Am (lightly modded) - Redneck engineering. I spent all weekend unfucking the absolute worst header-back exhaust system I have ever seen. Ever. Ever seen something so lazy as to install headers, not install O2 bungs for the sensor 1 locations, and run simulators instead? Yeah. Now it's running fantastic, sounds good, and knows how to adjust for A/F.

I didn't know the Cobra platform, if I did it probably wouldn't have been nearly as bad. I know quite a bit about the 4th Gen F-Body platform, so this was easy to diagnose and repair.

That being said, I hope you're getting another WS6 or a Firehawk :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - Update - the car was modified by a reputable shop in Florida - Next Level Performance.

I have the receipts - 8,000 in total

The mods were done in late 2011 / early 2012 - so long enough that you would hope the bugs are worked out. Here is my only concern - cam looks HUGE.

It is a 2011 Camaro SS (LS3) - it has a Comp Cam 231/247 XER 617/624 on a 113 LSA. I knew the LS1/6 well but those specs look outrageously large for the street. Anyone have any experience with an LS3 with a cam that big?

It is an M6 and the gears were upgraded to 4.10s

Cam close to that one...

Yup - except it will be on an LS3 :-)

Deposit made. Flying out on Friday 6/5 to drive it and, hopefully buy it / drive it home :-)

It will be cool to be back in the "car game".

Yup - except it will be on an LS3 :-)

Deposit made. Flying out on Friday 6/5 to drive it and, hopefully buy it / drive it home :-)

It will be cool to be back in the "car game".

Exciting! You're gonna have "antsy-pants" 'till then! Fuck yeah, I said it. :fuckyeah:

• Upvote 1

Nice! The 113 LSA should help smooth it out a bit on an ls3. Should make impressive numbers if its tuned right. Supporting mods? Ported intake, heads?

They are looking for the dyno sheet but my "internet snooping" of the builder's Facebook found the car in the dyno and the caption showed "460 RWHP". I only know it has a cam, upgraded valve train to support the cam, under drive pulley, and 4.10 gears. I would have to assume it has an intake and exhaust.

Curious to see what you feel when you sit in it and push the loud peddle. As someone who's modified nearly everything I have owned a lot of the enjoyment of the ride is also the journey..

However there is certainly something to be said for a turn key and it works kind of ride where someone else has put the time, money, beers, and grey hairs into working through the bugs.

A question I would love answered is how does it tickle your feels versus building one yourself? Kind of like buying a "Fast and Loud" car versus spending evening/weekends on your garage floor. Just curious..

Very good question. I struggled with it actually. To be honest, as I thought about it, I am "passable" with a wrench but typically pay to have the hard stuff done. I don't have the time or patience anymore to do it myself. I am really good with the "appearance" stuff and already have plans for that. That would be my approach to make it mine. I was not looking for a modded one, tripped across this one and felt it was a good deal - assuming the work is done well. There is well over 8k invested in this one and, based on what I am paying, I get that all for free. I am aware it could have issues but it would take a lot to wipe out what I am saving buying it this way. The receipts I have total 8k and that does not include the intake and headers which I now know it also has.