Say it ain't so BMW!

caseyctsv

I'd be very surprised if this becomes reality, in the US at least.

I won't. Car manufacturers are following in the path of video game engineers in enabling a generation of no-talent ass clowns behind the wheel that have no idea how to properly manipulate a manual transmission.

They're over complicating transmissions and creating expensive service items in the process.

Yes the technology is better / faster than a good old fashioned manual when they are working properly and for the most part they are taking driver error out of damaging the boxes. That said, I personally know two people with new GT3's that have already required full transmission replacements and my student's GT3 a few weeks ago at Mid Ohio kept going into transmission limp mode on the track.

I'll stick with 3 pedals myself...I think it's a sing that I'm getting old as I'm a part of a dying breed.

BMW owners buying new cars don't buy manuals anymore. If more people bought them then BMW would continue to build them. my $.02.

No one really does. I don't know what todays stats are but I remember even back in the late 80's and early 90's mainly ecomony budget cars and high end cars were all that sold in manuals. Then transmissions got faster, better, people got lazy and the good economy kicked in and they fell even faster.

Not the same.

Manuals are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and last longer.

How is it not the same? Are carbureted engines not cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain???

fuel injected engines are more complicated, require more parts, more expensive, and require a computer for gods sake.

I won't. Car manufacturers are following in the path of video game engineers in enabling a generation of no-talent ass clowns behind the wheel that have no idea how to properly manipulate a manual transmission.

They're over complicating transmissions and creating expensive service items in the process.

Sad but true. Well said.

I can't imagine my "fun" car having two pedals, but unfortunately for me, I'm in the minority these days.

To be fair, he didn't say they were getting rid of them, he just didn't have high hopes. He says as long as people want them, they will build them.

On the positive side, especially given the hp limit, perhaps they'll start refocusing on the driving dynamics they were once famous for.

BMW owners buying new cars don't buy manuals anymore. If more people bought them then BMW would continue to build them. my $.02.

Wait wait people still buy BMWs? I thought it was just leasing these days? :p

When I bought my challenger and my wife bought her camaro, we had to move the cars into and out of the lots because they couldn't find anyone that could drive a manual car in the entire dealership!!! It's a shame anymore and I'll keep an old ass beater with a manual so my kids can learn before they get their license.

When I bought my challenger and my wife bought her camaro, we had to move the cars into and out of the lots because they couldn't find anyone that could drive a manual car in the entire dealership!!!

unfuckingbelievable

unfuckingbelievable

I was a little surprised myself, but not one of the sales people could and they went back to the service department trying to find someone to bring the cars out and prep them for a ride. I just laughed and said "I can do it", so the salesman said "that would be great, we can't find anyone". I was shocked that nobody on a car lot could drive one, especially none of the sales team.....

When I bought my challenger and my wife bought her camaro, we had to move the cars into and out of the lots because they couldn't find anyone that could drive a manual car in the entire dealership!!! It's a shame anymore and I'll keep an old ass beater with a manual so my kids can learn before they get their license.

Sounds like something to put on an application for a dealership now. And I also will have something with a manual transmission for my son to learn on, it's a good skill to have.

Sounds like something to put on an application for a dealership now. And I also will have something with a manual transmission for my son to learn on, it's a good skill to have.

My mom made me learn, but I picked it up easy after riding dirt bikes forever. I taught my wife and I'll make my kids do it before they can do or drive anything else.