Columbus light rail

zeitgeist57

http://www.columbusunderground.com/underground-light-rail-idea-presented-as-connect-columbus-initiative-continues-bw1

A subway line???? Seriously, some of these "downtown interconnection" people are absolute morons in my book. We can barely keep concrete curbs from breaking apart after a few winters in our area and they want us to start digging subway tunnels?

ATTENTION HIPSTERS: Keep convincing people to bike and walk more. Don't worry about convincing the general public that a $2 billion subway line is a good idea when COTA can't even survive without a subsidy.

Yep. OR maybe they can just tax the people that want it until they have enough to fund it? Donate as much as you can and we'll let you know when it's doable!

Cue picture of donatation thermometer with subway at the top and tards throwing their credit cards at it

They're on the right track...

What they need is one that runs East/West and carries your car with you. :burn: Fuck all, what a ridiculously long drive.

This will be a project that they throw away billions of dollars on so a few homeless people can ride between the cities instead of chillin' in a bus station. Besides, the drive is nice, 85mph speed limit in Texas buddy.

Oh man, what a solution to all that unbearable traffic between downtown and campus.

:dumb:

(I would actually support a roughly diamond-shaped, above ground light rail loop connecting Upper Arlington, Polaris, Easton and the Short North....)

I'm all about public transit but this is fucking retarded. What they need to do is tear COTA to pieces and rebuild it into something well planned and efficient. as it is COTA is a clusterfuck and does as much damage as good.

if COTA can prove that it can run a bus system efficiently, then maybe we give a shot at ABOVE ground rail.

I would vote for a high speed / semi-high speed rail that connects Cinci / Cbus / Cleve (maybe dayton?) before I voted for any sort of light rail system in cbus.

the construction alone would take 10 years and the city simply isn't big enough to support it. So we're going to tax a guy who lives in Reynoldsburg and works in Westerville to pay for a light rail system that he will never use? makes sense.

I would vote for a high speed / semi-high speed rail that connects Cinci / Cbus / Cleve (maybe dayton?) before I voted for any sort of light rail system in cbus.

the construction alone would take 10 years and the city simply isn't big enough to support it. So we're going to tax a guy who lives in Reynoldsburg and works in Westerville to pay for a light rail system that he will never use? makes sense.

A circular rail that follows 270 would have to be incorporated in some way. it's the only way it makes any sense

A circular rail that follows 270 would have to be incorporated in some way. it's the only way it makes any sense

They'll build it. But for cost reasons, it'll end up circling Buckeye lake and collecting dust. All those involved will shunt responsibility with a shrug of the shoulders and the purchase of pants with bigger pockets.

Anyone remember this?

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/03/11/new-albany-ohio-potholes-fog-make-for-damaging-commute-for-cars-on-161.html

How about instead of dreaming about this horseshit they actually stop holding up ODOT in fixing the roads running through their city? Or maybe taking a little responsibility in fixing the roads that are their problem?

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/newalbany/news/2015/04/13/route-161-paving-moved-up-two-years.html

To this day when I drive on 161 (multiple times a day, every day) I'm still trying to avoid all the rough spots where they didn't bother doing any patching until well into spring, and did a horrible job at it.

So what's going to happen to this light rail when it starts to deteriorate because they don't feel the need to do any kind of maintenance ever? Come up with another scheme like the red light camera bribery to pay for it?