Buying salvage motorcycles - anyone done it?

craig71188

I am looking to "repower" one of the D Sports Racers over the winter. I will need to purchase a late model bike motor. Since we use the harness etc. it is easiest to purchase a wrecked/salvage bike and remove what we need and part out the rest.

In looking at COPART, some stuff you can buy outright, some you need to use a broker. Other sites will proxy bid for you for a fee and have the appropriate licenses. Anyone use any of these? Experiences good/bad?

Just want to get a little educated before I jump in.

I have tried to do it several times though Copart without any success, so can't speak to the finalization process. I have heard some horror stories from others about undisclosed lot fees that the holder of the vehicle will try to charge but that's about it.

do you know what engine you want? Is it a specific one or will any do? The reason I ask is that goodwill sometimes gets motorcycles and has a 1990 kawasaki concours right now which is the same engine as the 1990 zx10. Also Rice Paddy downtown has plenty of bikes they are taking apart and might have one (although their prices aren't always great).

I have tried to do it several times though Copart without any success, so can't speak to the finalization process. I have heard some horror stories from others about undisclosed lot fees that the holder of the vehicle will try to charge but that's about it.

do you know what engine you want? Is it a specific one or will any do? The reason I ask is that goodwill sometimes gets motorcycles and has a 1990 kawasaki concours right now which is the same engine as the 1990 zx10. Also Rice Paddy downtown has plenty of bikes they are taking apart and might have one (although their prices aren't always great).

Thanks Kerry. Exact engine is still not finalized though a '06 up ZX14 is near the top of the list or '10 up Suzuki 1300. Rice Paddy has me on their "wish list" (they have been good to me on some smaller stuff I've needed - but they don't see real new stuff that often). I do watch Goodwill & VOA auctions, but again, late model stuff is typically not their thing.

We are running an '02 Yamaha R1 in one car and an older ZX11 (carbs) in the other. I have a F.I. ZX10, but may take the 100 lb weight penalty in the KAW powered car (it's heavy anyway) and go with more displacement.