FM Modulator Recommendations

zeitgeist57

I could very well be wrong, but wouldn't that be completely different signals that don't link? Getting a data signal to communicate with with frequency seems like going from High speed to dial up. I have a USB kit installed in the STi, so I can stream. I did not do the install, but was walked through how he did it. I hate wires, and I understood it pretty well. I would think what you are looking for, if it is out there, would become frustrating after a short time. At which point, you probably would go with a USB kit.

On another note, simply replacing the head unit with anything current today, would have a USB for streaming. A head unit like that can be as low as around $100, and again are fairly easy to install. At which point, it would probably have bluetooth, which would fix what you want to do as well.

Not much help. Just my thought on it.

Clay I've had no luck at all trying to use them with any amount of clarity or happiness. They all suck. Our 2007 minivan has a single CD and no input on the front similar to your situation.

As Joe noted, a good solid aftermarket might be the way to go. I'm going to look at that route or the adaption of a hard-wire connection in some way as I think we're going to keep it for another couple years.

/\/\

What he said. I've tried a few different FM modulators over the years and they all pretty much sucked, even the supposedly better Belkin branded ones.

Course, it's been 3 or 4 years since I tried using one so maybe there is something better on the market now but I doubt it.

You can buy a cable that connects to the Sirius receiver. Unless you use Sirius, it's the cleanest method IMO. I ran it through the B pillar, under the carpet and drilled a small hole with a female 3.5mm connector into the center cubby.

*Edit* Just saw you mentioned using the Sirius. If you can use the App and subscription from your phone it is worth it just to have the ability to play Spotify/Pandora.

Thanks for the ideas, guys! The V came with an iPod wire that goes under the drivers' seat (to connect an iPod and be controlled by the factory head unit), but even with adapters I couldn't get an old iPhone4 or my iPhone5s to work with the head unit.

I did end up buying a $17 Amazon special...will let you guys know how much it sucks. :fa: I do appreciate the feedback but Sirius just turned off in the V today and it was a looooooong f**king drive to Cleveland this morning. :lol:

Thanks for the ideas, guys! The V came with an iPod wire that goes under the drivers' seat (to connect an iPod and be controlled by the factory head unit), but even with adapters I couldn't get an old iPhone4 or my iPhone5s to work with the head unit.

Is there a software/flash update available through GM? My car has a simliar setup in the glove box and even though it's a 2014, there was a free update from the dealer that they applied to insure it works with the latest gear.

/\/\

What he said. I've tried a few different FM modulators over the years and they all pretty much sucked, even the supposedly better Belkin branded ones.

Course, it's been 3 or 4 years since I tried using one so maybe there is something better on the market now but I doubt it.

I got the Belkin blue tooth adapter, (which was hardwired in via 3.5mm jack) and it was absolutely terrible. Returned them.

I'd even look into replacing the cable through Cadillac. Those connections are known for having issues.

There are tons of options with same equipment. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cadillac+cts+ipod+cable&id=0DD68469FBF230C921785013969602EBC7646338&FORM=IQFRBA

6 weeks and you will scrap this idea and just place everything or upgrade.

I've got my wife a Jabra Bluetooth thing that clips over her visor. She can make calls on it and stream music from her phone through the FM transmitter. It works pretty well actually for being $25. Sometimes we have to reprogram it, but for her 6 mile commute, she doesn't have any problems.

I also have an old Griffin RoadTrip dock that worked really well in my old Mazda. That thing would block out all but the strongest signals.

Get one of the ones that plugs into the radio antenna and piggy backs on it. Been using one in my wife's car for years works perfect and sound is good too.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004613FCE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002U5XPBE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZA353PFS11SPM7KH817

Exact one I have works perfect

Just hardwire it! It's a GM, there has to be a cheap kit out there.

FM is the worst way to go. Even the cassette adapters sound far better.

Then once you hardwire it, you can tack on something like this so that anyone can quickly pair their phone with NFC and play music over bluetooth :)

FM modulators are shit. All of them. I've had two that died and started smoking. Even when they work, they suck on road trips where passing stations override your ipod and you keep having to change the broadcast frequency. Do it right the first time and hardwire it.

FM modulators are shit. All of them. I've had two that died and started smoking. Even when they work, they suck on road trips where passing stations override your ipod and you keep having to change the broadcast frequency. Do it right the first time and hardwire it.

http://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-JETech%C2%AE-Wireless-Charger-Samsung/dp/B00URUJWPW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440939606&sr=8-4&keywords=fm+modulator

Ended up picking it up...2 day-trips to Cleveland for work, 8+ hours of blasting Spotify in my car, and it's beyond expectations. :thumbup::thumbup: Showed it off at CC&C and the clarity is really great.

My headunit is reduced to nothing more than a single-station FM tuner, that processes an audio signal to powered BOSE speakers. :lol:

Spotify, Sirius, speakerphone/talk-to-text....it's all through my phone. I seriously wonder if in-car tech really is needed when a good "phone" is all you need...

http://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-JETech%C2%AE-Wireless-Charger-Samsung/dp/B00URUJWPW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440939606&sr=8-4&keywords=fm+modulator

Ended up picking it up...2 day-trips to Cleveland for work, 8+ hours of blasting Spotify in my car, and it's beyond expectations. Showed it off at CC&C and the clarity is really great.

Thanks for pointing me to this! I bought it after seeing it at C&C and it is one of the only ones I've seen/heard that actually works. Wife is using it in her van and is quite happy. :thumbup:

I seriously wonder if in-car tech really is needed when a good "phone" is all you need...

I don't know much about car-play, etc. but I think that's essentially what it's about. I love all the MMI crap in my car but really, most of it's duplication. I just want a nice size screen that is a mirror of my phone.

Best of all worlds as costs to implement are minimal, no additional upgrades or programming needed, no separate / different system, etc. Why re-invent the wheel?

Ended up picking it up...2 day-trips to Cleveland for work, 8+ hours of blasting Spotify in my car, and it's beyond expectations. :thumbup::thumbup: Showed it off at CC&C and the clarity is really great.

I will have to try this out. Cd player & sirus in the honda, but i want phone too. I just put a cd in yesterday for the first since i bought it.