College Football Thread v11.0

bicranium

Their main fan site, The Key Play, has been full of excuses too. It's pretty sad.

They take everything posted there as pure gospel. Look, the French guy is good at analysis and knows more about football than I probably ever will but in the end he's still a VT fan so his stuff is going to have a tinge of bias no matter how hard he tries. When he posted a couple months ago that he was more confident that VT would beat OSU than he was that VT would beat Pitt that's when my disdain for VT fans started. Most of them genuinely believed OSU didn't really get any better as last season progressed and other teams simply didn't have the talent/coaching to do what VT did to them. VT's defense IS talented and Bud Foster IS a great defensive mind but to say that MSU, Bama, even Michigan and PSU (whose defenses were statistically fantastic even with their dead weight offenses) don't have similar talent and coaching and OSU simply took advantage of dumb coaches and unskilled players? Please.

Whenever TKP's analysis was posted on reddit OSU fans would point out and paste links to tons of articles and analyses about how Urban and Herman started working on "bear beaters" pretty much as soon as the VT game ended last season and VT fans would just say the teams didn't do it right or didn't have the personnel. I can agree on the personnel as Urban said himself after the VT game last year that he could only think of two teams in the country with the players to try and pull it off - MSU and Bama. OSU ended up playing both and neither of those teams tried it because their coaches were smart enough to recognize the changes OSU had made after the VT game and knew if they tried the exact same defense VT used last season they'd get burned. And guess what? Foster agreed because he changed his own scheme up for this year's game knowing OSU had made adjustments and improved. And what is TKP's/French's reaction in his analysis? "VT should have just run what they did last year."

I wish Ross Fulton's stuff wasn't behind a paywall at Rivals. He tweeted when he joined the staff there within the last month or so that his stuff likely wouldn't be behind the paywall but sure enough, game 1 in the books, can only read a couple paragraphs. For those who don't know, Ross Fulton would be the OSU equivalent of TKP's French. Lots of football knowledge but still a fan in the end. But I would love to get the OSU-flavored side of the story.

And with all that said I'm done with VT. Rainbow Warriors in town tomorrow. OSU is a 40+ point favorite. I think OSU will probably put up 70+ a couple times this year due to the weak schedule and the fact that OSU has 2 QB's who are probably better than about 90% of the starters across the country. Tomorrow is one of the better opportunities for that to happen.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They take everything posted there as pure gospel. Look, the French guy is good at analysis and knows more about football than I probably ever will but in the end he's still a VT fan so his stuff is going to have a tinge of bias no matter how hard he tries. When he posted a couple months ago that he was more confident that VT would beat OSU than he was that VT would beat Pitt that's when my disdain for VT fans started. Most of them genuinely believed OSU didn't really get any better as last season progressed and other teams simply didn't have the talent/coaching to do what VT did to them. VT's defense IS talented and Bud Foster IS a great defensive mind but to say that MSU, Bama, even Michigan and PSU (whose defenses were statistically fantastic even with their dead weight offenses) don't have similar talent and coaching and OSU simply took advantage of dumb coaches and unskilled players? Please.

Whenever TKP's analysis was posted on reddit OSU fans would point out and paste links to tons of articles and analyses about how Urban and Herman started working on "bear beaters" pretty much as soon as the VT game ended last season and VT fans would just say the teams didn't do it right or didn't have the personnel. I can agree on the personnel as Urban said himself after the VT game last year that he could only think of two teams in the country with the players to try and pull it off - MSU and Bama. OSU ended up playing both and neither of those teams tried it because their coaches were smart enough to recognize the changes OSU had made after the VT game and knew if they tried the exact same defense VT used last season they'd get burned. And guess what? Foster agreed because he changed his own scheme up for this year's game knowing OSU had made adjustments and improved. And what is TKP's/French's reaction in his analysis? "VT should have just run what they did last year."

I wish Ross Fulton's stuff wasn't behind a paywall at Rivals. He tweeted when he joined the staff there within the last month or so that his stuff likely wouldn't be behind the paywall but sure enough, game 1 in the books, can only read a couple paragraphs. For those who don't know, Ross Fulton would be the OSU equivalent of TKP's French. Lots of football knowledge but still a fan in the end. But I would love to get the OSU-flavored side of the story.

And with all that said I'm done with VT. Rainbow Warriors in town tomorrow. OSU is a 40+ point favorite. I think OSU will probably put up 70+ a couple times this year due to the weak schedule and the fact that OSU has 2 QB's who are probably better than about 90% of the starters across the country. Tomorrow is one of the better opportunities for that to happen.

This is a great unbiased breakdown http://www.dawgschalktalk.com/2015/09/10/ohio-state-chalk-talk-beating-the-bear/

I used it to call out the VT posters on Reddit :)

Another VT clown on Reddit. God those guys think their coaches and players are the best ever

The fact that Frye's first instinct was to go forward to cover the short route implies that Frye probably didn't even have deep cover responsibility. VT was likely running inverted cover 2, so Frye was likely not even the guy that was responsible for Braxton in coverage. Instead, it was supposed to be one of the DBs that went with the motion.

Also not sure why you brought Fuller into the coversation. Fuller only had 2 completed passes on him all night, 3 if you want to count an underthrown deep ball that lead to a PI call. Thomas' catch also occurred when it was already a 3 score game, and the VT DBs were clearly playing more aggressive in order to force some sort of turnover and change momentum.

This is a great unbiased breakdown http://www.dawgschalktalk.com/2015/09/10/ohio-state-chalk-talk-beating-the-bear/

I used it to call out the VT posters on Reddit :)

Love the article. Though what's up with him saying they were in Lynchburg? Is this some racist Freudian typo?

Saw an article on Yahoo Sports today about the SEC saying that the Buckeyes shouldn't be #1 because they have too easy of a schedule. Aren't these schedules made a few years in advance?

We have games being scheduled almost 10 years from now FYI

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes.php

So, in reality, the Buckeyes have NO control over the current strength or weakness of their schedule. And the SEC are a bunch of crybabies.

Pretty much. OSU has some control over the out of conference scheduling and when they scheduled VT they were typically a top 15 team. But OSU has no control over the conference and the fact that Michigan and Penn State have been duds in the B1G East for so long now is an issue. Franklin is looking less and less like the answer in State College and of course it's way too early to tell with Harbaugh but his history says he should be able to right the ship.

Also, during the SEC's 7 year stretch of championships they always claimed their tougher schedule was the reason they did better during bowl season. Their teams were more tested. Now they're saying their struggles in the post-season are due to beating up on each other and teams from other conferences being so well rested. It's quite hilarious.

Quarter by quarter pick because I think our starters are out after the first drive of the second half. Hopefully Meyer let's Barrett and the 2nd team run the offense (and not give the ball to Dunn).

Hawaii 7

Ohio State 66

Hoping that Torrance Gibson gets some playing time in the 2nd half. I want to see this 6'5 length with 4.3 speed out wide.

Torrance is probably more realistically 6'4", 4.4. Still a beast. Have to see if his ankle is healed enough to go.

Any freshmen who don't play today (sans injured guys like Gibson and Weber) will likely redshirt.

Also, OSU going with the same jerseys from the national championship game. Big, gray stripes and black numbers on the shoulders. I wish the black numbers weren't there but other than that those jerseys (and their away version which was worn vs. Bama and VT) are absolutely perfect.