Now I have no reason whatsoever to look at a new S4

Geeto67

http://jalopnik.com/the-new-audi-s4-no-longer-has-a-dual-clutch-transmissio-1730778195

In Audi’s A4 press release, they clearly delineated that the car would be offered with a six-speed manual, a seven-speed dual-clutch, and an eight speed torque converter automatic. The S4, it’s clear, is getting only the last of those three.

Fuck Audi. Fuck them right in each of those 4 rings.

I honestly foresee all manuals slowly dying away except pony cars and maybe a few shitboxes over the next 15 years.

How the hell are people going to thumb their asses, text, and lick said thumb while driving if they have to shift too?!

I think that half the people I know can drive stick. It's only that high since I know a lot of people through racing too.

http://jalopnik.com/the-new-audi-s4-no-longer-has-a-dual-clutch-transmissio-1730778195

Fuck Audi. Fuck them right in each of those 4 rings.

The fact that the last one isn't the dual clutch is reason enough to stop reading...

Also, the US was the last place you could get a manual in the S4.

Not sure if I'm more disgusted by the death of yet another manual in a car that SHOULD have a manual option, or that I agree with you on something.

I found this very amusing yet true. I would understand if they took away the third pedal for the DCT (I wouldn't like it, but I would understand), but hocking it for a slushbox is just blasphemy.

The fact that the last one isn't the dual clutch is reason enough to stop reading...

Also, the US was the last place you could get a manual in the S4.

Cant believe you would take the manual away and then not offer the dual clutch.

The ZF is not bad, my moms Q5 has it but its nothing like the duel clutch.

I honestly foresee all manuals slowly dying away except pony cars and maybe a few shitboxes over the next 15 years.

This. Although with the prices of pony cars going up & up, the 3rd pedal might disappear faster than you think.

LOL, is it better to have a dual clutch and not use it? or never have one? GM LOL

To be fair, GM will put a manual in things where people sometimes go WTF like the Buick Verano and Regal (although dropped for 2015), and they put them in kind of obvious cars like the Camaro 6 cyl models and the spark, sonic, cruise, the SS, the CTS-V, etc... Dodge doesn't even put a manual in the 6cyl Challenger which should tell you something.

And then GM will forget to put the manual in some of the more obvious ones like the 6cyl and v8 colorado 4x4s or any of the full size trucks.

But yeah, the Big three seem to be behind on the DCT ballgame. Not that I like automatics, even ones that internally resemble manual transmissions and shift better than I do.

The S4 has a slush box apparently, so...whats your point. I could care less to have to work on dual clutch cars so I don't care if GM does it.

:dumb:

I was saying, Audi has the 7 speed dual clutch, which is what was in the 3.0T S4 and S5 until this new gen.

I'm making fun of both Audi and GM at the same time...

Only thing bad about Dual clutch transmissions are the control units, very spendy. Everything else is just metal parts in different arrangements.

How in the world are they justifying a slushbox in their sports sedan when they have an exceptional DCT on the shelf?

I'm sure it has to do with sales. It used to be that the "top of the line" version of a car was ultra-lux, a bit more toned down style-wise, and was all about isolating onesself from the road. Then there were the "skunkworks" type cars, the M3, the S4, the C43 AMG, et al. Cars that tore out all the luxury stuff and threw on mega brakes, tight suspension, manual-only configurations for the true petrolhead that wanted something high end and fast as hell.

But then those started being the cars that everyone talked about, not the ultra-lux "top of the line". So the rich guys got sick of people saying "Oh you got the S600? Should've got the S55, it's better." even though for their purposes, the S600 was more than enough even if it didn't look like it.

So what do the top of the line guys do? They go buy the high performance versions but they want things like power heated/cooled seats, backup cameras, auto transmissions, and all the other things they could get on their luxobarges. So the manufacturers respond, and over time we end up with M5s with piped-in engine noise, AMG cars that no one would ever take to a track, and an S4 available only with the worst of 3 transmission options.

Anyone with a dual clutch want to challenge my Audi slush box??

Honestly, their 8 speed is epic. Can handle 1000 hp and I can BARELY tell the difference between the Audi and my gtr when I drive them back to back. If you want a manual, then you're out of luck. If you pass on the car because it's not a dual clutch, then you're making a mistake.

On a completely different note, I've decided to pass on the mclaren p1, because I read somewhere that it is part electric, and I hate electric cars.