I have a raccoon in my detached garage rafter (9ft)... any suggestions?

missmy5.0

Put a radio/boom box out there, crack the garage door about 12" and crank it up LOUD. They will HATE the sound, especially bass and run out. Do it at night and wait a day. Worked for us at my wife's office.

Altnernative, buy a .22 or .177 Cal 1200ft/sec. air rifle for $150. I've popped a several over the years. You might have to climb up and get it as it will likely have a death grip.

I had the same issue with my large garage all summer with something digging underneath my concrete slab. I tried smoke bombs, live traps replant etc... put in a stereo let it run... no more holes under my garage.

Worked for me good luck.

If you do trap it, remember that relocation is not legal.

" Nuisance or sick raccoons may be trapped without a permit, but it is illegal to live trap and relocate them to a new area. In order to prevent the possible spread of raccoon diseases in Ohio, all live trapped raccoons must be released again on the homeowner's property or humanely euthanized. Consult your district wildlife office for further information."

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/nuisance-wildlife

Take a train ride and find someone who needs their raccoon killed. That person can take care of yours, and you theirs, without any suspicion from police. The crimes would be completely unrelated.

Haha

@ OP

First, ask yourself why it's there.

Food or water? Remove it.

Shelter only? Allow it to leave and fix how it got in there.

Won't leave? Make it uncomfortable. It doesn't want to be around you any more than you, it. Just be sure it has an obvious, easily accessed escape route.

I just cannot fathom why so many of you have such a hard time dealing with wildlife. And those of you who think you don't, it's generally because you think shooting everything is the answer. lol

Trapping is another alternative that was mentioned here. Even if you have to release it on your own property, chances are it's not going to want back in your garage. (Again, as long as you've removed the reasons that attracted it.)

It's just a damn raccoon. Shoo it out of there for shit's sake. Shoo not shoot. ;)

Seriously, good luck in your efforts. I hope you find a humane way to solve your problem, if you even still have it by now. :)

I don't see why racoons would be viewed as anything but a pest, and they should be killed. If nothing as for population control, there is no shortage of the little bastards. Nobody says shit about killing mice or rats, it's just a big furry rat, kill it. No issue again for you or someone else, no spread of desease, none of that shit.