It's maintenence time again

Mojoe

The temps are dropping and the cold weather car prep is about to kick off. I have seen a few people who have already switched over to their winter wheels and tires. It's still a little early for me to do that. I have started with is a fresh coat of rainx on the windshield, with new Icon blades. I also took the K&N filter off last night and washed it to get the Summer's worth of dust and debris out of there. I both of these in the spring also, or as needed, but usually in the Spring and Fall. I also changed out the cabin filter. Some of you may have read my thread earlier this year about how over looked this is to most people. The hot weather had us running the AC, and all that condensation collected the same crap I was cleaning out of the intake filter. Once the pavement temps are down in the high 30's, I'll probably switch to the Winter wheels and tires.

I use to do a paint sealing wax and detail before Winter. But, the car is clear bra'd for what I would worry about, so now I don't. What other cold weather work do you guys do?

The temps are dropping and the cold weather car prep is about to kick off. I have seen a few people who have already switched over to their winter wheels and tires. It's still a little early for me to do that. I have started with is a fresh coat of rainx on the windshield, with new Icon blades. I also took the K&N filter off last night and washed it to get the Summer's worth of dust and debris out of there. I both of these in the spring also, or as needed, but usually in the Spring and Fall. I also changed out the cabin filter. Some of you may have read my thread earlier this year about how over looked this is to most people. The hot weather had us running the AC, and all that condensation collected the same crap I was cleaning out of the intake filter. Once the pavement temps are down in the high 30's, I'll probably switch to the Winter wheels and tires.

I use to do a paint sealing wax and detail before Winter. But, the car is clear bra'd for what I would worry about, so now I don't. What other cold weather work do you guys do?

Throwing some sand bags in the trunk and driving the tank. Thats about it. I should get some blizzaks but eeeh sands cheaper. :lolguy:

The same typical stuff that should be checked regularly anyway, which sounds like you've got a handle on. Knowing the age of your coolant and fluids is something to consider. I need to fix up the wife's car this year with that stuff.

I do the same things for the hibernating cars every winter. All my cars have enough "finish enhancer" year long, so they don't get additional treatment at the beginning of the hibernation period.

At some years, the car stored on the lift would need an oil change for the next season, so that one would get an "extended drain and drip" period as oil wouldn't be replenished until the end. The one car wearing "more sensitive tires" also gets to park on specialized rubber pads to prevent flat spotting. Their fuel tanks are topped off and packed in to minimize air space inside the tanks which minimizes moisture condensation. No fuel stabilizer used. All hibernating cars have float chargers hooked up.

This time around might be a bit different. Julius gave me some rather expensive wax and three cars already have a fresh coat. I might apply it to the rest. Two cars need oil change, so one would need to be done soon and the other would happen while on the lift.

I don't think he's storing it.

Or are you Joe?

I'm posting this for the daily driver. Won't be putting winter wheels and tires on a car to store it for the Winter. The FD does get put away for the Winter, but that has a battery tender and is parked on carpet.

Changing the oil at 3k (this weekend) with semi synthetic (did at 1k also), then moving to full synthetic at 5k and every 5k after.

Diff and trans will get new oem fluid fills at 5k.

Purchasing winter tires this month, putting them on mid November.

That's it.

I wondered if anyone thought about putting a heavy coat of wax on and letting it dry for the winter.

It sounds like "too much of a good thing", but if it forms a physical barrier between clearcoat and salty winter spray, could it not just be removed in the spring with a dishwash-soap bath and a re-application of wax...just like we'd be doing anyway?

EDIT: Nevermind! Bad idea...just googled it.

Good points about an unbuffed wax coat:

- acts like flypaper, trapping debris/salt against the paint.

- sponges moisture and causes more damage to paint/mouldings/emblems in the long run.

http://gamerpops.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/the_more_you_know2.jpg

What wax do you use for winter? I just did a weekends worth of waxxing 2 weeks ago, this weekend I have a good opportunity to put on another coat.

Also need to get some 0w oil soon...

I've had very good experiences with Menzerna PowerLock sealant. Goes on and off very easily and lasts months.

My wagon sits most of the summer, so this year the car is getting oil change, tire rotation&re-balance, new Hella 700FF fog lights (4), Cobb lowering springs, alignment, rally armor mud flaps, and new headlights.

Basically everything that I wanted to do last winter and am now getting around to. Most everything else is in ship shape for 207K miles.....

i Use HD Poly seal, great product to work with.

but my winter beater, i think half the clear is gone off the car so.... yeah

the ram was done about a month ago, ill probably wash and reseal it and put a coat of Chemical Guys butter wet wax on top for extra protection

Good points about an unbuffed wax coat:

- acts like flypaper, trapping debris/salt against the paint.

- sponges moisture and causes more damage to paint/mouldings/emblems in the long run.

and those are the GOOD points? :gabe:

I'm of the school of thought that vehicles should be regularly driven and never stored. I drive mine monthly at a minimum, every two weeks even better. It's a rare winter in Ohio that doesn't have dry roads at least once a month. I don't take a rare or a valuable car out in road salt, but reserve that duty to one vehicle which gets Michelin X-Ice tires for the winter months only. Then, I try to keep those winter tires off of dry pavement, and only use them on ice/snow.

I drive >100 miles nearly every day and always have a vehicle which can get me to work even on the worst snow days, guaranteed. The last time I was snowed-in was in 1978.

This strategy has helped me keep ten (mostly older) vehicles in service with minimal costs and failures.