Mazda set to unveil new rotary concept

ShowHBK

The next engine was known to already exist back in 2007 but the page on Mazda's site for it is long gone. It was known in development as the 16x engine, but most of the community called it the 16c (to come after the 13b). The only solid information on the engine was that (at the time of development) it had up to 300 hp, a lengthened stroke, reduced width rotor housing, direct injection, and aluminum side housings. The two rotor engine was set to be a 1600cc engine giving each rotor 800cc which would have been been larger then the RX-8 and RX-7 engines.

What does this all mean?

The new engine for this car (SKYACTIVE-R Engine) will most likely be the 16x or 16c with Skyactive-R. If I had to guess, this thing will make 300HP and a bit more torque then any other RX before it. Everything is speculation at this point, but if Mazda is smart they will turbo this thing form the factory to give it 350hp. I honestly think that Mazda is making great progress with the engine and I am excited to see what comes out of this concept.

300 hp is cool and all, especially out of an engine that small, but, my problem is how well is it going to compete with the class its in? If its aimed for something like the brz , it will be a beast hands down if they keep it close to the same weight as the brz. The problem is, i see it being aimed more at like the mustang/370z/camaro etc.... in which case, again, unless they can keep weight down a bit, it will be getting its ass stomped

The Miata is the BRZ/FRS competitor. For this concept you need to think of an updated Eunos Cosmos from 90-96. 3 rotor sport shift auto with a sporty/luxury feel for a niche market priced higher than the Miata.

http://ra64freddy.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/p1-8.jpg

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp235/r_reloaded/EunosCosmo3rotorRE.jpg

300 hp is cool and all, especially out of an engine that small, but, my problem is how well is it going to compete with the class its in? If its aimed for something like the brz , it will be a beast hands down if they keep it close to the same weight as the brz. The problem is, i see it being aimed more at like the mustang/370z/camaro etc.... in which case, again, unless they can keep weight down a bit, it will be getting its ass stomped

Ya, I can see that being a problem with what class it fits in. With those big ass tires and long hood on the concept car it got me thinking It would be a DREAM for Mazda to make this thing a 20b/20c (3-rotor) from the factory with that long hood. Turbo? Maybe?

With no information on the engine its alllllllllllllll the speculation at this point. I'm very interested to see the official specs of the engine when then post it. How they will design a rotary based around Skyactive is beyond me.

There is no way with Mazda's emphasis on Skyactive being more then just the engine, but an efficient way to put the whole car together will it be heavy at all. It has always been just different enough from a Miata so nobody calls it a hardtop Miata, but I would expect similar concept, ie smaller, lightweight, and nimble.

Still miss the REW / FD and will keep my fingers crossed that this (Or something close) gets into a production line:

As stated above I would like to see the 16x Rotary with direct injection and forced induction (Assume something odd like electric/supercharger based off old data rumors)..

Oh yeah and hoping under 40K (They killed themselves back in the day with the FD and cost)..