Road noise help

everlight44

I have a 1999 Accord v6 with 126k miles. The tires I have are 4 Falken Ziex 612 (2 with 5,000 miles, 2 with 10,000). I got the car aligned when I purchased the first two tires and it seems to be in alignment. On some roads it pulls ever so slightly to the left.

I'm trying to figure out why my car has gotten unbelievably noisy at 40+mph. The situation is somewhat odd though, as there are speeds where the noise dissipates and then returns. At 40mph there is a loud hum, 45mph it goes away, comes back 50-65 and is deafening, then at 70mph it is not bad.

Tomorrow when I repair/check my Vtec solenoid I'm going to check my wheel bearings to the best of my ability (see if any abnormal play in hub/wheel), but there is no "clunking" or bad shaking in the car. I have not had the car up in the air but when I looked at the tires I did not see any bad camber wear and they still have a fair bit of tread.

Any ideas on things I should check? Or do I just have bad tires?

Thanks,

Sean

Like Cordell said even if they're tight doeant mean they're not bad.

One way I check them sometimes is to grab hold of the coil spring or upper control arm and spin the tire at the same time. Sometimes if they're bad you'll feel vibration in the spring. Got to really pay attention though and compare sides

Yea the press in wheel bearing are kind of tricky. Just make sure you dont but them in backwards or your wheel speed sensors wont read the reluctor ring. If you have a stethoscope you can have some one "drive" the car while its in the air and listen to see which one is making the noise. It might be loud enough to hear without a scope too

I watched some videos of people using hammers to smack them in (usually with a block of wood or the old bearing). Either they are really tough or they are ruining their bearings.

Currently it is annoying but I have some time to figure it out. Maybe give me an excuse to get a shop press

No way I would try putting one of those in with a hammer.

Check your tires, rotate them if you're not sure to see if the noise changes. If you need an experienced ear to tell if it's a wheel bearing or not it doesn't hurt to ask, it only takes a few minutes. If you don't do stuff like this all the time it can be easy to waste money replacing things you don't need and i hate seeing people do that.

I rotated my tires on Wednesday and the sound seems to come from the back left now. When I turn left at 20+ mph it is quiet, then when I straighten the car out it comes back. Might see if the sound goes away when I put my full size spare on. Thanks for your help