College Football Thread v13.0

bicranium

In the past 25 years, the University of Alabama has won four national championships (and will play for its fifth later this month), seven SEC titles, two Heisman Trophy winners and has produced hundreds of NFL players. Arguably, it’s been the most successful college football program over that time. But there’s one odd, bizarre and almost unthinkable blemish on ‘Bama’s football dynasty: It hasn’t produced a starting quarterback who’s won an NFL game since 1987.

That's crazy.

I can give props where they are due, and Bama has been the model of success for quite some time now, and they deserve that respect. But, obviously, they are not unbeatable.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I can't think of many Bama kids that have been studs in the NFL outside of Julio Jones and Shaun Alexander.

Off the top of my head

Lacey

Hightower

Clinton-dix

Kirkpatrick

Koundjoi or however you spell it

Mosley

Up shaw

Collins

Cooper

Ingram

Namath

Starr

Stabler

Bama isn't know for producing QB's so that stat isn't surprising. They are know for backs and receivers linebackers and line men. Basically every position except QB.

Off the top of my head

Lacey

Hightower

Clinton-dix

Kirkpatrick

Koundjoi or however you spell it

Mosley

Up shaw

Collins

Cooper

Ingram

Namath

Starr

Stabler

Bama isn't know for producing QB's so that stat isn't surprising. They are know for backs and receivers linebackers and line men. Basically every position except QB.

Google is your friend, eh?

I wouldn't call that list stellar exactly. Very solid, but not stellar.

Google is your friend, eh?

I wouldn't call that list stellar exactly. Very solid, but not stellar.

+1, how many of those guys have made a Pro Bowl post fucking Vietnam? Bart Starr, really man?

Like someone else said, Julio Jones and Shaun Alexander are the only studs over the last few decades.

Hightower has been a stud in New England.

Lacey and Clinton Dix have been studs in Green Bay. No comments needed about these two. It pains me to say his as a die hard Bears fan.

Cj Mosley has always been a top 5 linebacker in the league. Pretty sure even on that pathetic Ravens team he is still a top 5 linebacker this year.

Pretty sure Mark Ingram has been a pro bowler.

I think the point is that Alabama players seem to get extra credit in college simply because they play for Alabama and not because they are actually that good. Sure, some do go into the league and do well, but every school has players that do well. Same goes for Heisman voting. If and Alabama player is invited to New York, it's already a done deal because of the exposure Alabama gets. How many voters do you honestly think watched more than 3 Stanford games all year? This isn't to take away anything from Alabama as a team or a program, but they get FAR more credit than deserved and it's blatantly obvious to everyone except Alabama fans.

Lacey and Clinton Dix have been studs in Green Bay. No comments needed about these two. It pains me to say his as a die hard Bears fan.

Cj Mosley has always been a top 5 linebacker in the league. Pretty sure even on that pathetic Ravens team he is still a top 5 linebacker this year.

Hightower has been a good player, I guess we can split hairs all day about what a "stud" is. Clinton Dix has been above average, give him a few years and let's see. Lacy was nearly released a few weeks ago and has been garbage all year until Sunday. Mosley, solid player, not a top 5 linebacker IMO.

Mark Ingram was the 4th best halfback on the Saints until last season. He has been a disappointment his whole career. Only a bama homer would call Ingram a great NFL player. You can't just name every Alabama draft pick from the last half decade and call them studs.

I love how every thread turns into a Bama sucks/over rated and Ohio state is a godly program.

Now you're just looking stupid. Where has that been said? I think you Bama fans think there is this HUGE gap between Alabama football and everyone else, when in reality, it's a very very small gap.

lacey has not been a stud, bro. not at all. he's been ok.

It's that time of the year where I get bored and start looking back at recruiting classes. That leads me to the 2012 class, which is a lot of current seniors class (unless a guy redshirted)

The class was 25 deep on signing day and looked to be amazing on paper. As well all know, what is on paper does not always show up on saturdays.

Those who panned out:

QB Cardale Jones ***- We all know his story, no need to really comment on it

LT Taylor Decker ****- This guy has been solid the better part of his time at OSU. He will be a 1st round pick most likely

C Jacoby Boren ***- Undersized stature wise, thankfully that doesn't measure heart and toughness.

G Pat Elflein ***- Has had a solid career at OSU thus far

WR Michael Thomas ***- Best pure WR I have seen at OSU since Brian Robiske (yes his NFL career didnt pan out but he was the purest WR OSU has had in a while)

LB Joshua Perry ****- Pretty solid career at OSU and will probably find himself playing on Sundays.

S Tyvis Powell ***-Starter who gets shit talked a lot by fans, but came up with several big plays in his OSU career (OSU/Michigan 2pt conversion INT and Bama INT at end of game)

DL Adolphus Washington *****- Could go 1st round, will go first 2 rounds for sure

Guys who didn't quite live up to the hype:

DL Tommy Schutt ****- He was looked at as a steal after he flipped from Penn State. While he played quite a bit this year, he never lived up to the expectations in many peoples eyes.

DB Armani Reeves ****- He looked like he could be a player, but the head injuries said otherwise. I won't put him as someone who didn't pan out because he was contributing a lot before the injuries

RB Warren Ball ****- I don't know if much was really expected out of him at OSU, but he hasn't really done much either.

RB Brionte Dunn ****- Was used quite a bit as a freshman, then for whatever reason has seen his career kind of de-railed. He has a chance next year to get some playing time, so I wont completely right him off

LB Camren Williams ****- Another one of those players many thought was a steal in this class. He ended up nothing more than a career backup/special team guy here at OSU.

Guys who simply didn't pan out:

DL Noah Spence *****- This dude looked NFL ready as a freshman, however he couldn't let go of the X and transferred out. He will still end up in the league most likely, just not via OSU.

DL Se'Von Pittman ****- Transferred out

LB David Perkins ****- Probably most famous for tackling Brutus during practice. He didnt' finish his career at OSU needless to say.

LB Jamal Marcus **** Transferred to Akron

LB Luke Robers ***- Transferred to Harvard

S Najee Murray ****- Transferred to Kent State

DB Devan Bogard ****- Was the first player to have his black stripe removed from this class. The injury bug followed him from highschool and never allowed him to be much of a contributor on the field

OL Kyle Dodson ****- He has my favorite college choice announcement ever, so that counts for something right? Again the injury bug riddled his career at OSU

OL Joey O'Connor ****- Got homesick and transferred out

WR Frank Epitropoulos ***- Quit to focus on medical school

WR Ricquan Southward ***- Never made it to OSU

TE Blake Thomas ***- Injuries ended career

Overall

8 guys who have a chance to play on Sundays (not counting Spence since he transferred)

9 players who quit or transferred out

4 players who careers ended due to injuries

3 players who have played, but didn't live up to or exceed expectations

1 Player who didn't even make it on campus

That's a great post thanks for writing that. Interesting to see how draft classes pan out.

Question, what is/was Urbans first real draft class, full team of his recruits, versus inheriting guys from previous coach.

2013 was his first full cycle

Jalin Marshall, Joey Bosa, Vonn Bell, Eli Apple, Zeke, Tre, JT, Gareon Conley, Corey Smith, Darron Lee, TyQuan Lewis, Billy Price

Guys like Tracy Sprinkle, Michael Hill, Donovan Munger, Marcus Baugh, Chris Worley all have chances to be starters next year

I've always thought it's a little silly to use players's success in the NFL as a metric for judging the value of a college program.

It would be like saying LeBron's high school is the best high school for basketball because LeBron has been so successful in the NBA.

That 2012 class was a mess because Urban and his guys didn't have enough time to get to know the players. They chased stars and it looked great on paper but obviously a larger than normal chunk ended up more or less washing out.

Also, on a non-OSU note, could be a bad day for A&M. They already lost the guy who was their starter for most of this season when true sophomore Kyle Allen decided to transfer out a week or so ago. Now they could be losing the guy who replaced him for a few games this season in true freshman Kyler Murray. Either to a transfer or MLB. Both were 5* recruits out of HS. Both now victims of Kevin Sumlin and his OC playing musical chairs with 5* QB's ever since the departure of Johnny Manziel. Told my A&M friend the second Kyler Murray got playing time this year (which was apparently promised to him/his family by Sumlin or their OC during his recruitment - amateur hour stuff there) that this was a bad, bad pattern that was starting to form in College Station. He kinda shrugged it off but now he's seeing the effects.