No gas/diesel cars by 2050?

zeitgeist57

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/12/states-provinces-euro-countries-pledge-to-ban-fossil-fuel-vehicles-by-2050/

This groundswell intrigues me, as I think it'll either never happen (thanks, oil lobbies!!!), or technology will truly get to a point where electric vehicles will be far more cost effective to operate, and perform better in speed and distance than ICE (in which case, I'd be happy to drive the 6th generation Tesla). However, I agree with one of the commenters that it seems silly when elected officials set laws around future events that may never properly materialize, and they won't be in the office for their agendas to enforce it.

I'm changing my stance in an ever-evolving world to allow me the joy of one gas-powered car that has a stick-shift. That's all I'll need in 2050. :)

Battery technology is the only thing holding electric powered cars back. The motors and electronics to build them are already available and robust enough. As they get better it will happen, and battery tech has already advanced a ton in the past 10 years. Even right now if car companies could just develop a battery pack that could be quickly swapped out in like 5 minutes (think popping your trunk and replacing the spare tire) to replace a dead battery with a fully charged one if needed, that could be the end game for a lot of gas powered cars.

I don't think we will have "no" gas cars by 2050, but I could see the ratio doing a 180 by then and most cars ( daily commuters) being 100% electric. I think it will take longer for the big diesel rigs to be phased out, really they are not nearly as inefficient.

In addition to battery technology, solar cells need to be better.

I know they've gotten some to be 50% efficient, but if vehicles could charge while moving as well (without needing complex and expensive on-the-road charging systems) that would negate the heavy lifting expected from many battery packs. Many big vehicles (buses, semis) have huge areas on their roof that would be perfect for efficient solar panels to maintain a charge both at rest and while moving...

I'm excited about improvements in electric technology - especially over alternatives like hydrogen.

Battery technology is the only thing holding electric powered cars back. The motors and electronics to build them are already available and robust enough. As they get better it will happen, and battery tech has already advanced a ton in the past 10 years. Even right now if car companies could just develop a battery pack that could be quickly swapped out in like 5 minutes (think popping your trunk and replacing the spare tire) to replace a dead battery with a fully charged one if needed, that could be the end game for a lot of gas powered cars.

I don't think we will have "no" gas cars by 2050, but I could see the ratio doing a 180 by then and most cars ( daily commuters) being 100% electric. I think it will take longer for the big diesel rigs to be phased out, really they are not nearly as inefficient.

That and what it takes to make the batteries and how not-so-earth friendly they are :)

The way things go, I'm not sure we'll survive to see 2020. And by 2050 I'll be in an zero emission two wheel convertible if I'm still around.

Everyone says this every generation. I lived thru the Cold War, so at this point, you gotta bring more 'threat' for me to get under my table. ;)

Also, probably won't be alive in 2050 unless there's some kinda crazy breakthru, and if I am, nobody's gonna want me driving. :p (If we're even allowed to drive on public roads anymore...) hah

In addition to battery technology, solar cells need to be better.

I know they've gotten some to be 50% efficient, but if vehicles could charge while moving as well (without needing complex and expensive on-the-road charging systems) that would negate the heavy lifting expected from many battery packs. Many big vehicles (buses, semis) have huge areas on their roof that would be perfect for efficient solar panels to maintain a charge both at rest and while moving...

I'm excited about improvements in electric technology - especially over alternatives like hydrogen.

I like to think about it in this aspect... Just over 40 years ago in 1973 Motorola made the worlds first cellphone which had a battery capacity of 20 minutes before it died and could only make and receive phone calls. Fast forward to 2015 and we now how cell phones that are lasting all day to multiple days (in some cases) thanks to technology and power saving methods and in addition to all that contain the computing power of some desktop or laptop. I find it mind blowing that a Tesla gets the range it gets on a single charge. I have no doubts that as long as we invest and push the technology forward it is only going to get better and better to the point where we could drive coast to coast in an electric car and still have charge left.

I think the traditional piston engine will never die. I would like to see the piston engine reduced in size, boast increased fuel economy (300+ MPG), and used as a generator to extend a highly efficient battery back running the length of the car. In addition, the car would cost every now and then on the highway and use breaking head to recharge the battery as well as the roof being solar panels to help out as well.

Not sure I'd believe anyone's time table, but cars as we know them today will change drastically in our lifetime. Car are damn near driving themselves, and battery technology gets better all the time, it will evolve into self driving cars that don't run on gas or diesel. I hate it, but it's true. I'm also thinking that there might be a window of time that converting cars to ethanol will be relevant and profitable. We'll see and I'll try to enjoy it while it lasts.

all you people saying solar panels on cars lol

the average output from sunlight is about 120 watts energy per square meter. Thats if you had a 100% perfect solar panel (you dont)

maybe it would capture enough energy to run the fans to keep your farts from reaching your nose

I've actually said this to coworkers months ago, that I believe traditional gas and diesel will be outlawed relatively soon, at least in CA and the states that follow CARB's rules. However, this does not mean all gasoline and diesel will be outlawed, just fossil fuels. Gas and diesel that is 'carbon neutral' would be allowed and legislation will be the method of forcing the infrastructure to change over. For my definition of 'carbon neutral fuel' you could refer to what Audi has done with e-gas/green diesel/syngas or any biofuel.

JMO!

I'm also thinking that there might be a window of time that converting cars to ethanol will be relevant and profitable. We'll see and I'll try to enjoy it while it lasts.

If CNG hasn't taken off as a "greener" clean- burning petroleum-based alternative to gas or diesel in the U.S, then I'm not sure how ethanol will be better (without MAJOR additions in tax incentives)...

If CNG hasn't taken off as a "greener" clean- burning petroleum-based alternative to gas or diesel in the U.S, then I'm not sure how ethanol will be better (without MAJOR additions in tax incentives)...

E85 has proven to be a replacement for gasoline, may require some work in some cars, but is a very direct swap with tuning. CNG requires much more work, almost reengineering, so I don't see that.

If you take GM (obviously I know mostly) for example, a large percentage of their cars are flex, even more require a simple reflash. The spin of ethanol being renewable gives people with old cars an option. Not to mention most of their cars could easily be self-driving, and I am willing to bet GM has prepared for the future.

I personally think electric cars as we know them are a bandaid. Yes batteries will get better but won't be perfect.

I think the future lies in Hydrogen fuel cells.

Pros:

No Battery

Can be easily recharged (once infrastucture exists)

Exhaust is only hot H2O

With increased efficiency of solar cells, you could use that to separate water back into H2 and O2 to extend refill range.

Con:

Catalyst for the reaction is expensive (hopefully an alternative can be found)