Range Rover

Forrest Gump 9

$40k budget.......

GO!!

Seriously, just the thought of it give me cold sweat and possibly nightmare. We had great luck with our Toyota/Lexus, but they are as exciting as a dishwasher. Just want something new and different.

If you like driving a loaner car, go for it. Good friend of mine had a brand new one a few years ago, it spent more time at the dealer than at his house.

I drove a Toyota Prado in Saudi Arabia and absolutely loved it even in v6 form. It's I was in the luxo SUV I would be looking at the Lexus GX

Man...a good friend of mine still has his mid-'00s GX460 with over 200k miles, and aside from some worn powertrain components he's replaced, it runs like it still has 50k miles on it.

I'm not an SUV guy...but if I was - and good with an automatic - I'd consider a GX- or LX- (or Land Cruiser). Those are some well built monsters.

Unsure why I like the Land Rover Freelanders (Looks only) so much. If I thought I could strap in a good V6 (Or a small V8) I would so grab one of these with a blown motor and do a swap.

This example is a super clean (Older) 2002.

$1000.00

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5390977226.html

[url=http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5390977226.html]

Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5 (yea, mine has been quite the headache, but its fun for an SUV) or the Infiniti FX50 (totally woulda grabbed one if I even knew about them at the time).

Yeah those are all good choices, but we do need a third row. I know some X5 do offer third row seating.

Maybe it's just me, but I completely can't see what's more exciting about a Range Rover compared to a Toyota/Lexus SUV. 2 sides of the same coin.

Can you get the Cayenne turbo with an MT? I've driven a GTS (V8 non turbo) version. I imagine the turbo version, if they make it with an MT, would be about as much fun as one can have in an SUV. But, that seems like about as different of an SUV as you can get compared to a Lexus GX or RR. Maybe more than $40k too, unless you get an old ragged out one?

Unsure why I like the Land Rover Freelanders (Looks only) so much. If I thought I could strap in a good V6 (Or a small V8) I would so grab one of these with a blown motor and do a swap.

This example is a super clean (Older) 2002.

$1000.00

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5390977226.html

[url=http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5390977226.html]

It's such a piece of shit.

Rovers were recently rated as one of the highest repeat buyers (Sadomasochism)?

It's funny but I think "quality of materials" is actually one of the reasons why Rovers have repeat buyers. The interiors are really nice places to be, the leather is really fantastic Connolly leather (not just a brand but a process), the carpets are plush, the fit and finish is excellent and it ages extremely well. Ever own an old british car? they don't smell like other cars - no stale mcdonalds grease and decades of pall mall grime wafting about the cabin like a 20 year old chevy tahoe, they smell like old victorian drawing rooms filled with trace brandy, cigar, and decaying imperialistic empire notes. and oil. Old british cars always have the faint smell of oil. Seriously it is the stuff gearhead sensory boners are made of.

Even their paint work is really excellent.

British cars in general have horrible resale mostly for reputation of unreliability. In truth they are complex cars that are largely bought by people who don't understand complex cars and defer so much maintenance that you practically have to rebuild the thing from the ground up by the time the second owner is ready to sell. But they are some of the nicest places to wait for a tow truck.

It's funny but I think "quality of materials" is actually one of the reasons why Rovers have repeat buyers. The interiors are really nice places to be, the leather is really fantastic Connolly leather (not just a brand but a process), the carpets are plush, the fit and finish is excellent and it ages extremely well. Ever own an old british car? they don't smell like other cars - no stale mcdonalds grease and decades of pall mall grime wafting about the cabin like a 20 year old chevy tahoe, they smell like old victorian drawing rooms filled with trace brandy, cigar, and decaying imperialistic empire notes. and oil. Old british cars always have the faint smell of oil. Seriously it is the stuff gearhead sensory boners are made of.

Even their paint work is really excellent.

British cars in general have horrible resale mostly for reputation of unreliability. In truth they are complex cars that are largely bought by people who don't understand complex cars and defer so much maintenance that you practically have to rebuild the thing from the ground up by the time the second owner is ready to sell. But they are some of the nicest places to wait for a tow truck.

New or used, they're still overpriced junk that costs a fortune to fix if anything goes wrong.