2016 Fishing thread

Mojoe

I went to the fishing expo this morning. Picked up a few lures and was looking for the next "gee wiz" fishing item. I didn't see anything amazing, that I wasn't already on track with. I was looking for fly fishing set up. I think I may take a stab at that this year.

I'm building my list for the Spring stock to add to the pond. It looks to be mostly maintenance with , Talapia, minnows, and a few more Largemouth Bass. I tested using Talapia last year, as a means to keep algae under control. They did a great job. They were good game fish too, and would bite often. Several got up to 15". They die off when the water temps hit 48 degrees. I tried to harvest them before they died off, but time and temps were not on my side, and I found them floating in mid December. They are pricey to stock, but I make that money back in not using chemicals to treat the pond, and if I harvest them.

I keep meaning to go out and do some cold water fishing in the pond. But again, time and desire have not paired up for me to drop a line. Is anyone doing any cold water fishing?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup especially now that deer season is over. last 3 trips to buckeye in shallow water have landed between 6-16 saugeye almost all on small xrap 8 stickbaits or big joshy swim baits. Its starting to be ice covered now so it will either be another chance to ice fish or the warm weather will come and melt it away. I dont know if you want to fish into the evening some night but I can try and let you know next time I'm heading out once it thaws out if you'd like.

I dont do social media really but have an instagram and post updates/reports after I fish. you can find me under 93stratosfishnski

I too went to the fishing expo and wasn't too impressed. Got to listen to a couple of the spears and didn't really take much away from it. The only thing it made me want to do is go to Canada for a fishing trip.

I think this might be the year I look for a 9.9 h.p. Boat for Hoover.

• 2 weeks later...
I too went to the fishing expo and wasn't too impressed. Got to listen to a couple of the spears and didn't really take much away from it. The only thing it made me want to do is go to Canada for a fishing trip.

I think this might be the year I look for a 9.9 h.p. Boat for Hoover.

Ohio fishing, especially Central-Ohio fishing, can be downright phenomenal, right up there with Canada (no, im not Joking). Only Caveat is you have to go balls-deep; you just dibble dabble here and there and it's going to suck.

And Hoover got Big old Saugeye :)

I did Canada fishing for a 9 day trip last year. The fishing was great, but being left the fuck along in a nice place was outstanding.

Derek, having a pond has me spoiled. I don't have the time to trek to lakes and shore fish, and I can't justify a boat. Although, I would like to tackle some muskie up on Alum. I thought about doing a CR fish day, but that could turn into a mess. That pond isn't that big.

Joe, my buddy and I fly fish Clear Creek, Olentangy, and Mad River a few times every spring. With a new baby due April 1, not sure how much ill get out this year, but I'll hit you up when we go if you are intersted

going to get the kids out more this year.....we didn't go too much last year. I also want to hit the run on the maumee this year. Not a fan of the crowds and catching walleye in the river is like pulling a water filled boot up but they're damn good eating and anytime I can put a few walleye in the freezer is a good day. Another one I haven't done for a few years now is going after flathead on the Ohio. If you can catch them just right that's a lot of fun.

Another one I haven't done for a few years now is going after flathead on the Ohio. If you can catch them just right that's a lot of fun.

Scioto around Columbus has an excellent population of Flatheads, although they don't get nearly as big as their Ohio river brothers.

Where is a good place on the Scioto to get the flatheads? I could a lot of fish at nothbank park in the water last year. Prob just suckers and carp I saw.

I've seen them caught at Northbank park from the pavilion.

The biggest trick to catching flatheads is use live bait. And target them during the Spawn (June-July).

Pretty Much go below any Dam on the Scioto from June-July and use live bluegill as bait. Surprising how many are actually in the river, just nobody catches them because they're not using live bait.

yep....I usually go fill a cooler up with bluegill from a small pond nearby and I bought a 12v pump that I run off a battery to keep them alive. In a pinch I've used goldfish but they're pricey and I've never really had a ton of luck with them. The bait by far I've had the best luck with are shiners.

I've always used them on the Ohio down by Greenup dam and have had a ton of luck on them. I would imagine buckeye is pretty screwed up now in general with the water being at winter pool. I didn't get out there once last year to fish. Heard people were catching fish out of it but not sure what kind or what numbers. I'm guessing channel cats in the 1-2 pound range by the bucket loads which is pretty par for the course at buckeye. Me and my bro have gotten into stripers out there a few times and crappie up by the marsh but again...with the water low not sure how it would be out there.

• 2 months later...

Been slammed with house project, but with the rain and sun mix today, I made some time to cast a few this evening. I just came in from the pond catching 7 large mouth bass in about 40 minutes. I'm pretty sure I caught the same one, three times in 2 minutes. He's the one in the first pic. I stocked 20 in his size this year. Good to see they are aggressive, hitting on that Mr Joshy chartreuse bait. The other pic is more like it. Maybe a little over a pound, but a fun fish to catch. Pic make him look like a huge fish next to my shoe. That's just the angle. He wasn't very big.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/E6B56735-BC96-403D-80F5-70CB8465A13E_zpshosztqjc.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/0210C6FC-CA1C-46B5-A786-2550852D5FA5_zpsynfqmyng.jpg

Been looking for a property to build on and carve out about a half acre pond for some time (I think I am looking for an unicorn property - Cannot find). Will definitely hit you up for some of the items you spoke about last year with the aerator/feed and maybe even why you selected the Tilapia.

An old neighbor dug out a nice sized pond about 7 years ago and really do nothing to restock it and they have some nice large mouth bass.. Hoping to get out there sometime soon and toss in some worms and top water baits.

My hope is to have a few huge bass, 5lbs. For a pond this size and the forage stocking I do, that should be able to happen in the 5 years I'm planning for. Blue Herons are a pain in the ass and protected, so I can't shoot them, yet they destroy bass population in ponds. My dog has done well to ward them off, but he's not outside all the time. Good luck on finding the property you are looking for. We were in the market for 8 months, before finding what we bought. If I was digging a pond, there are several things I would plan out to maximize fishing. Feel free to hit me up.