2016 A.D.: Should I still be leary of CVTs?

Nate1647545505

My experience with CVTs tells me they're pretty perfect if you live in the middle of Houston or LA/Orange Cty or some other large metropolitan area where you're always in traffic. The feel is almost seamless and the efficiency is more easily appreciated.

However, anywhere there are hills, high speed use or highway use, the feel of the CVT is just terrible. I currently would never own something with a cvt in a city like Columbus. I'm not experienced in long term ownership, so I don't really know about CVT longevity though I haven't heard of too many short term issues.

I am aware of the shit I'm about to catch for discussing this on CR, but worth the feedback in my opinion...

I'm eyeing the Forester XT to replace the CRV. I didn't find any scheduled maintenance in the owner's manual for internal components of the CVT (I still don't trust the rubber bands) but what did peak my interest was the jump in price of a replacement CVT. I don't plan to do any pulling - just something to cart bodies around without getting stuck at whatever test range I'm sent to.

I am aware of the shit I'm about to catch for discussing this on CR, but worth the feedback in my opinion...

I'm eyeing the Forester XT to replace the CRV. I didn't find any scheduled maintenance in the owner's manual for internal components of the CVT (I still don't trust the rubber bands) but what did peak my interest was the jump in price of a replacement CVT. I don't plan to do any pulling - just something to cart bodies around without getting stuck at whatever test range I'm sent to.

This opinion may no longer be relevant due to time, but we test drove the Forester XT in late 2010 when we purchased the RAV. It was probably top of the list but one of the things that "X'd" it off for us was the damn CVT. I don't recall offhand if they've changed the CVT itself or the software since then, but we did not like it. That, however, is simply opinion and would be upto a test drive for you. I would definitely drive as many cvts as you can to get a better idea what'll pass for you.

15 altima 6 cyl. here. CVT, not a huge fan.

In low speed and rpm it seems sluggish. Around 4k rpm it has a little pep but once into higher speeds or hills it seems pretty darn sluggish. Only 18k on the car so I can not talk about higher mile issues.

I'm renting a '15 Ford Focus with 22k miles on it, and the tranny shudders when I'm rolling off from stop. When it's cold, the pulleys hunt up and down the rev band. It's a really disconcerting feeling.

Again - I realize it's an Avis rental car, but if you're going for a CVT, make sure you're at least the FIRST owner of the car - or you have a really good idea of who the P.O.'s were before you.

I'm renting a '15 Ford Focus with 22k miles on it, and the tranny shudders when I'm rolling off from stop. When it's cold, the pulleys hunt up and down the rev band. It's a really disconcerting feeling.

Again - I realize it's an Avis rental car, but if you're going for a CVT, make sure you're at least the FIRST owner of the car - or you have a really good idea of who the P.O.'s were before you.

Common problem. My girl has a 14 and the trans is a POS. many have been returned under lemon law suites.

I'm renting a '15 Ford Focus with 22k miles on it, and the tranny shudders when I'm rolling off from stop. When it's cold, the pulleys hunt up and down the rev band. It's a really disconcerting feeling

Coworker has a newer focus that does the same thing. Another coworker has an escape? and it is so bad it will sometimes stall the motor completely. Both have been to the dealer multiple times, and still do it.

FORD CVT LOL