Talk me OUT of buying a car

coltboostin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These thread typically start the other way-but talk me OUT of buying a E60 535xi!

Criteria-

TRUE DD. Great for winter. AWD preferred but not mandatory

Fun. If its not a sports car, it can pretend to be one

Auto. Needs to be wife-on the go- friendly

Kid seat approved-the need leg room to! 4 doors preferred

Power-Coming from a CTS-V- 300hp won’t cut it.

Upkeep-I don’t want to work on it much-but I can do ti all myself-so this is a debatable factor. If I can turn a wrench and take it to 300k miles, I'll take it!

ADULT car-I take clients in my car-cant be a tin can rice box

Resale-I hate losing on a purchase! Goal is 10% or 3k (whichever is less) or less cash loss in 3 years.

Price point-does not matter as long as the residual is there.

How I ended up with a E60 (2007-2010 5series) 535xi

1) Turbos- duh! Cobb or jb4 and I am at 360+whp. Add a few other goodies and I am sniffing 400whp

2) AWD/Auto is seemingly bulletproof in these carts. Great trans programming to boot.

3) Fun- read below!

4) Pricepoint. You can get very clean examples for 10k and under. WTF?

Im open to other recommendations! GO :)

I'd say good luck finding a well taken care of model that will get to 300k-miles without you getting nickle and dimmed to death. Love the cars but they just aren't going to last that long IMO without some cost. There is a reason they are cheap, EVERYTHING starts at $1k and goes up at the dealer. Ya, you can do it all yourself and save a TON but that's why people dump them (same with the S-class, 7-series, etc.). Not to mention people want the latest and greatest so when the new one hits the street, the old ones aren't desired by the people that can buy a new one every year.

If you can find one for $10k and under that's CLEAN go for it, but I think you'll spend way more than that over the few years you own it. I'd buy something that costs a little more but will be newer, less miles, etc..

Another option that is big enough and done losing money is the 04-06 Cayenne Turbo. 450-500 hp and chipable. You can even get them with a hitch.

Nobody gets a hook up on Porsche parts prices. Everyone gets fucked!!

If you;re looking for a cheap "luxury sedan" for DD use, just snag one of these.Turbo diesel, good MPG. Reliable.Just find one with better miles, than this turd.. E320 CDIhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-CDI-/191825246001?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ca9acf731:g:jV0AAOSwezVWwlAG&item=191825246001

I randomly drove one local. Motor was loud (expected I guess?) Interior was ok, liked the wheels. Felt slow compared to the N54, and Im not sure if there are good tuning options to turn them up? Great suggestion though. Only other thing is I am really looking to stay AWD-if I let RWD come into the fold I’d probably just wait for the right CTS-V

I can't talk you out of a 535xi, it's a pretty damn good car for what you need it to do. And you are right about audi's murdering people with maint, although the A3 I have has been pretty good (to be fair I do a lot of preventative maint).

I helped a buddy to a timign job on his V8 S4. 6 horus later, I left, job was 55% done, and said Id never buy an Audi!! LOL

I'd say good luck finding a well taken care of model that will get to 300k-miles without you getting nickle and dimmed to death. Love the cars but they just aren't going to last that long IMO without some cost. .

If you can find one for $10k and under that's CLEAN go for it, but I think you'll spend way more than that over the few years you own it. I'd buy something that costs a little more but will be newer, less miles, etc..

I agree to a point. I have driven a few 535's now and although more expensive than the others, there is one that has always been dealer serviced and it stands out above the rest in every aspect. It looks, smells, and drives like a brand new car. Literally-not one squeak, rattle, shimmy, speck of oil anywhere, freaking nothing. Maybe the dealer does do it better?

We may have a winner.....

I think you'd be able to drive a v in the anything but the deepest snow with the right tires. Simple boltons puts you deep in the 11's, even 10's. Interior, fit, finish, and style are great. And it's an Ls motor, so there's good reliability and tons of potential

You know what I say every time I see a 3series or 5series bmw???

Absolutely nothing

I think you'd be able to drive a v in the anything but the deepest snow with the right tires. Simple boltons puts you deep in the 11's, even 10's. Interior, fit, finish, and style are great. And it's an Ls motor, so there's good reliability and tons of potential

Absolutely nothing

That is fair. Im kind of OK with that though. Not looking to shock the world-just get to work and fell somthing when I mash the gas. What about an M5?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=44131&endYear=2017&keywordPhrases=sport%2Csport&modelCode1=5_SERIES&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=595712&makeCode1=BMW&startYear=2009&firstRecord=0&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=423267706&mmt=%5BBMW%5B%5D%5B5_SERIES%5B%5D%5D%5D&listingId=423528877&Log=0

Not local-out a full M-Packege without the coslty problematic drivetrain. Cant get a CTS-V right now for twice that, and the only area the CTS-V would trump this thing is power.

Absolutely nothing

That is fair. Im kind of OK with that though. Not looking to shock the world-just get to work and fell somthing when I mash the gas, and stay under the radar if I pass the occasional smokey at 85mph :)

If I want to cause shock and awe, I will just drive the RX-7 to work :)

That is fair. Im kind of OK with that though. Not looking to shock the world-just get to work and fell somthing when I mash the gas, and stay under the radar if I pass the occasional smokey at 85mph :)

If I want to cause shock and awe, I will just drive the RX-7 to work :)

535 will put you under the radar a bit, can be awd, and has power potential, I get it completely. That car was cheaper than I thought it would be

Saab 9-3 turbo X.

Turbo. Awd. Different, rare and cheap.

Great option, I don’t think I would be happy with the power- and the fit and finish is very GM. For the price-point-its probably the best AWD sedans car on the market. Matt@Sweedish says they are solid, reliable cars but fall short on fit/finish/comfort. Very utilitarian.

535 will put you under the radar a bit, can be awd, and has power potential, I get it completely. That car was cheaper than I thought it would be

Got to take advantage of good ol' BMW depreciation.

Great option, I don’t think I would be happy with the power- and the fit and finish is very GM. For the price-point-its probably the best AWD sedans car on the market. Matt@Sweedish says they are solid, reliable cars but fall short on fit/finish/comfort. Very utilitarian.

Got to take advantage of good ol' BMW depreciation.

Those years the interiors are very GM... Kinda get what you pay for though..

5 series will be the best option for a quality vehicle, but is going to nickel and dime you over the years.

All give and take.

JP driving a BMW Sedan... now I've seen EVERYTHING.

I've already owned 3! But they were all flips-so its not the same :p

5 series will be the best option for a quality vehicle, but is going to nickel and dime you over the years.

All give and take.

Agree. I am 100% sure the Sabb would have a lower cost of ownership.

And the winner is-

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20160321_195655437.jpg

08 535 X drive w/ Sport pack, Dakota Leather, Moonroof, Ambient Lighting, Nav, Cold Weather, comfort access. Sticker was 60k LOL. This was my favorite car of the bunch I test drove. Not the cheapest, but I got them to come under 10k, and they just put HPFP, injectors, coils and plugs on the car. It literally runs and drives like a brand new car, and feel much more engaged than the F10 (2011+) 535 I drove.

One of the reasons I love it-mint sport interior and dark wood trim. Sport seats are basically fully adjustable Recaros. Once I sat in these, it was hard to sit in anything else.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20160322_095116089_HDR.jpg

Also forced them to give me some free shit. Why not right?

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20160322_094844678.jpg

And as gay as it is, one of my favorite features. So unique

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/coltboostin/IMG_20160321_213950054_HDR.jpg

Appreciate everyone opinions! I think the next runner up would have been a Sabb 9-3X Aero for sure. Can wait for thing expensive to break on this thing! LOL

Great buy JP, IT NEEDS WHEELS BAD :)

if I could do it all over again, I probably would have gone with the 535x as you can actually get more car for less than a 335. I purchased the Cobb AP for mine as I was more comfortable with a flash than a piggyback. If you're in Columbus and want to feel how it drives let me know.

Edited by Linn

Good choice. Now time for an M bumper and a jb4

Looking at bumps and lips-but down the line. Hard to warrant spending money on a bumper/paint with a car this clean

Wow, amazing you can get $60k worth of 8 year old bmw for $10k in that condition. If only the M3s and M5s depreciated that bad

You can get M-Package 335 and 535i's for a deal if your quick to the trigger. Same looks-and a flash away from the same (or better) performance and a full M car.

Now buy a roll of carbon and spend an evening never looking at wood grain again.

18419041010_4e19295711_z.jpg

Looks great! But I really like my wood trim color. Very classy IMO

Great buy JP, IT NEEDS WHEELS BAD :)

if I could do it all over again, I probably would have gone with the 535x as you can actually get more car for less than a 335. I purchased the Cobb AP for mine as I was more comfortable with a flash than a piggyback. If you're in Columbus and want to fell how it drives let me know.

Fo sho. I have a buddy going to a JB4 that will be unmarrying his Cobb this week. Trying to get it for a buck-fiddy ;)

TON of car for under 10k.

I agree with the person above, it desperately needs new wheels.

Nerdiest wheels ever. Sucks the AWD has different offests so M wheels (and great RWD on the used market) wont fit. But, wheels are on the must-have list

damn, congrats. that's a steal. in for pics of you with a tucked in pink polo shirt, sunglasses, and that bmw hat. no homo

congrats though, good looking car

Thanks. I'd do it, but I dont do selfies. ;)

I will say time will tell if the horror stories are real with maintenance time and cost with the N54. I have owner several BMWs before, and never had to do anything more than basic maintenance or suspension work to them, but they were not direct injection twin turbo cars! I may get fucked-who knows! My CTS-V cost me about $59 a month to own with depreciation and repairs factored in. I'd love it if the BMW stayed around there after 3 yeas of ownership.

I will be honest with any updates/issues I have with this thing as time goes on. Already planning on a hack CAI as anything on the market is super expensive, or super generic.

Looking that sharp, and at that price, I wouldn't care if it had 200k miles on it. Very high miles on an eight year old car looking that good would just tell me that they were mostly highway miles. And I would prefer that over a 50k mile car that was short trips/city miles.

Nice score, JP. :thumbup: