Talk me OUT of buying a car

coltboostin

These thread typically start the other way-but talk me OUT of buying a E60 535xi!

Criteria-

TRUE DD. Great for winter. AWD preferred but not mandatory

Fun. If its not a sports car, it can pretend to be one

Auto. Needs to be wife-on the go- friendly

Kid seat approved-the need leg room to! 4 doors preferred

Power-Coming from a CTS-V- 300hp won’t cut it.

Upkeep-I don’t want to work on it much-but I can do ti all myself-so this is a debatable factor. If I can turn a wrench and take it to 300k miles, I'll take it!

ADULT car-I take clients in my car-cant be a tin can rice box

Resale-I hate losing on a purchase! Goal is 10% or 3k (whichever is less) or less cash loss in 3 years.

Price point-does not matter as long as the residual is there.

The CTS-V sold randomly (cash is king after all)-so I am in the market for a solid replacement. I loved the caddy-but I hated that I could not realistically drive it in the winter. With snows-it still sucked. Traction control was useless.

How I ended up with a E60 (2007-2010 5series) 535xi

1) Turbos- duh! Cobb or jb4 and I am at 360+whp. Add a few other goodies and I am sniffing 400whp

2) AWD/Auto is seemingly bulletproof in these carts. Great trans programming to boot.

3) Fun- read below!

4) Pricepoint. You can get very clean examples for 10k and under. WTF?

To date, I have driven

2010 GS350- Put me to sleep+plastic interior

G37x- I liked it-but I would get bored with the power

F10 535 (2013) very nice interior, but MAN they made it feel like an NA car. Hard to explain. suspension is super cushy...maybe too cushy?

Ford Fusion. LOL

Ford Taurus-Felt Like a tank, looked like a tank. Its a FORD just does not scream "luxury" was not a good fit for me

2009 CTS-V love the car-but not convinced this would be any better in winter. Prices seem to be falling fast? I struggle with this one!

2014 640i Grande Coupe. FUCK-best looking car. Biggest Price tag-to afraid I'd take bath on it in 3 years

2009 535xi- Nice interior- newer Nav works better but its not a deal killer. Sports seats are a MUST have. Felt tighter-and more responsive than the newer F10 car. You FEEL the turbos. Harder to explain, but much more fun to drive.

Im open to other recommendations! GO :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went from a CTS-V to an E60. Clients think it is nicer than it is. Never let me down, but it's had its share of small electrical gremlins you can shoe away with a programmer (~$80). 08+ have nicer interiors. I like it, but less than 12 months in and I'm bored. If I wasn't starting a company I'd be all over a few year old Alpina B7.

Its a BMW so its built very well and is a safe and nice place to be 99 % of the time in traffic, at this point its has devalued enough so its not a factor.

She will like it because of the reasons above and could give a crap about horsepower.

The only minus is the maintenance,but you can wrench so not a deal breaker honestly,I say get it.

If your looking for the pure cons about it there are not many outside of like stated the maintenance and cost of parts. At some point every BMW leaks coolant and oil but if you keep your eye out and fix the items needing repair when they start you will be just fine. Does it have I drive? I still hate that crap as a form of entertainment interface

Stay away from a DD that you will want to mod is my only advice. It sucks the money away from your true toys and, eventually, you will mod it so that it sucks as a daily. What about an Audi? Like the BMW there are a ton of engine choices and all are AWD. I love my wife's Volvo as a DD but it is FWD and LOL at power if that is what you look for I'm a DD.

Anything in the aftermarket for the BMW world costs twice as much so this idea of swapping out the turbos is not a cheap proposition. On the 3.0 turbo engines I believe the turbo is cast into the exhaust manifold and not a separate unit, so there is an added expense. I world honestly tell you to forget modifying it because in addition to it costing a lot, nothing free falls faster than the resale on a modded BMW.

There is a perception right now that the Germans traded reliability for technology and that maintenance is the the killer on long term ownership without a warranty. It's why the resale value on a $60k car is $10k 6+ years later. Honestly I think that perception was true from 1996 to about 2006 and much of due to "lifetime fill" fluids and early sensor problems that caused a lot of workshop time, and also transition from cars like the E30 and E34 which gave Honda's reputation a run for its money on reliability and durability. I think your E60 can be a 300k mile car as long as you keep up on the maintenance and probably won't be that bad maint costs. Don't get me wrong though, if you have a failure of a major component it will be cheaper to just throw the car in the gutter and go buy another.

Double post....but as long as I have the space...

Have you considered a 335xi? Same engine as on the 535xi but in a much lighter more chuckable package. The E90/f30 cars are actually bigger than the old e34 5 series cars and interior wise I would put them on par with the e39 in space and comfort. It's not going to be as fancy as the five and it will still carry the stink of "starter BMW" even though it is no longer in that space in the lineup (1 and 2 series filled that role), but really it's a solid car and really sporty for what it is.

e9x 3 series is a small car. I wouldn't want to put clients in a car like that, IMO.

B8 Audi's are larger.

C6 A6 would be hard for me not to buy, they're gorgeous and can be had with the 3.0T supercharged 6.

C6 A6 would be hard for me not to buy, they're gorgeous and can be had with the 3.0T supercharged 6.

I haven't looked at prices but what about an Audi c6 S6? 400+ hp v10 is hard to resist. I imagine they aren't easy to find due to rarity, but it sounds like a lambo when you roll through the hood.

My brother in law just bought a E60 535i per my recommendation. His only regret is not buying one sooner. He absolutely loves it and he spends about and hour and a half each way to work everyday.

The car has good power and Bolt ons and tune really transform the car. It has a timeless design and truly stands out, something the newer bmws lack I think).

When I am done playing with my passat wagon i will be moving to a 535 wagon as my daily. 535 wagon with m5 front bumper and nice wheels is about as good as it gets for me.

I think you've done a great job of narrowing down exactly what you want. I don't see why that wouldn't wok for you.

Only other thing I'd suggest considering is E55 or E63. Will be more difficult in the snow than the awd 535 though and you'll be dealing with a slightly older car. They've still aged well in my opinion and don't come off as 10 year old cars to most.

You're correct on the 14 bimmer...they are awesome looking cars but you will no doubt take a bath on it with a 3 year hold.

I went from a CTS-V to an E60. Clients think it is nicer than it is. Never let me down, but it's had its share of small electrical gremlins you can shoe away with a programmer (~$80). 08+ have nicer interiors. I like it, but less than 12 months in and I'm bored. If I wasn't starting a company I'd be all over a few year old Alpina B7.

Yes the 08+ I have for "testing" is very nice inside- really as nice (in some respects nicer) than the F10 I took for a day.

Did you have a Cobb or Jb4 on yours? Turbo car I assume?

If your looking for the pure cons about it there are not many outside of like stated the maintenance and cost of parts. At some point every BMW leaks coolant and oil but if you keep your eye out and fix the items needing repair when they start you will be just fine. Does it have I drive? I still hate that crap as a form of entertainment interface

Yes. I have read the complaints-I have no issues with it. Maybe its just user-error? Its 1000x easier than CUE

Stay away from a DD that you will want to mod is my only advice. It sucks the money away from your true toys and, eventually, you will mod it so that it sucks as a daily. .

I drove a JB4 only car and was super happy with it. Considering the Rx7 is a tune of the key away, I dont think I will ever take it it farther than a tune, and a set of wheels. My was happy with my CTS-V for 3 years with an intake, tune, and muffler delete. And for reference the Jb4 535i put a car and a half on me 40-140. :mad:

y. I think your E60 can be a 300k mile car as long as you keep up on the maintenance and probably won't be that bad maint costs. Don't get me wrong though, if you have a failure of a major component it will be cheaper to just throw the car in the gutter and go buy another.

Double post....but as long as I have the space...

Have you considered a 335xi? Same engine as on the 535xi but in a much lighter more chuckable package. The E90/f30 cars are actually bigger than the old e34 5 series cars and interior wise I would put them on par with the e39 in space and comfort. It's not going to be as fancy as the five and it will still carry the stink of "starter BMW" even though it is no longer in that space in the lineup (1 and 2 series filled that role), but really it's a solid car and really sporty for what it is.

Yes, I checked out a 335i. It is much larger than the E46 I had, but the interior finish is much nicer int hre 535, and the extra room is nice. Also, the "stink" of the entry level is real! Sorry Linn! :)

I agree on all points- and I think the only issue for the current BMWs is the "lifetime fluid". I spoke to the tech at the dealer my buddy works at, and he has 310k on his 07 535i- He changes the trans fluid every 75k. Trans have never been out of the car, and the car has been on a flash for the last 100k

Linn's 335i rolls out with the intake and reflash mods he did. I've been looking at 535 wagons a lot for a DD. A 535xi or 335xi has to be the best sub 20k DD you can buy right now.

Yup- Intake/flash/DONE. And the Wagons are nice-but hard to find and I actually like the sedans body line better.

I haven't looked at prices but what about an Audi c6 S6? 400+ hp v10 is hard to resist. I imagine they aren't easy to find due to rarity, but it sounds like a lambo when you roll through the hood.

I have never, and I mean never, seen an Audi besides the OLD ones that didn't murder the owner with maintenance charges. Timing belts? LOL.

Audi under $10k? Not sure I'd trust what's left of it if it's price is that cheap.

Bingo. I'd trust a 10k BMW over a 10k Audi all day, every day

My brother in law just bought a E60 535i per my recommendation. His only regret is not buying one sooner. He absolutely loves it and he spends about and hour and a half each way to work everyday.

The car has good power and Bolt ons and tune really transform the car. It has a timeless design and truly stands out, something the newer bmws lack I think).

I agree. I dont like the F10 front end, and that the back just looks like a older 335i

I think you've done a great job of narrowing down exactly what you want. I don't see why that wouldn't wok for you.

Only other thing I'd suggest considering is E55 or E63. Will be more difficult in the snow than the awd 535 though and you'll be dealing with a slightly older car. They've still aged well in my opinion and don't come off as 10 year old cars to most.

You're correct on the 14 bimmer...they are awesome looking cars but you will no doubt take a bath on it with a 3 year hold.

I will look into it!

On another note - the 640i Grand Coupe is one of the nicest looking sedans I have ever seen. I was drooling over an M6 a few weeks ago - white with dark gray wheels. So sexy

You simply cant touch this in a 4 door. I mean, just LOOK AT IT!!!

http://www.motorward.com/wp-content/images/2014/08/HRE-Gran-Coupe-0.jpg

It just screams luxury, money, sex drugs AND rock & roll!

Another option that is big enough and done losing money is the 04-06 Cayenne Turbo. 450-500 hp and chipable. You can even get them with a hitch.

With decent miles, they are still 30+k and carry the service bills of a 110+k vehicle...

E60 5 series is a much safer option....

If you;re looking for a cheap "luxury sedan" for DD use, just snag one of these.

Turbo diesel, good MPG. Reliable.

Just find one with better miles, than this turd.. E320 CDI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-CDI-/191825246001?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ca9acf731:g:jV0AAOSwezVWwlAG&item=191825246001

not to hijack but....can I just bitch for a second. WTF is going on in germany that they are building "redundant" cars that look better than the cars they are based on. Case in point: the 6-series grand coupe. At some point a german executive looked at the 5 series and said "we should have a sexy 2 door version of this car" so they build the original six series coupe. Then at some point another BMW executive looks at the 6 series and says: "man that's a sexy car, we should build a four door version". Can someone tell me what the 6 series does differently than the 5 series other than look way more beautiful?

this isn't the only case, just look at the BMW 4 series grand coupe: a 4 door version based on the 2 door version of the 3 series sedan; the Audi A5 sedan that is coming to the US: based on the A5 coupe a version of the A4, The VW CC which is just a sexier version of a passat without having been walked through a 2 door variant.

Have the Germans lost their minds?

ok rant over.

I can't talk you out of a 535xi, it's a pretty damn good car for what you need it to do. And you are right about audi's murdering people with maint, although the A3 I have has been pretty good (to be fair I do a lot of preventative maint).

With decent miles, they are still 30+k and carry the service bills of a 110+k vehicle...

E60 5 series is a much safer option....

I almost bought one in Cleveland. 80k miles, 2006 (more hp than the 04/05), carbon package, 0 accident, $18k.

Service isn't ideal. Brakes and such are $$$, but they are generally reliable.

I agree. I dont like the F10 front end, and that the back just looks like a older 335i

I will look into it!

You simply cant touch this in a 4 door. I mean, just LOOK AT IT!!!

http://www.motorward.com/wp-content/images/2014/08/HRE-Gran-Coupe-0.jpg

It just screams luxury, money, sex drugs AND rock & roll!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160316/4e5896a6db5c6ba4b0cf58c21a815091.jpg