Unplanned pick up... hmm great NOW what?! WWCRD?

99StockGT

So umm.. this happened this weekend. Came up through one of my car channels as available and ended up picking it up this weekend. With the current back log of projects I have going right now not sure what to do here.. anyone had experience with these things that would be useful?

a) I'm into the car at a good price

b) body panels are rough but solid car

c) 7MGTE turbo car, stick, targa top

d) All the spiffy options

Build it? Racecar it? Sell it on to someone who would be able to make it something cool?

Help me Tom Cruise! Err CR

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b452/LucoreRacing/20160417_203302_zps0objki3i.jpg

That's a big project. Starting with just an owners manual and building a car around it!

Ha! Yes I figured with this and the Haynes manual I should be able to build one with parts off Craigslist ;)

Hard to figure an accurate price of what these things go for as there aren't many examples of them out there for sale. Is it worth putting $2k or so into it for a rebuild, some small upgrades, and maintenance pieces? Or, punt it to someone who will enjoy it now? I DO already have a turbo car or 3 sitting around the work on already..

Well as far as road track type stuff, I already have a car or two I can do that with. This was DEFINITELY not a planned purchase hence why I'm on here asking for advice. Aside from the known head gasket issue, what have people that actually owned/ran these things experienced commonly?

A known common issue with these cars is trashy crazy bitch syndrome. for some reason they seem to be a magnet for liquored up and lacquered down cougars who smoke off brand menthol cigarettes. just speaking from personal experience here (including one ex girlfriend) but have known quite a few that drove these cars.

Where's ImUROBGYN, he's got a pretty cool one and knows these cars.

Seriously though, to me they look like excellent GT cars - good for long highway sprints at extra legal speeds, which you already have cars that fill that role. Sell it, put the money into finishing your pontiac or your volvo.

Pontiac has all parts needed, engine and trans are almost finished and should be going back in tomorrow afternoon. The volvo I already have all the suspension, brakes, carbs, and electronics stuff I need to get IT back running around...

I WILL agree with you that these seem to be a bit more white trash favored than most cars I have found myself owning, so the image certainly detracts from the value to me. But.. they seem to be a pretty solid platform to building some solid reliable power if I need another one of those..

Hard to find parts for these now. You'll almost need another shell to grab parts from.

Replace targa seals, buy arp headstuds and a MLS headgasket. The trans in turbo mk3's is fairly stout, but I'd replace first gear thrust washer.

7mgte's like the Lex afm mod with a maft pro, get a drift motion turbo upgrade and it'doesn't be a fun beater car after you fix the hg.

If I had that though I'd 2jzge swap it and run a small turbo on thst with ano ebay ffim

Planned on ARP head studs and head gasket upgrades anyways, typically anything we touch turbo or not gets that done. So that's not a huge deal. Turbo seems in decent shape but that's always something to consider down the road. Definitely going to have to look into the targa top seals if its going to be something that sees rain, or could just run it with no top at all times as a convertible replacement!

Generally speaking, what sorts of massive pains have you found with these in the past? The appeal of having another 400+ HP turbo 90s car IS kind of making my car collector side start perking up, even though I have literally no need for this thing..

Other than the under torqued factory head, the only other real issues will vary depending on how well a 25yr old turbo car was taken care of. Of course, if it has suffered overheating in the past, whether due to bhg issues or otherwise, then it may suffer a few more related issues.

I imagine you'll do all the normal craps, ie; hg and retorque & all things cooling related (hoses, water pump, oil passages cleared, cap, etc.). Other than that, as Geeesammy mentioned, they do have their own little quirks and tricks to be learned to fine tune the vehicle. Until you're more experienced, knowing someone who's super familiar with the 7M will go a long way.

I've been considering selling mine and I've found that parts are hard to find, now. 5-10yrs ago these things were everywhere you looked. Now, buying a complete car can range greatly in pricing depending on condition.

Wonderful GT car. Handles great for its weight, eats miles up and is always comfortable and relatively quiet. And for those MKIII haters, I've had MKIV owners in my car who liked it more. Not many, lol, but whatever!

If Geeesammy can't help you, pm me and I'll do what I can, as well.

Other than the under torqued factory head, the only other real issues will vary depending on how well a 25yr old turbo car was taken care of. Of course, if it has suffered overheating in the past, whether due to bhg issues or otherwise, then it may suffer a few more related issues.

I imagine you'll do all the normal craps, ie; hg and retorque & all things cooling related (hoses, water pump, oil passages cleared, cap, etc.). Other than that, as Geeesammy mentioned, they do have their own little quirks and tricks to be learned to fine tune the vehicle. Until you're more experienced, knowing someone who's super familiar with the 7M will go a long way.

I've been considering selling mine and I've found that parts are hard to find, now. 5-10yrs ago these things were everywhere you looked. Now, buying a complete car can range greatly in pricing depending on condition.

Wonderful GT car. Handles great for its weight, eats miles up and is always comfortable and relatively quiet. And for those MKIII haters, I've had MKIV owners in my car who liked it more. Not many, lol, but whatever!

If Geeesammy can't help you, pm me and I'll do what I can, as well.

This is why it's nice to have a car group with all sorts of experience and rides. Anything I miss with will go down to bare bones and put back together again, just like to know where the problem areas truly are. Power wise, what have you done with yours? Knowing myself there's little to no chance I'll leave it stock so I need to be prepared down that path.