LS400 1st-gen: What to look for?

zeitgeist57

A friend is looking at picking up this used LS400 in Naples. High miles, but I've seen Matt Farah's "Million Mile Lexus" so I'm assuming that with good maintenance these LS400's hold up really well. The thing looks amazing for the age/use.

http://www.mercedesexpert.com/inventory/view/8889502/1992-Lexus-LS-400-4dr-Sedan-Auto-Naples-FL

Any ongoing issues with this model? I have no experience with the platform, but got asked as a "car-friend" to opine. Thanks!

Other than electronic shocks/interior electronics, pretty good cars. They make strut/spring conversion kits. I own one with 140k and every electric item works (has conversion kit all around). Motor was replaced at 90k due to doctor owning it never changed the oil.

A guy where I work has one. He said it had 130k on it when he took it to the dealer to have it looked at (his brother dropped something in the motor when he was replacing the starter, fortunately it was plastic but it still ticks now), when they took it apart they said it was the cleanest engine they had ever seen, not even any yellowing in the cylinder heads (he changes his oil religously). The car runs excellent and has had no problems besides the starter, and whatever was dropped in the engine.

There should be no check lights on the dash, and timing belt history would be a huge plus. Also make sure all the lighting works on the dash. I've seen situations where the gauges light up, but the needles don't.

It still requires new expensive Lexus parts, so exercising a very thorough check on all the electrical components would be in their favor.

Fiancée's dad is on his second one, and he's fond of buying them with 150k+ miles on them. He takes horrible care of his vehicles and they've still been very reliable for him. He did have to replace a starter once and paid like crazy to have it done.

I spent 20 seconds Googling "LS400 Starter Motor" and I see why it's so expensive: it's a RockAuto $125 motor, but one of those mounted-in-the-engine-valley-under-the-intake-manifold fixes.

Great info, folks! I appreciate it. For the longest time I loved old Mercedes W123/W126 chassis, but it's very evident that Lexus used that benchmark when designing the LS400, and it seems like a very solid platform provided the maintenance is up to snuff. I'll communicate a few points above to my buddy.

Every last one of those first gen RWD Lexus's are so stupid reliable it really isn't even funny.

That said lower control arms/control arm bushings (Dealer only) are stewpid expensive, and are a common problem on most all Lexus's from that era

There should be no check lights on the dash, and timing belt history would be a huge plus. Also make sure all the lighting works on the dash. I've seen situations where the gauges light up, but the needles don't.

It still requires new expensive Lexus parts, so exercising a very thorough check on all the electrical components would be in their favor.

Tanin Auto Electronix is your friend :thumbup:

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/mobile/default.aspx

Tanin Auto Electronix is your friend :thumbup:

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/mobile/default.aspx

Good thing about dash light problems (old car) is they can be fixed. Dash lights are pretty cool considering it was early 90s. They even included a first aid kit and a Lexus tool kit. Which came with an embroidered hand towel, in case those manicured hands get dirty. Mine was still in the wrapper lol.

When I got my first real job, I looked into Lexus LS and I decided to go with UCF20 instead of UCF10. One of the consideration is the all-aluminum 1UZ-FE used in MY 1995. However, that MY still had the twin distributors and a 4-speed transmission. I'd look for the one with distributorless ignition and 5-speed transmission; I believe MY 1997 is the start.

Subjectively, I prefer the look of UCF20, it seems grander and more elegant with its more upright grille and taller sides. It also comes with brakes that utilize fixed 4-piston calipers in the front. Bilstein has sport dampers for it and TRD front suspension tower brace for 80-series Supra fits.