Oil change question

mrbret

anybody put 10w50 in their bike? I read that its the absoulte best. Its obviously more expensive but the best engine oil out there for a bike.

I put in what the manual tells me to put in.... Nothing more, nothing less.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to bring this post back from the dead,but I went to the UDF on Morse Road near Easton and didn't find anything.Where can I find another UDF with the Mobil1 mx oil?I've got the bike in a million pieces and need to do an oil change while it is apart but couldn't find it anywhere but iron pony (there is no way in hell I am paying $12 a quart).Anyone know where I can get this shit?

I hate to bring this post back from the dead,but I went to the UDF on Morse Road near Easton and didn't find anything.Where can I find another UDF with the Mobil1 mx oil?I've got the bike in a million pieces and need to do an oil change while it is apart but couldn't find it anywhere but iron pony (there is no way in hell I am paying $12 a quart).Anyone know where I can get this shit?

When I got mine I had to get it from two places, The guy at one said the MX4T stuff he can not get, he has had it on order for about 2 months & never gets it BUT I went to Autozone or what ever it is next door to Iron Pony & they have the very same stuff but it is called Racing 4T, so i'm thinking they may be replacing the MX4T with the Racing 4T, the only difference I could find is that the Racing is also good for wet clutch's. I think it was only about $5.99 or $6.99 per/qt to.

Just an fyi, I got K&N filter from Iron Pony & it was only about $1.00 more than the fram one.

Good call Bret.I'll have to pick some of it up tomorrow at Autozone.They want way too much for it at iron pony,but I did end up picking up a filter.Thanks again for the info!

It's either Autozone or Advanced Auto parts. It's the one right outside Iron Pony though.

10W40 Racing 4T Fully Synth

FYI, I went to Iron Pony and got the 10w50. Its awesome shit. I can feel my bike run with less vibration. The gear shifting is better and my bike stays a bit cooler too. It was $50, but I'll only be changing the oil once a year so I'm not too worried about it.

Year old oil = major viscocity break down. I ride from February to Beginning of December every year and I change mine 1x when I bring my bike out of storage, about 3x during my riding months and 1x before storage. So 5x a year I change mine. I normally put 5-6k a year on my bike too. So about every 2 months I change mine.

I've read lots of stuff that says you only need to change your oil once every 3 thousand miles at the soonest. And that oils at up to 5 thousand miles show little chemical defference. Anything sooner than 3 thousand miles is just throwing money away because 1 day old oil is chemically unchange at 3 thousand miles.

I could never see myself changing oil every 3,000 miles. My bike is a little different though, having a dry clutch. Im running Amsoil 20W 50 In the engine with an Amsoil EOM filter. With Redline Shockproof Heavy Duty in the transmission and final drive. Change everything at 12,000.

I could never see myself changing oil every 3,000 miles. My bike is a little different though, having a dry clutch. Im running Amsoil 20W 50 In the engine with an Amsoil EOM filter. With Redline Shockproof Heavy Duty in the transmission and final drive. Change everything at 12,000.

different strokes, for different folks, er...bikes? my 250 eats oil due to the high revs. i hardly had any left when i changed my oil between 2000-2500 miles. :snowmanmelt: