Z31 300zx Turbo Oil pressure

TheLost

Recently, I noticed my Z (Kouki 5spd Turbo) making a ticking noise. Sounds like it's tapping the valves, and not a rod knock or anything like that. I deduced that because the oil pressure has staying pretty low until the car has ran for nearly half hour, and have given it a couple hearty revs, and even then, it is still a little low. I'm thinking sticky lifters/valves, or too light of oil. I think a slightly heavier weight oil would do it, but looking for a little confirmation. Any ideas from any of you with experience in the VG30E/ET department?

Thanks,

Lost

What weight oil are you using? How many miles? I always used 10w30 in mine when I had it with around 100k on it and never had an issue with oil pressure. Also, does the tick disappear when you get oil pressure, if not then are you sure its not an exhaust tick? Mine had a broken exhaust stud and it had a tick that sounded like a lifter. One thing to try to bring up oil pressure (I assume the pressure used to be higher and that you have not changed weights), 500 miles before you change the oil add some seafoam to it. The other way to clean your motor well would be to change the oil and replace one quart with atf then change the oil again after about 1000 miles. Either way will clean the inside of your motor really well in case you have any kind of sludge issues or debris in the pan that could be clogging up the pickup screen. Otherwise, your pump may be worn.

Right now it has Rotella T6 5w40 in it. I know, I know, heavy duty "diesel oil." It was a habit started by the previous owner that I've maintained after reading around that quite a bit of VG30ETs were running it great, because it has a high ZDDP rating which is good for our old flat valve style cars.

That being said I've been thinking of switching back to 10w30 amsoil or similar, buy kinda worried about modern formulas eating up my seals.

It looks like it's gone back to normal. It may just be that the previous owner drove it rarely, and now I DD it, probably just blowing out cobwebs.

Though now I am getting lean AFR *facepalm*

Next week I'm going to do plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor, oil change w/ filter, and check the TPS and MAF to see if they need replaced... which I'm starting to think they might based on the behavior of the car as far as AFR goes. Might do injectors, fuel filter, and pump while I'm at it.